Models: Hurricane Sandy to become Hybrid "Perfect" Storm

drawkcabi

They were assured of leaving this morning. I checked the flight at 4 am; it was on time, at gate (had been the one from the night before).

They cancelled all the ones after the first three morning flights (eta - that was done on Sunday night, and passengers were notified).

The airlines know when they are going to cancel stuff in advance, with something like this. They had cancelled what they were going to cancel by Sunday night; including closing all 3 NY airports for Monday and Tuesday. If you check your flight, and it is "on time", and the hurricane hasn't yet hit (it was supposed to later in the day), get the f - out of there, if you have a ticket.

Or let a grateful nonrev passenger like me have it :) Had everyone shown up, I would have been stuck in a hotel for days!

Really? my flight out of Boston last night got canceled. Luckily I can stay with at my friend's nice apartment paid for by his filthy Mitt Romney lucre.

Which borough are you in? I'm in Staten Island. My basement is definitely getting flooded. We've put most of our basement furniture on cinder blocks. I think Governor Coumo and Mayor Bloomberg are on top of this as well.

I'm in the East Village. It's getting a bit intense, but I'm not worried- mostly bored.

Well, naturally that same short in the evacuation alarm in my building is going on again. Apparently water leaking through the elevator shaft sets it off. Would've been nice if they'd fixed that last time.

Is this a girl year or a boy year for hurricanes? Don't they name them all girls one year and all boys the next?

Just regular ole rain here in central New York. We've got extra wine just in case!

No they alternate between boy and girl names but each year it starts with the alternate. So if last year A was a boy's name, then this year A is a girl's name. Based on the list for 2012, Sandy is a girl, as R was Rafael and T is Tony. See this link here.http://geography.about.com/od/lists/a/2012hurricane.htm

I'm in the East Village. It's getting a bit intense, but I'm not worried- mostly bored.

You did stock up on alcohol like you said, right? Right?

Husband person was walking the dog when a tree went down ahead of him. Stay safe everyone (particularly with furry friends).

Yikes. Stay safe indeed.

Husband person was walking the dog when a tree went down ahead of him. Stay safe everyone (particularly with furry friends).

Wow! Glad he's (and the dog) are ok! Yes stay safe.

I think I'm going to have to put down puppy papers tonight because my girl dog has refused to do anything when I take her out except give me the evil eye.

AFAIK, they alternate girl/boy/girl/boy/girl during the season.

Correct. This is a year when the even-numbered storms get "female" names. Sandy is the 18th named storm even though "S" is the 19th letter, because they skip "Q".

Xray,

You're absolutely right. My family was very lucky during "Hugo" to be on the better side of the storm. Sandy is very strange. I wonder if the warm waters of Chesapeake Bay are feeding it now?

Probably not significantly. It's just not big enough of a body of water. Most of that energy is either from earlier convection or baroclinic instability.

I'm actually in the mountains of southwest VA, looking at anywhere from 6-14 inches of snow with blizzard conditions. So far just a lot of wet snow and rain. The biggest concerns around here are of course power outages and treacherous road conditions. Heavy snows are not really uncommon here, and we're pretty well prepared. Just not used to dealing with it in October, it's usually a January-February problem.

My brother is in Richmond VA for work, and he said it's not terrible, just really windy and rainy.

Hope everyone stays safe!

Archived