Models: Hurricane Sandy to become Hybrid "Perfect" Storm

drawkcabi

You did stock up on alcohol like you said, right? Right?

Yes, first thing I stocked up on, so no emergency with the alcohol yet (thank the gods!).. Drinking Constant Comment tea spiked with bourbon, quite nice and comfy. :cheers:

Unfortunately the transition means very little, apparently, in terms of its impact.

Still got power up here, it's flickered out for a second or two a couple of times. Hoping to keep it, it's been really nasty out. I haven't heard the wind as much lately but I think there's supposed to be more Bad Mojo coming right?

Power's flickered a few times but still on; storm still hasn't gotten too bad yet. Very drunk with housemates tho, so hopefully nothing that requires action on our part will happen.

Unfortunately the transition means very little, apparently, in terms of its impact.

Still got power up here, it's flickered out for a second or two a couple of times. Hoping to keep it, it's been really nasty out. I haven't heard the wind as much lately but I think there's supposed to be more Bad Mojo coming right?

It's the high tide coming up, and the full moon tonight making the tide worse- so we have to worry about higher than normal surge.

Yeah, the newscast we've been watching said the same - yes, technically it's downgraded but the storm swell that is going to hit S. CT around midnight will be the 3rd largest on record, so not close to out of the woods yet.

We've had dinner. Drank some beers. Our lights flicker occasionally and we're watching a fascinating documentary that was on PBS called Electoral Dysfunction. The wind has certainly picked up.

We are sitting pretty, really. I hope everyone else closer to the thick of it stays safe and warm/dry.

Worst of the wind apparantly is over though there's still 40+mph gusts. Heavy rain expected until early morning hours and most of the peninsula has been flooded and is in danger of worse flooding.

But I still have power and hoping I might just have it throughout with the wind beginning to die down.

Ducks enjoying the new pond that is my street.

Here's a video from the Weather Channel of an intersection in my town. I had been taking pictures and videos there this morning a few hours after the AM high tide. Now it's apparently flooded and more than waves are passing over the seawall.

http://www.weather.com/weather/videos/news-41/top-stories-169/eric-fisher-in-narragansett-ri-31952

(Sorry for the ugly link - posting from my phone.)

Up here in Queens, things aren't too bad. I'm on one of the highest hills in the neighborhood, so that certainly helps with the flooding. The wind on the other hand - my building is not tall, but it's about 15 or 20 feet higher than anything directly around it or across the street, and my 3rd floor windows are getting hammered. I keep flinching thinking they're going to break in. It's really, really loud.

But, power is on, and I have a hell of a lot more wine. So that's good. And if power does go, my tablet is loaded up with plenty of books (thank you asoiaf, they're all from you guys!).

Archived