US Politics: Obama Vs Romney, 2012

DaveRoid

There is the Federal Election Commission but i think they are more focused on enforcing campaign finance rules. Most states have a Secretary of State that oversees elections.

It is a mistake to think of the Presidential elections as a single election. It is 50 state elections. We are a constitutional republic not a democracy :)

There is the Federal Election Commission but i think they are more focused on enforcing campaign finance rules. Most states have a Secretary of State that oversees elections.

It is a mistake to think of the Presidential elections as a single election. It is 50 state elections. We are a constitutional republic not a democracy :)

You are a democratic federation of states too you know, just saying...

its pretty much accepted that you can't win the US election without being religious. so basically the choice is between a fool or a liar. this is not a religious topic, this is a what would you rather vote for topic.

liar who says he believes in imaginary friends to win votes

or

fool who actually believes in them?

i just corrected someone concerned about language in MD Question 6 (same sex marriage) that does not actually exist. While I'm still concerned that so much misinformation is out there, he does seem interested in the truth. Feels good man.

You guys are talking like the GOP could actually steal an election... That could never happen could it?

It absolutely could.

I just wanted to point out that you just called approximately 80% of the population on earth either fools or liars. No matter what your personal beliefs are, I find it extremely arrogant.

To answer your question though, I would rather have an atheist as a leader than a person who believed that they had a direct pipeline to "God".

This is a false dichotomy. All politicians will say that they believe things that they don't believe to get elected, whether it's about taste in music, favourite beer, interest in sport etc. Religion is just one of many aspects.

The choice is between a liar or a fool and a liar. And since they are all liars you have no idea which is which.

I don't care either way, to be honest. In my opinion, the religion of our president shouldn't even be a factor.

I agree, I wish religion of a presidential candidate or really any politician for that matter wasn't mentioned. I don't care if they worship a god, or a bucket full of worms it does not matter to me.

Voting outside your precinct is one of the cases where the "provisonal ballot" stuff comes into play. They have to verify there were no shenanigans. It's easier if you vote at the assigned location.

ETA: Voting by mail simplifies everything, of course. Those go straight to the Registrar of Voters in your county.

Unless you live in King County, Washington, in which case god knows what the GOP wants to do with your ballot.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/elections.aspx

(this is mostly just their GOTV effort)

Why doesn't the US have an independent body overseeing elections? It seems like a fairly obvious step. :dunno:

It's much more on a state by state level, but at basically every level the bodies are half-republican/half-democrat by design and thus can't get anything done. Or they are all one and all the other, in which case you get shit like Ohio where they are blatantly trying to steal the election for their party.

i was getting antsy about my absentee ballot which went to FL. They sent me a confirmation that my Primary ballot was received but I got nothing this time. I actually happened to click on my spam folder for some reason and their e-mail had gone there. I was able to double check at their website and it is there but has not been tabulated yet.

This was after I sent them an e-mail asking what was going on as I could not confirm at their site that any of my prior ballots had counted. Well. Because my last name has a second capital letter in it I was mis-entering the information in their search function. :blush:

A Partisan Advantage for Obama?

But one thing I find interesting is that despite a reversal of fortunes in the last few weeks, there seems to be a clear floor below which Obama's support will not fall, and Mitt Romney has not been able to do any better than draw even or periodically take a very narrow lead.

One thing that may be benefiting Obama could have little to do with the standard indicators of national conditions and may have even less to do with either of the candidates or their campaigns. Simply put, I think a case can be made that the Republican brand name is acting as a drag on Mitt Romney's candidacy. This idea has gotten a little bit of attention from some journalists, and the data I present below largely provide additional support.

Archived