Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim

polishgenius

Is it too much to expect a scene in which Idris Elba and Ron Perlman jump into a Jaeger, mind-link and then kill all the mutant alien things ever through sheer badassery?

MISSED OPPORTUNITY.

Del Toro better do that in the sequel. Even if they're both dead, I don't care. Elba/Perlman buddy movie FTW.

karaddin,

So a guy in a robot suit and a guy in a monster suit fighting is all that is required for a good film?

:P

No, it has to be shot clearly, have good effects and good actors. The plot can have holes, even large ones, you just switch your brain off first. This doesn't make a good movie, but it does make a good bad mindless giant robot movie that can be hugely entertaining.

One that is truly a good movie can be nice variation, but after shit like the transformers I'll take one that embraces what it is and does it well.

Plus stringer mother fucking bell Luther.

As genre fans you all are obligated to watch any original non-remake, non-sequel fantasy/scifi movie on opening weekend. Check your contracts.

Another +1. Hell, even if the movie turns out to be total shit, we still need more original shit. This and especially Elysium were the two biggest movies I was looking forward to this summer (well, and Man of Steel, but yeah...). Part of the fun with an original IP is that you truly, genuinely don't know what to expect. It's something new.

As genre fans you all are obligated to watch any original non-remake, non-sequel fantasy/scifi movie on opening weekend. Check your contracts.

So true....

We snagged a sitter to go see Man of Steel, but I don't think we're going to get out for this one. I'll be buying the Bluray.

/hands out geek card for Tormund to snatch

Damn man we are already doing spoilers? I didn't think it came out yet.

No spoilers, unless you count the fact the Idris Elba and Ron Perlman are in it, but that shouldn't be a surprise because Idris Elba is in every other big movie at the moment and it's an English-language Del Toro flick, so OF COURSE Perlman is going to be in it.

The rest of it was pure supposition on my part.

That CANNOT be. I mean... shit like that makes me want to move to a deserted island.

Also, am I the only person whose mind seems to add the word "job" onto the end of the title of this thread every time I see it?

Yes? Ok... :leaving:

I once saw on a DVD cover for a p0rn movie the subtitle "Pacific Rim Me", so I have a hard time keeping a straight face whenever I see/hear the title to this movie.

I am pleasently surprised at the Rotten Tomatoes score for this (73%) now. I still have doubts about seeing it at the movies, but I may just have to try to squeeze it in the viewing schedule. I have relatively low expectations for it, which probably means I'll enjoy it even if I do think it is not to Del Torro's normal standard.

No spoilers, unless you count the fact the Idris Elba and Ron Perlman are in it, but that shouldn't be a surprise because Idris Elba is in every other big movie at the moment and it's an English-language Del Toro flick, so OF COURSE Perlman is going to be in it.

The rest of it was pure supposition on my part.

My fault, I am misreading a good deal today. I thought you said they should both be in the sequel even thou they both died!

I thought it came out tomorrow, but my son and I were sitting waiting for an appointment and Fandango alerted me to a 7:15pm showing at our theater tonight, so obviously we went. Some minor spoilers probably...

Sadly the theater was only 60-70 percent full, but I refuse to believe this movie will be a bomb, because what my son and I saw was amazing. I can't explain why it was so good, but I guess it just has the Del Toro magic to it. The characters are great, ol' Idris himself can't be touched in this, and I mean physically you can't touch him. It pisses him off. He is the perfect example of "cool badass." I even liked Jax Teller in this movie, which is amazing, as I hate him in Sons of Anarchy.

The connection between the pilots is what really brings this to life, and the crews that get highlighted all have a believable connection. And the one thing that might be a real spoiler in this is about a specific connection between two pilots which I think highlights why this movie is so good compared to something like Transformers, which I wanted to be so good and wasn't....

Edited to add spoiler tags

...the connection between Jax and the girl pilot (I'm sorry I can't ever

get names down in movies) is really kind of sweet. Touching maybe? And

though there might be some buried hints at romance, Del Toro resists

every urge to have these two "fall in love", even at a pivotal moment

when you're certain they're going to ruin this great, complex

relationship with a sappy love tie in.

So anyway, this movie is

as good as you would hope, and the action is actually something you can

track. You can tell which Jaeger's are which, unlike other giant robot

movies, as they all look distinctive, and the way the action is filmed

makes it so you can see what's happening. Also, not as much action as

the previews suggest. Judging by the previews and the first 15 minutes I

thought it'd just be wall to wall, but it's not. There's a lot more

going on.

Oh ya, Charlie Day? Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. Hellboy was funny as hell too.

Why do they have to use the Jaegers to fight the monsters? If It's the toxic blood what do they do with the dead bags of toxic blood after a jaeger bludgeons one to death?

You know that whole thing they don't go into too much detail on. If you don't mind some minor spoilers about the background of the first encounters, then read on (this explanation all comes from the first four minutes of the movie, but some people hate any spoilers)...

WARNING

So the way the movie put it was that the first Kaiju monster shows up and it takes 6 days for the US military to take it down, and that was a battle that destroyed three Californian cities. So when the next one showed up, and then others months later, each having similar results all around the world, the world leaders came together and together put together a defense program. The Jaegars are intended to match the creature in strength and stop it from continuing its path of destruction through population center. And the creatures seem to focus on the Jaegers instead of the cities destruction. There is also the point that the Jaegers ARE a waste of resources and ultimately ineffective against the monster threat. The first fifteen minutes set up the concept that the Jaegers are actually a failure, and things are becoming more and more desperate. As for the toxic blood--I'll be honest, that's mentioned

in the first ten minutes but the effects of the toxic blood are mostly ignored. The Jaegers don't seem to deal with the blood, unless I missed something.

Scot, a further thought on the poisonous blood--it really is kind of a thrown away concept, as they do bludgeon these things to death but the blood quits being toxic very quickly after it touches the air (I think). So the blood doesn't factor much into anything, though I could have missed something.

I loved it. Saw it with a friend who hated it though. He was like "What could you possibly have liked in that?" And I thought and thought about it. I can't figure out why I loved it. I mean, I grew up watching every, and I do mean every, Godzilla movie out there.

To me, it was very nostalgic. It was like being a little kid watching one of those movies again.

Yes there was some cheesy dialogue, and some so so acting, but that was to be expected of a movie like this. And it had some of the best action I've seen in a long long time. Great CGI, and awesome creature design.

Idris Elba, Charlie Day, and Ron Pearlman were excellent in it.

I don't want to dive into spoilers because it just came out, but I highly recommend it.

Just back from seeing it. Holy fuck that was cool. Just to be clear, this is not a deep or complex movie. It is definitely not a subtle movie. The characters are all one-note stereotypes. The dialogue is stilted and cheesy. The plot, such as it is, is almost laughably predictable and full of cliches. But it was all so much fun! The action was brilliantly directed. The machines and monsters felt like they had real weight behind them. The designs and aesthetics were great; very striking. I think what it comes down to is that I can't remember the last time I saw an action movie that embraced its absurd premise so enthusiastically (except maybe The Avengers). It's a completely unironic, unashamedly over-the-top punch-the-air "fuck yeah" movie. And I loved it.

ETA: Oh yeah, no sappy misplaced romance subplot! Why does every movie seem to have one of these even when they add nothing? Glad to see Del Toro leaving it out.

I enjoyed it - it hit exactly the right buttons for a summer action blockbuster, and who doesn't like to watch giant robots fighting?

Edit: in other words, what Liffguard said

Edit edit: also, Burn Gorman's character was really fun

Archived