What You Are Watching, Have Watched, And Will Watch: Now More Obvious

Sivin

Seven Psychopaths last night. I liked it, but I thought In Bruges was better.

Colin Farrell is at his level best when he's playing a non-heroic Irishman. Every time he plays an American (or Macedonian) action hero it doesn't work for me.

In that vein I though he did quite well in the Total Recall reboot given he spent most of his time not being an action hero.

Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken were brilliant. Woody Harrelson did a good job but he's done better.

Interesting use of interracial marriages in the movie. Not sure if there's meant to be any social commentary there or whether it was simply done, just because. It did serve one plot device purpose, but that didn't make having interracial marriages essential to the movie.

Colin Farrell is at his level best when he's playing a non-heroic Irishman. Every time he plays an American (or Macedonian) action hero it doesn't work for me.

Farrell is a talented actor, but he doesn't take anything seriously enough to be the lead in a film. And I think he gets bored really easily. A good example is actually 'Alexander'. Terrible as it is, there are moments when Farrell's acting is really good, and then there are stretches where he's phoning it in.

Been watching 'Judge Dredd' for about 2 hours now/ :) Me and my sister used to love this movie when we were kids, then she sold the VHS (wow... VHS...) to a Mexican family at a garage sale. I don't care about the ethnicity of said family, but the fact that they didn't speak english leads me to believe that they didn't enjoy it like we did... :(

Caught Looper last night. Fantastic storyline – I was not expecting anything like the way this movie turned out. It’s nice to see an original science fiction movie again. These last few years I’ve only liked District 9, Moon and (somewhat) Prometheus in that department and I don’t think there’s been anything else made out there but someone go ahead and fill me in.

Joseph Gordon Levitt has graduated to my, if he’s in it, it’s probably a good movie list. Man has an eye those scripts. It was also nice to see Bruce Willis in something like. I wish he’d branch out more because I thought his career was on the verge of dying with the Die Hard franchise or whatever random movie where he plays John McClane under a different name.

Agreed on JGL, he is becoming a big deal. Same about Willis finally being in a good film again. Last good one was Lucky Number Slevin I think.

District 9, Moon, Prometheus, that about covers it. You could try "Monsters", the low budget surprise flick that a lot of folks liked. I did not think it measured up to the other 3 though.

Agreed on JGL, he is becoming a big deal. Same about Willis finally being in a good film again. Last good one was Lucky Number Slevin I think.

District 9, Moon, Prometheus, that about covers it. You could try "Monsters", the low budget surprise flick that a lot of folks liked. I did not think it measured up to the other 3 though.

For having a budget of only $500,000 I think it was really well made. The special effects were passable and the acting decent, The plot was also pretty cool, i would recommend it.

Monsters is ace, third that reco. It's gonna be a divisive one though - be aware, it's a very, very low-key film in which the sci-fi is largely background. But nonetheless key to the whole thing.

Would Attack the Block count as a sci-fi? Because that's a quality film.

One I haven't seen that got decent reviews a few years ago is Splice.

I watched Seven Psychopaths last night. I like it. It's got...layers. :P

Seriously, Collin Farell should only work on films such as this and In Bruges, and avoid blockbusters like the plague.

Also, Christopher Walken was really great. I think this is one of his best performances in recent memory.

Monsters is ace, third that reco. It's gonna be a divisive one though - be aware, it's a very, very low-key film in which the sci-fi is largely background. But nonetheless key to the whole thing.

Would Attack the Block count as a sci-fi? Because that's a quality film.

One I haven't seen that got decent reviews a few years ago is Splice.

Monsters was pretty great for what it was, and it's very promising that the same director is now doing a new American Godzilla (I pray to Godzilla that it's good...I need a truly good Godzilla movie).

Splice was...weird, to say the least. In a way, I feel like it could have been fucking brilliant, because some of the twists are just so out there that it's really different from anything else I've seen. But at the same time, it simply lacks that certain "punch", and came off kind of silly unfortunately.

EDIT: By the way, has anyone watched The Following on FX? I like Kevin Bacon and I love James Purefoy, but most FX dramas are rather weak for me a lot of the time.

EDIT: Ah, for some reason I thought this was already out.

Splice was...weird, to say the least. In a way, I feel like it could have been fucking brilliant, because some of the twists are just so out there that it's really different from anything else I've seen. But at the same time, it simply lacks that certain "punch", and came off kind of silly unfortunately.

A good rundown of 'Splice' if I've ever heard one. I still appreciate it because it broke the mold, though.

I went to see 'Django' again with a couple friends last night, enjoyed it even more. Especially when my black friend (who'd already seen it too) kept saying loudly "that ain't funny" every time the "N" word was used to comedic effect.

During the previews for 'Django', I saw the

trailer. That actually looks kinda scary/tense, and I'm gonna drag some people to go see it with me. I normally hate horror films because they're just gross and toss blood around, but Aliens are frightening. I still get nervous when I think about 'The Fourth Kind'.

I watched Life of Pi last night and thought it was gorgeous. Great movie but what's so impressive about it is how beautiful it was. Glad to have seen it.

Did you read the book? I'm always torn between whether to watch the movie or read the book first. I'm really glad I read the Road first before watching the movie but then I'm really glad I saw the Prestige first before reading the book. With movies and stories, it's just so hard to tell.

Did you read the book? I'm always torn between whether to watch the movie or read the book first. I'm really glad I read the Road first before watching the movie but then I'm really glad I saw the Prestige first before reading the book. With movies and stories, it's just so hard to tell.

Nope. Just saw the movie. I was never really interested in reading the book so I can't compare the movie to the book in that respect.

Watching Jennifer Lawerence host 'Saturday Night Live'. I absolutely adore Lawerence, and I haven't been able to watch SNL in almost a year :bang:

Kinda disturbing to find that Kristin Wiig and Andy Samburg have moved on, though. :(

ETA: Kinda wish I hadn't watched. Outside a single 'Hunger Games' skit that was ok at best, the show fucking sucked.

Watching Jennifer Lawerence host 'Saturday Night Live'. I absolutely adore Lawerence, and I haven't been able to watch SNL in almost a year :bang:

Kinda disturbing to find that Kristin Wiig and Andy Samburg have moved on, though. :(

ETA: Kinda wish I hadn't watched. Outside a single 'Hunger Games' skit that was ok at best, the show fucking sucked.

I DVR'd this crap. It was absolutely awful, and I usually find at least one or two SNL skits to be funny. There was nothing remotely humorous about the show tonight, though.

I DVR'd this crap. It was absolutely awful, and I usually find at least one or two SNL skits to be funny. There was nothing remotely humorous about the show tonight, though.

Has it been like this since Wiig and Samburg left?

Quite possiblely Leone, and the genre of Spaghetti Western best ever. Henry Fonda as a villian, who'da thunk it.

It is one of my favorite movies of all time.

The final scene in Once upon a time in the West is nothing short of legendary. I get chills just thinking about it.

Also Claudia Cardinale's introduction scene, when she walks up to the bodies and the camera is fixed on her face and you see her expression melting slowly... and the music and ahhh.

I don't generally care for blu-ray but the Leone movies are the only ones I own and watch at least once every few months. Wish there was a theater that would show them aorund here.

Archived