What You Are Watching, Have Watched, And Will Watch: Now More Obvious

Sivin

Sorry for the double post but wanted to loop back on the sci-fiction movies of the past few years.

I'll definitely give Monsters a shot. I don't need fancy special effects to be entertained and a good plot can be good enough for me. Thanks for the recommendation.

I watched parts of the SyFy channel original movie Tasmanian Devils last night. I had recorded it from it's original Saturday night broadcast and had it on in the background while dicking around online. The opening 10 minutes or so was phenomenal. Highly recommended. Apollo Ohno's performance was remarkably convincing. I kind of stopped paying attention for a while, but Danica McKellar grabbed me with her flame thrower and I was hooked. I didn't actually see how it ended, but I'm sure it was awesome.

I am starting a re-watch of Alias. I barely remember the very first episode. In fact, I think I only started watching originally at the second. We'll see if I can make it through all five seasons again. It was hard the first go round.

Watched Rise of the Guardians the other day. It was all right, but I found the over use of Australianisms by Hugh Jackman's Easter Bunny to be rather grating.

Had some good bits but I think I'd rather have just waited for the DVD release.

Not really geting into any TV at the moment.

I want to see Hansel and Gretel: With Hunters. It looks like fun. I read that it might not play well in the USA, why would that be? Surely everyone in the USA knows the Hansel and Gretel story, so it's not like people have no clue about the premise. Unlike say Tintin.

Anyway, wondering if others think it might be worth a look or if it's going to be a terrible re-imagining like the recent Kirsten Stewart Snow White.

I think it will be one of two options- (Hansel and Gretel I mean)

1. It will be horrible. I remember reading that it's release date has been pushed a few times. Which isn't exactly a good sign. And I'm fairly sure, this could just be me remembering wrong so don't hold me to this, but I think they had rehoots/editing problems or something along those lines that was troubling.

2. It will be great in its own way. I mean come on. How often does something like this come around? Aside from the syfy channel I mean.

From the trailers, I'm leaning towards the 2nd option.

doesn't look too bad either....

It will be an interesting contest between Jack and Hansel and Gretel. I like the idea of Hansel and Gretel better, but I'm thinking Jack will have the bigger audience appeal. I'll probably like H&G better, seems a lot darker in tone.

Made the mistake of catching the pilot of Boardwalk Empire when I'm supposed to be mid-dissertation. Burned through it all and now have to wait for more episodes like people. It's always been consistently good, but never amazing for me, and I feel like it's lost something

in killing of Jimmy and Owen Slater, though both characters had probably reached the end of their respective arcs.

I kinda feel like the whole descent into crime lord is done much better in Breaking Bad, as odd a pair as they are to compare. That said, Nelson Van Alden has been one of the more surprising characters to become a favourite of mine, and can't wait to see more Capone!

Been a long time fan of Fringe though I fell out early season 4 due to college work. Is the conclusion worth going back for?

I am starting a re-watch of Alias. I barely remember the very first episode. In fact, I think I only started watching originally at the second. We'll see if I can make it through all five seasons again. It was hard the first go round.

I tried to rewatch Alias a while ago. The first 2 seasons are awesome. Most thrilling TV I've ever watched.

S3 is meh. S4 is terrible. But s5 is pretty awesome. Not quite on s1 level, but a very fitting end to the series.

It will be an interesting contest between Jack and Hansel and Gretel. I like the idea of Hansel and Gretel better, but I'm thinking Jack will have the bigger audience appeal. I'll probably like H&G better, seems a lot darker in tone.

I think the main advantage Jack will have is that it's directed by Bryan Singer. I mean, the guy doing H&G is new on the scene, he might surprise us, but I'm not hopeful, too many Van Helsing flashbacks from the trailers.

There's also Sam Raimi's Oz prequel thing coming soonish.

I'm watching The Shield. I just started season 4 last night, and I'm already liking Rawling (Glenn Close) much better than Aceveda. Also, it was really hard to get use to the Vic Mackey version of Michael Chiklis after watching him so often as "The Commish" in the early to mid 90s

I'm watching The Shield. I just started season 4 last night, and I'm already liking Rawling (Glenn Close) much better than Aceveda. Also, it was really hard to get use to the Vic Mackey version of Michael Chiklis after watching him so often as "The Commish" in the early to mid 90s

Did this post seriously happen yesterday? I mean 2013 yesterday?

Spent the weekend watching Cougar Town, season 3 and every episode so far of season 4. Ahhh, I really like it. Waiting impatiently for Community to start...

Did this post seriously happen, ever?

I got around to watching Savages this weekend. I thought it was pretty good, although not the best of its kind. They did get me invested in the characters pretty early though, so despite knowing the setup of the plot from the trailers, I still yelled at them for the stupid mistakes they were making in dealing with the cartel in the beginning that caused them to all be in danger.

That character investment also made me really pissed off when

it looks like they all three suicide pact at the end of the first, fake-out ending. There are only certain movies I can go through and be satisfied with an everyone-dies-in-the-end ending and this wasn't one.

Although, after that, I was so relieved by the ending we did get that I was able to forgive them having the murdering, kidnapping, rapist guy getting his happy ending as part of a new, successful cartel. Sort of. I have an imaginary sequel where they hunt him down and he dies badly...

I just started into The Shield as well. About ten episodes into season 1 so far and very much enjoying it. The only thing that bothers me is that Michael Chiklis looks like the long lost Mitchell brother and it keeps distracting me.

I finally downloaded American Horror Story: Asylum into my iPad. I watched the first one on TV, and then things happened and I didn't catch up. I watched the first four last night. It is so good. Jessica, as usual, kills it.

I have just caught up on watching two movies that I shamelessly haven't seen so far (and I'm terribly ashamed of myself): The Avengers and Kick-Ass.

Now, both pieces of art are what I call a purest, raw entertainment. The essence of it, as a matter of fact. Mass Culture deconstruction on the highest possible level.

I enjoyed every single second of it.

And even Nicolas "Not the puppy" Cage haven't bothered me at all.

I have just caught up on watching two movies that I shamelessly haven't seen so far (and I'm terribly ashamed of myself): The Avengers and Kick-Ass.

Now, both pieces of art are what I call a purest, raw entertainment. The essence of it, as a matter of fact. Mass Culture deconstruction on the highest possible level.

I enjoyed every single second of it.

And even Nicolas "Not the puppy" Cage haven't bothered me at all.

When Nic Cage is on he's ON!!! It's just that he's off so much. He was on in Kick-Ass.

Watched the SAG awards for the first time ever last night. It was OK but I don't think I'll go out of my way to watch again. Interesting the total snub of Django. Is Tarantino on the outs with SAG or something? Christoph Waltz best supporting actor at the Globes, doesn't even get a nom in the SAGs. Though maybe he's not a SAG member, is that a criteria of being up for an award?

Archived