Community: Six Seasons And A Movie or Three Seasons and a boycott

SpareBoot

i thought it was pretty damn good and a sign that the new people have really done their homework and know what they're doing. really impressed with the subtleties they nailed.

it wasn't a classic episode but it was on par.

I'm with you here. I do not understand the idea that it "didn't feel like Community." What the hell does that even mean?

It wasn't one of the best, but it was still pretty decent.

I think it would be great if someone were to watch it without knowing Harmon had been kicked off (I'm sure such casual viewers exist). As it is it's really hard to not be looking for it to be "off/different".

I did not laugh. It felt like a chore watching the episode.

I missed the round table dynamic of the study group lounge.

So tired of Dean Pelton and the over-the-top contests. Once was fine with the first paintball, but basically destroying the school every episode is not funny.

Even crazy Chang is played out.

Please bring back Professor Slater and Professor Duncan.

Well, the ratings improved slightly so that's a good sign for NBC, which has The Voice and Sunday Night Football and not much else in terms of ratings. So even a slight improvement in ratings for a show like Community greatly improves the chances of it being picked up for season 5.

I also think NBC may take the chance just because it's getting close to the magic number of 100 episodes. It'll be at 84 after this season, so one more full season will mean it hits the syndication market, and I think the show can really take off if the syndication rights are bought by Comedy Central, WGN or TBS which then puts it on 5 nights a week.

I think there was a difference, but it just wasn't as pronounced as it should've been. That wasn't too much of a problem for me. My problem was that I just didn't find any of the fake TV world jokes to be funny in any capacity.

Haven't seen it yet, but I wouldn't necessarily take a mediocre episode as a terrible sign- all Community seasons are weakest at their beginning, I find. My major concern is that the new producers make the show too cartoony, as the show threatened to become at parts of season 3 (Jeff smashing the table in the premiere, that weird thought balloon episode). Anyway, time to find the episode and watch it!

This post got the biggest laugh out of me than anything in the actual show did, considering Caligula hadn't seen it and then what happnened in the episode.

However, that isn't to say I didn't like the episode, I did. It was decent. The Dean Games was the worst part, but I liked Abed's happy place inception plotline. There also was not a lot of laughs for me in the Remedial Chaos Theory episode, but it remains one of my favorites because it was interesting and well executed.

This episode is not one of my favorites but I can handle a season of episodes ranging from this quality to (hopefully) a little better.

And baby Pierce did get a laugh out of me.

I think there was a difference, but it just wasn't as pronounced as it should've been. That wasn't too much of a problem for me. My problem was that I just didn't find any of the fake TV world jokes to be funny in any capacity.

see i found the fake tv jokes to be so unfunny that i liked them. its not entirely new, parodying broad tv humor with incredibly unfunny jokes followed by a laugh track, but i thought these were executed well and worked for me. again though, i loved how this was done in that's my bush so ymmv

The best part and really ,the only laugh-out-loud moment for me, was the Dean saying how his day was ruined because someone moved his stapler. That was great.

that was so fantastic and so community -ish that it was one of the major parts that give me confidence going forward

that was so fantastic and so community -ish that it was one of the major parts that give me confidence going forward

Dean Pelton being Jeff's neighbour is actually a storyline I'm interested in seeing. They do need to tone down Pelton's character a little, but I love his weird infatuation with Jeff. And are Britta and Troy a couple now? Gillian Jacobs and Donald Grover have good chemistry, so I'm keen to see where this is going. Regardless of the quality, I'm still going to stick with the show, since it's probably the last season.

I had a feeling that I'd be paying so much attention to whether or not the show was in some way different without Harmon that I wouldn't enjoy the episode. But actually, I was pleasantly surprised. My brain wasn't any more on the lookout for anything wrong than usual, and I found it funny in places. Not a top-notch episode, but solid, at least in my book.

ST

Felt ok as a series opener. I try to remember I found last season's first few episodes pretty underwhelming as well, so as long as the show can hit it's stream a few episodes in, I'll keep watching. I try not to come into it cynical, since I think the ensemble cast is still really strong and at least Megan Ganz was around writing for the first 13 episode or so.

Well, the ratings improved slightly so that's a good sign for NBC, which has The Voice and Sunday Night Football and not much else in terms of ratings. So even a slight improvement in ratings for a show like Community greatly improves the chances of it being picked up for season 5.

I also think NBC may take the chance just because it's getting close to the magic number of 100 episodes. It'll be at 84 after this season, so one more full season will mean it hits the syndication market, and I think the show can really take off if the syndication rights are bought by Comedy Central, WGN or TBS which then puts it on 5 nights a week.

Yeah, it may even go beyond syndication. NBC's schedule is a disaster at the moment.

30 Rock is over. The Office is nearly over. Do No Harm is cancelled after two episodes. 1600 Penn is rating anemically and got pulled for a week. Up All Night is being 'retooled' and just lost one of it's stars. Mindy Kaling is being retooled. Smash's ratings are in a nosedive.

Seriously, even with the departure of Harmon and Chase, NBC may keep Community around for a season 5 simply because only it and Parks and Recreations are doing well (relative to NBC's ratings of course).

This was the worst episode of the whole series by some margin. Just not funny at all. The "Abed TV" was just cringe worthy throughout.

I thought the Abed tv show was supposed to be cringeworthy but maybe you mean the attempt at being cringeworthy was what you had a problem with?

My main problem with the episode is that the central story didn't have a strong throughline and there were too many B-stories that came off as sketches rather than side-stories. I guess they were trying to give everybody a moment but I usually prefer it when there's a main story featuring most, if not all, the core cast and a side-story with 1-3 of the others, Hopefully the next episode will be more of a team story so we can see the cast bounce off one another.

Good to hear that the ratings were ok. I'd like to see the whole season rather than it get buried half way through. Need to see more episodes before I can decide whether I'd want the show to continue into future seasons.

I enjoyed the show, but it was a little "off." It wasn't quite an episode of Community, but it was trying really hard to be an episode of Community. I loved how they kind of addressed the off-air turmoil w/ Chevy Chase by having Fred WIllard replace Pierce in Abed's fantasy world, which could potentially work legitimately in a Darren/Bewitched kind of way if S5 is ever a possibility.

Leonard had a classic one-liner, and that was a great moment.

While they were Incepting I got their balls!

I watched it when it aired, and I watched it again last night with my wife and it was even better upon second viewing, as most episodes of the show turn out to be. The one complaint is that they were trying really hard to be meta about what was happening behind the scenes. At least 5 or 6 lines were dedicated to that in a *wink wink, nudge nudge* sort of way and it came across as being too hard.

I don't think Abed's sitcom was supposed to be funny so much as yet another look into his twisted mind. I did get a kick out of "Greendale Babies."

Oh, and there's this: 35 Things You Missed on This Week's Community

I missed the popcorn falling out of the Dean's pocket when he was getting his keys.

Archived