Community: Six Seasons And A Movie or Three Seasons and a boycott

SpareBoot

So I pretty much agree with everyone that it was a decent episode- nothing terrible, nothing too brilliant. I can't say I liked the Hunger Games (I think some of the Dean Pelton jokes are just starting to get old) but everything else was good enough. It did feel slightly different and the writers may have tried too hard, but I laughed, which is a good sign.

My main problem with the episode is that the central story didn't have a strong throughline and there were too many B-stories that came off as sketches rather than side-stories. I guess they were trying to give everybody a moment but I usually prefer it when there's a main story featuring most, if not all, the core cast and a side-story with 1-3 of the others, Hopefully the next episode will be more of a team story so we can see the cast bounce off one another.

This was my main gripe with the episode too. Usually the B-stories have a proper conclusion that sometimes enhances the central theme of the episode. This one....not so much. All Annie learnt is that popcorn in the car was a better prank. Troy realised that Abed's rules could be changed. I can't even remember what Pierce did in this episode.

Aww. Damn it. I didn't like it almost at all. I really wanted to, but no go. It just had no...verve. Stuff that should have been hilarious and surreal in the best Community tradition - gladiatorial games for enrollement in a stupid class, Abed going to a safe place from a safe place - just fell flat somehow. It was too obvious, the connections too neat, maybe trying too hard?. Sigh. Just didn't work for me, at all.

I don't think i missed any of those 35 things. They weren't hidden or anything, that is more like 'a general list of jokes on community this week'.

True a point could be made that this episode had a lot of subtle stuff going on.

My favorite moment was abeds reaction to Brittany telling he needed to go to a safe place within the safe place, (this is a perfect example of what I love in any comedy, and what community has always excelled at and was still great at this week),

Ok second favorite. Nothing beats "you're helping me, I like this"

It was pretty weak but no worse than most of last season. I keep watching because I want to believe it's better than it actually is, or that it might still recapture past glory. I still feel a Pavlovian excitement when I hear the theme tune but most episodes feel like a bit of a let down.

I caught almost every one the 35 listed in that link. None of them were especially funny though. Pelton has been really great as the Dean, but now it's over-used. Abed's imagination has been horribly over-used and this time missed an opportunity to do something better with the inception theme (how about Community is already the happy place for an Abed in a real-worldish environment?)

I thought the Grantland article on Community, linked above, made some good points.

I loved it. Granted, I'm not an avid watcher of the show which means it has been some time since I've seen the show, namely the last finale ~9 months ago. So for example, I had no idea that Chang has been missing (and frankly, I wasn't missing him ;)). But I also didn't get all these "differences" everybody seems to talk about. It did look quite similar to last season. Or at least it felt that way to the untrained eye (me ;)). I do feel it's a lot about expectations here though.

I loved it. Granted, I'm not an avid watcher of the show which means it has been some time since I've seen the show, namely the last finale ~9 months ago. So for example, I had no idea that Chang has been missing (and frankly, I wasn't missing him ;)). But I also didn't get all these "differences" everybody seems to talk about. It did look quite similar to last season. Or at least it felt that way to the untrained eye (me ;)). I do feel it's a lot about expectations here though.

the only thing that seemed different to me was the quality of the graphic on the zoom inbetween special places. that wasn't as good as community usually does with those types of things

Regarding NBC's general ineptitude which we were discussing last week

http://www.uproxx.co...k-in-six-weeks/

The network is even more absurd than 30 Rock depicted.

what a wierd article. not sure what makes less sense, that anyone believed nbc was doing ok anywhere besides football and the voice or that someone could do all that research and claim up all night was well liked. the only one that like liked up all night was the nbc execs. the public hated it. critics hated it.

I think the idea that NBC was "back" or at least resurgent was not far fetched a couple of months ago. That notion may have disspated by the end of last year, but they had a few hits and I recall seeing articles suggesting they may not be a laughingstock much longer. Revolution was a hit and a few of the new sitcoms did have initial success, but that may have been due in large part to the lead ins like The Voice because they did fall off.

As for Up All Night, not sure what they mean by well liked. Arnett and Applegate appear well liked in general (as guest stars in other shows) even though they have made some poor show choices and can't seem to carry sitcoms in lead roles. NBC for some reason really does like the show, they wanted to give it a second retooling. Actually the retooling probably suggests they did not think the show was that good but that somehow they could turn a show with these two leads into a hit despite continued failure.

I wouldn't say this article as well researched, it seem like something knocked out quickly aside from looking up the numbers. I mostly liked it for the schadenfreude. I'm a dick like that.

I liked this one. It was definitely a step up from last week, although it's kinda dumb to do a Halloween episode on Valentine's Day. Always great to see Giancarlo Esposito, and Pierce wasn't a complete douche in this episode. The show finally made headway on Jeff's daddy issues, and Alison Brie somehow managed to make even the Ring girl hot. I'd give it an 8 or an 8.5/10

What are all these collars for? Secret dogs??!!

Best part of the episode. I also love how Shirley knew all about S & M from her dark past.

I liked this one. It was definitely a step up from last week, although it's kinda dumb to do a Halloween episode on Valentine's Day.

Well, they thought it would air last fall. They couldnt skip this episode because it sets up the whole Jeff's dad thing.

They seem to be playing around with the shit that gets superimposed on the screen. Last week we had silly ads and I think this week they were taking the piss out of hash tags as I caught the "#gilbert is back" popping up just as he was appearing. Need to check if there were others and keep a closer eye out next week.

It's pretty harsh of NBC messing around with the schedule of a show that has tried to do seasonal tie ins. It means we'll probably have a Christmas episode at Easter now. Not Community's fault.

This episode was better in the sense it felt like the whole cast was involved and bouncing off one another.

Archived