Football 38- Fútbol, Futebol, Fußball, Soccer, Calcio, كرة القدم, футбол, サッカー, &...

Horus Ex Machina

Great pics. Love how it snows so much in Colorado. The Costa Ricans look undone, will they have seen live snow before?

Is that normal, snow in late March in Colorado?

Aye, snows in April, too.

Reckon the US will beat Mexico. The only evidence I've seen of Mexico recently was their game against Jamaica, but they were pretty woeful.

you think? i am not as sure. i am seeing a magical 1-0 win by the americans.

I think that the balance of probability says that when Hernandez plays for his national team, he'll probably score.

However they are under pressure coz if they don't win they'll be losing touch with the top spots, which I guess could play into your hands.

Hernandez scored twice in their last game away, I believe. They gave up a 2 goal lead. I always expect not to get anything out of the Azteca. Maybe there's a little bit of reason to be bullish since they just played at altitude in Denver and they were able to win there for the first time ever in a friendly not too long ago. Even so, I'd be pretty ecstatic with a point.

Aye, snows in April, too.

Reckon the US will beat Mexico. The only evidence I've seen of Mexico recently was their game against Jamaica, but they were pretty woeful.

Mexico always gets up for us, but we've been cracking the mental barrier on both the national and club level over the past few years. I want the US to be greedy and go for the full 3 pts, but Mexico has a way of scoring in bunches, even when you seem to have a secure lead. I want to be aggressive but cautious at the same time.

Yellow ball? The traditional British version is (or at least was) orange, back in the days when the clubs didn't have undersoil heating.

Yeah, we don't really understand why they didn't use an orange one.

Crew 2-1 D.C.

Fantastic game from both sides, a whole lot of chances for both sides and an excellent away win for America's Hardest Working Team.

I'm pretty mad about that game. No disrespect to Columbus, they played well, but the officiating was horrible and cost us a goal and at least a point if not three.

Spain playing with no striker against teams like Finland seems very strange to me too.

I think just like for Germany, it's become a question of necessity. There's simply no striker that del Bosque or Löw trust to add enough to the team to play them, and under the wrong circumstances that can drag a team down at the highest level (see Germany-Italy last year for that). Not playing a striker also has its risks, but you usually expect that option to at least be safer when on the defensive.

Of course I totally see Löw forgetting that and playing Gómez again at the wrong moment in 2014.

I'm pretty mad about that game. No disrespect to Columbus, they played well, but the officiating was horrible and cost us a goal and at least a point if not three.

i saw the no goal call. it could have gone either way. pajoy was clearly offsides. but, whether or not he had any influence on the play by his run is not certain. that was one of those calls that could have been a goal or not.

I think just like for Germany, it's become a question of necessity. There's simply no striker that del Bosque or Löw trust to add enough to the team to play them, and under the wrong circumstances that can drag a team down at the highest level (see Germany-Italy last year for that). Not playing a striker also has its risks, but you usually expect that option to at least be safer when on the defensive.

Of course I totally see Löw forgetting that and playing Gómez again at the wrong moment in 2014.

Yeah but David Villa is best as a striker. Not playing him there is a bit odd, really. He'd also not slow down or impede their game ala Gomez for Germany. (Or at least when I've seen Germany Gomez sticks out like a sore thumb)

Yeah but David Villa is best as a striker. Not playing him there is a bit odd, really.

This.

When Villa was injured and Torres off-form there was a logic to what Spain are doing. Not sure now. And with all their midfielders, Finland still managed to sneak a goal against the run of play, so it didn't help their defence that much either.

I heard Germany also went striker-less on Friday. Its an interesting experiment but i'm not sure is there any team in our group that will really test Germany either way. (I'm inclined to think that the Sweden 4-4 result was just a freak). Amusing that Germany are also producing all these midfielders like Spain. What are the coaches doing!

Archived