Football 38- Fútbol, Futebol, Fußball, Soccer, Calcio, كرة القدم, футбол, サッカー, &...

Horus Ex Machina

Michael Owen is hanging up his boots for good at the end of the season. Our collective dream of one last Owen-Heskey call up for England will never happen :(

Can't wait 'til he's appointed to the MOTD team... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It does give us a chance to break out this clip once more, though. :P

I humbly offer my services at Blackburn. I assure you I can have the side back in the premiership within two seasons.

First course of action will be luring Michael Owen out of retiring with a giant sack of cash. Next we see where Sol Campbell is hiding.

This is a brilliant formula for success.

I humbly offer my services at Blackburn. I assure you I can have the side back in the premiership within two seasons.

\

Reminds me of the guy who applied for the Middlesbrough job with Football Manager as his only experience. Hey, you probably can't do any worse amirite?

Some body I know did that and actually was proper serious about it doing, drew up a letter and everything. Don't think he sent it though because the amount of shit he got for it.

Absolutely disgraceful from the FA. Callum McManaman gets no punishment for crippling a player.

IMO it's ridiculous, but which was the match official who saw the incident live? It wasn't the referee, and you'd have thought that if one of the others had seen it at the time, they'd have told the referee.

Absolutely disgraceful from the FA. Callum McManaman gets no punishment for crippling a player.

To be fair it's not quite as bad a challenge as some of the still pictures make it look. It's not a Roy Keane style deliberately putting your weight studs first through a guys leg style challenge, he is trying to play across a ball that's sort of there to be won and unfortunately he catches him very badly. Having said that it is incredibly reckless so having no consequences for it at all seems a little odd.

To be fair it's not quite as bad a challenge as some of the still pictures make it look. It's not a Roy Keane style deliberately putting your weight studs first through a guys leg style challenge, he is trying to play across a ball that's sort of there to be won and unfortunately he catches him very badly. Having said that it is incredibly reckless so having no consequences for it at all seems a little odd.

agreed. i didn't see an intent to injure an opponent in this challenge. still, it was as reckless a challenge as they come so some punishment is definitely in order.

i mean, this can have as serious consequences as breaking a leg when it comes to recovery time and could have been a career-ending injury.

players must be protected as much as possible from that while on the pitch.

no love for international games?

i for one just want it to be over and done with.

media have been on a weeks-long rampage over today's croatia vs serbia match and i've had enough of it.

i'm so bored with it i'll probably skip the game altogether.

Fuck I am so sick of my national team and its unyielding mediocrity.

But damn you all if I won't vigorously update the World Cup 2014 thread in days to come.

You complain about mediocrity? You don't support Scotland! :P

Seriously, the Wales-Scotland match tonight is already a dead rubber so far as qualification goes. The main interest was Mickey Thomas suggesting that this Scotland team is the 'worst ever' and John Brown's comments about how to stop Gareth Bale ('you can't run if you've got no legs': hilariously, Brown later tried to claim he only meant that Scotland should mark Bale closely. Suuuuure you did, John :P).

The Croatia-Serbia game looks on paper like an interesting match-up, but I guess the tension of the occasion will tend to overwhelm the football. Talk about your derby matches.

Only good thing about these breaks is that it gives Totti's old legs a chance to rest. Other than that qualifications (and friendlies!) are incredibly boring, at least up until that last game where it's decided if Sweden qualifies.

Come to think of it, qualifiers are even worse these days, in the past, at least we had Lagerbäck, meaning we could potentially perhaps somehow pulled a Greece 2004, with Hamrén there's really no silver lining.

Finally, what really annoys me about qualifiers is the audience. For some reason, they expect Sweden to go toe to toe with teams like Germany and to crush the smaller ones, never minding that we have Zlatan and little else. It's like they think Råsunda is Bernabeu and they boo the team when only leading with one or two goals against teams like Azerbajdzjan.

DC vs. Columbus tomorrow at 3:30pm Eastern time on NBC Sports. I'm pleased we're featuring so heavily in the national broadcasts, but we have been unimpressive so far and I'm not confident we will be any better tomorrow.

We are starting Lionard Pajoy again, despite the fact that he just does not produce. Jakovic is away on international duty, although after last week's performance maybe switching out defenders isn't the worst idea. Thorrington is injured, not that he's impressed so far.

Still anticipating a 0 - 2 loss off a brace from Higuain.

Archived