LonCon 3 2014

Yippee!! I cannot wait to meet you!

same here. hoping not to be too stalkery but you're a big reason that I'm still going. I was umming and ahhing over it until this morning when i just thought sod it, let's go meet ES

N

I'll be there with Squidgey for Friday afternoon and then Ser Sean and I will be there for Saturday and Sunday. We're just trying to arrange things to get to the BwB party (I had thought it would be on the Saturday...) but we'll see how that pans out.

N

I'll be there with Squidgey for Friday afternoon and then Ser Sean and I will be there for Saturday and Sunday. We're just trying to arrange things to get to the BwB party (I had thought it would be on the Saturday...) but we'll see how that pans out.

N

Try hard, Very hard. It's worth it! :cheers:

same here. hoping not to be too stalkery but you're a big reason that I'm still going. I was umming and ahhing over it until this morning when i just thought sod it, let's go meet ES

N

<3. I love a good stalker, so no worries. You and Squidgey are getting ginormous hugs. Prepare yourselves. :)

Ok, we need some advice on getting to our hotel (Travelodge) from Heathrow Terminal 1. I’m putting this post in this thread, because it looks like more people use it than the airport one. We picked up Oyster passes, and figured we’d put ourselves through the confusing hell of using the transit system to get from the airport to our hotel.

I know there have been a few posts about this already, but I still have a couple of questions just for clarification. My first question is which of these routes is the best/easiest? It looks to me like it would be the first one. My second question is do we swipe/tap the Oyster pass when we get on and off each thingie? I really appreciate any help :)

I know there have been a few posts about this already, but I still have a couple of questions just for clarification. My first question is which of these routes is the best/easiest? It looks to me like it would be the first one. My second question is do we swipe/tap the Oyster pass when we get on and off each thingie? I really appreciate any help :)

I'd go with the first route, but a local may have a different opinion. For trains, you tap the Oyster card when you enter and leave the system. For a bus, you tap only when you get on. Generally, you don't need to tap again when you're changing trains.

My first question is which of these routes is the best/easiest?

Several of the options include the Heathrow Express which is separate from London Transport and you can't use your Oyster card on it. And the Heathrow Express costs about 21 pounds. So I'd go with Option 1 which can all be done on your Oyster card for less.

does anyone know about the safety of the area around the ExCel, the hotel we are staying in is around 2km away and it looks like a lot of nights we may be staying at the con past midnight when the DLR shuts down . . . any chance it will be safe to walk back to our hotel or are we looking at needing a cab?

eta: after further research I have discovered that a night bus runs basically to the same spot as the DLR so no need to worry about walking and safety.

Hey everyone. Due to circumstances beyond my control I am not going to make it. I'm in the middle of (another) family situation. I have a membership that I'd be delighted to transfer, just message me a name either here or through facebook.

I am very sorry to hear this, Lily. I was hoping to be able to say hi to you.

You will still be with us in spirit, though. ;)

Well, I think I just implied that I might be coming. That is now certain. My girlfriend Jaenara Belaerys and I will be at LonCon and in London from 14th to 20th. We'll also be attending the event with George and Robin Hobb after the con.

Whoever wants to find out if 'the eunuch' has actually been cut or is in fact a (lesbian) woman, is welcome to investigate (within reasonably limits, of course...).

I'm really interested to meet all of you guys, and talk about various things.

You are often found in the translation-related threads, right? Definitely interested to talk about that. ;)

I have arrived.

I decided to add a couple of days extra so I could be here to volunteer and assist with set up. I'm just having some lunch before I head down to the ExCeL and get started.

I'm in room 409 at the Ibis Styles Hotel, not that I intend to spend much time in this tiny little room of course.

I believe the set up crew will be heading to a pub this evening, not sure when or where, but I can post it here in case anyone else has arrived early and wants to join us.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon!

Archived