Football 39 - nous jouons au football ici

Zoë Sumra

Thanks. This raises the question that Castel had above...how do they pay for transfers, and the thoughts I had about profits/debts on a year-to-year basis? Do these supporters pool their resources, or get investment from their communities?

The club gets some money from supporters paying their fees, but most of their income is from TV rights, ticket sales, sponsorship deals, sales of players, etc.

in belgrade (and most of serbia) two most popular football clubs are crvena zvezda and partizan.

both clubs are part of their respective sport association or whatever is the proper term, which include members from other sports.

both crvena zvezda and partizan sport associations include basketball, volleyball, handball, water polo, tennis, rowing, athletic clubs etc.

and each of those clubs has a senior team, that's competing at national and sometimes international level, and the whole youth structure.

a friend of mine competed at national level in karate for partizan, i have been a part of both crvena zvezda and partizan rowing clubs (though i didn't compete) as did most of my friends i met during those periods.

moving each of those clubs/associations from belgrade would be unthinkable.

they are just so much more complex than any northern american professional club that there's no point in comparing them.

That also happens with Barcelona, Real Madri and some major clubs in Eastern Europe and South America too.

Most franchises in American spectator sports get funding from their city governments for stadium building. And if they don't get it, the owners threaten to sell/move the club to a city that will provide funds. And there is public outcry, and it does worry politicians.

Many clubs in some parts of Europe (particularly France and Italy) and South America play in stadiums that are publically owned by the city or the state the club is a part of.

That also happens with Barcelona, Real Madrid and some major clubs in Eastern Europe and South America

I would say that Multi-Sport Associations are rather the standard in all of Continental Europe than the exception even though the Football Divisions often eclipse the other sport divisons...

A penalty like that should be counted as a war crime.

Did you expect him to score? I was fairly positive he'd fluff it. His run up was hilarious, too.

Think Basel deserved it over the 2 legs, to be fair.

Tickets for the Spurs v City game have arrived. Offer of a free ticket in the City end still stands for a seek on Sunday if anyone wants it.

Always enjoy the fancy packets the City tickets arrive in...

EDiT: Ticket has gone.

So it's Spain vs. Germany after all: Bayern against Barca and Real vs Dortmund. Fenerbahce vs Benfica and Chelsea vs Basel in the Europa. Some pretty tough ties there...

The perfect draw. We get to see the two best teams in the world take each other on over two legs. My moneys on the germans, they just have fewer weaknesses than Barcelona. However Messi could win the match on his own, he is just that good.

Whichever team wins that semi has to be the strong favourites for the final.

Probably Dortmund's preferred draw and Bayern's least wanted one. Interesting. I'm hoping for a German-Spanish final rather than both clubs from one country advancing. Dortmund-Barca would be delicious.

Bayern - Real games have generally been awesome. That's what I'm hoping for.

i wouldn't put money on either outcome for either of the semis.

bayern and barca are two best performing teams in europe (and beyond ;)) and while i am inclined to give madrid a slight advantage over dortmund, i can't forget that dortmund took 4 out of 6 points in their group stage encounters.

I think Baryern will be the ones to take out Barca. Madrid will dispose of Dortmund. Mou is too close to the final to lose now. Bayern vs Madrid in the final is what I say. A classico final would be cool I guess, but Bayern deserve good fortune.

it wouldn't be the first time mourinho has been knocked out of champions league semifinals, you know ;)

i wouldn't put money on either outcome for either of the semis.

bayern and barca are two best performing teams in europe (and beyond ;)) and while i am inclined to give madrid a slight advantage over dortmund, i can't forget that dortmund took 4 out of 6 points in their group stage encounters.

it wouldn't be the first time mourinho has been knocked out of champions league semifinals, you know ;)

Of course, though being ousted the past two years by Barca and then Bayern is a bit difference to losing to Dortmund. I don't doubt Dortmunds quality but they have managed to avoid all the big boys on the way to the Semi's. If they would have caught Barca, Bayern, Madrid, ManU or maybe even Juventus in an earlier round they might not be in the position they are in now.

Of course, though being ousted the past two years by Barca and then Bayern is a bit difference to losing to Dortmund. I don't doubt Dortmunds quality but they have managed to avoid all the big boys on the way to the Semi's. If they would have caught Barca, Bayern, Madrid, ManU or maybe even Juventus in an earlier round they might not be in the position they are in now.

They did take Madrid in the earlier rounds, winning one game and drawing the other. And they had the best campaign in the group of death, also beating City, that defeated United at Old Trafford this week. They also passed by Shaktar, that defeated Chelsea.

Mou is too close to the final to lose now

You mean, like he was too close to the final to lose last year, in the same stage, against a German team?

They did take Madrid in the earlier rounds, winning one game and drawing the other. And they had the best campaign in the group of death, also beating City, that defeated United at Old Trafford this week. They also passed by Shaktar, that defeated Chelsea.

You mean, like he was too close to the final to lose last year, in the same stage, against a German team?

Bayern and Dortmund are not the same teams, and Madrid still had La Liga to play for last year. I'm not saying that Dortmund are a bad team by any means. Any team in the CL semi final is capable. WIth that being said, a win over Madrid in October in the group stages is a bit different than knocking them out of the semis in April. Beating a team who beat a team means nothing. Man City beat United this week, Dortmund beat Man City 6 months ago. Form, fatigue, weather are all contributing factors to wins and losses and that can change a lot in 6 months.. Shatkar beat Chelsea in frigid eastern Europe at the end of October. Dortmund knocked out Shatkar right after their Winter break. (Ukraine takes three months off for the winter Dec-Mar)

Madrid knocked off Man United in a two leg playoff. United has a comfortable lead in the league and put full resources to winning the game, and Madrid beat them.

Madrid was stretched a bit more thin in October when they lost to Dortmund, still having a shot at La Liga. Now that Mou and Co only care about the CL I think things will be different.

I'd actually Perfer Dortmund to win the whole thing, what do I care I'm a Serie A fan and Juve and Lazio killed off any chance at European glory for me this spring. I'm looking forward to see Italy in the Confed cup this summer.

dortmund were top of the group which included champions of spain, england and netherlands.

saying they avoided big clubs has to be one of the silliest statements in all these football-related threads.

Archived