[Book Spoilers] Is Loras really the plan?

But Lady Olenna's major concern beside the advancement of House Tyrell is the well-being of the members of her family. That's why Joffrey has to die, after all. To ensure that the alliance between Casterly Rock and Highgarden is going to work, not to terminate it.

And Loras won't be happy in a marriage with Sansa Stark. Neither will she. And if TV Loras truly turns out to be the heir to Highgarden, Sansa would be the mother to Mace Tyrell's grandchildren, including the next Lord of Highgarden. That is, as long as the marriage between Sansa and Loras is not going to be a marriage on paper. If Loras is the heir to Highgarden, he has to consummate his marriage. And an unhappy Lady Sansa of Highgarden could become a great problem for House Tyrell later on, if she starts to entertain herself with real men, ends up making fun of her effeminate husband, and so on. She could easily become a second Cersei.

Loras cannot be the heir to Highgarden, by the way. Neither Mace nor Olenna would have allowed Loras to join Renly's Kingsguard if he had been Mace's only son. Nor would they allowed him to enter into a long-term homosexual relationship when he has to secure the continuation of the main line of House Tyrell. It just doesn't make any sense. And the smart move of the Willas plot in the book was that Sansa would have been married to the eldest Tyrell son. Willas would have been Lord of Highgarden and Lord Protector of the North, and his eldest son heir to Highgarden and the North!

The well-being that's in concern about Joffrey is that he might harm Margaery, not in any way about if Margaery will be happily married in general. They realize that Joffrey would be harder to control than his little brother, which is why he's gotten rid of.

Loras won't be happy in marriage with any woman but that's irrelevant. He has a duty to marry and produce sons and he will be forced to do that. That Sansa would pose problems is also a pretty ridiculous notion. She's clearly proven herself to be someone that just acts along and has shown no scheming or temper despite being betrothed to a monster. Loras would treat her gently, just not love her. Your arguments here become even weaker when it's a fact that the Tyrells have already married Margaery to another gay man. A man who was sleeping with her brother, which wasn't a secret to them. Such things are so trivial compared to the actual point of noble marriage (alliances and land) that they aren't even worth mentioning.

Regarding the King's Guard, Loras hasn't joined the KG in the show (yet) so that's completely irrelevant. He obviously won't join until the Lannisters forces Sansa to marry Tyrion, if he joins it at all. And in any case it's smarter to not marry the heir to Highgarden to Sansa in the case of all Stark men being killed. Better to have two Tyrells with the honor of being Wardens than one.

I liked it. Especially for the viewers that don't know the story. They'll believe that Sansa will find some form of happiness before it's stripped away and she's forced to marry Tyrion. I actually hope they have Loras court her a little so her surprise wedding to Tyrion hits even harder.

This also ties in with the scene we saw in the behind the scenes video--of Loras storming off from a table. I'm pretty sure he's not going to be happy with the whole marriage idea. He'll go along with it, because of family, but I think he's going to really dislike the idea.

In my mind the more interesting question concerning this topic is: Why did D&D let Varys propose it to the QoT?

One reason is obviously to show that Varys wants to cross Littlefinger's plans. But there might be another one. Varys knows that Loras is gay and propably would not consumate the marriage and so it could be nullified. Furthermore the Tyrells have always been quite loyal to the Targaryens. So he might give her to Loras to keep her safe from the Lannisters and LF but still useful for a possible later marriage. This might be a first setup for an Aegon-Sansa storyline.

Liked the way you put, it could be a good plan that of course will change with Sansa'a marriage with Tyrion and will work again since this marriage will also not be consumated. But I still believe that they will have to come with another Tyrell son in the show, considering the whole heir of Highgarden issue.

Point of order, if Renly and Margery's match had taken place, their second son could have inherited Highgarden through Margery.

I.e. they had a Joffrey and Tommen situation planned.

Tywin, I suspect, would have placed Tommen on Casterly Rock if Jaime wouldn't bend.

I liked it. Especially for the viewers that don't know the story. They'll believe that Sansa will find some form of happiness before it's stripped away and she's forced to marry Tyrion. I actually hope they have Loras court her a little so her surprise wedding to Tyrion hits even harder.

This! My unsullied family believes that Littlefinger is going to swoop in and take Sansa away from the Tyrells due to his 'interest' in her. They will be very surprised at what actually happens. I also think it builds additional sympathy for Sansa since she is so obviously happy about the idea of marrying Loras.

It doesn't matter if she adores him or not, they just need her to adore him now so that they can get her out of KL. After she's married and they have the North behind them who cares if she's in a happy marriage?

The problem is that losing the Willas's option is meant to fill like a punch in the gut for the readers as she loses another opportunity for happiness and now is stuck with the Lannisters. Yet, in the TWOP Unspoiled Page you have TV watchers feeling pity for Sansa that she is going to escape to Highgarden with Loras who won't love her and think it would be better if she was stuck with Tyrion.

Simply, they lost out on one of the many gut wrenching moments in the books along with one of the displays of Sansa's character's growth because they were to lazy to just introduce a character that they don't even have to cast. Furthermore, they have set up a series of negative reactions of viewers calling Sansa shallow and stupid when she doesn't bow down at the majesty of Peter Dinklage's character.

Simply, they lost out on one of the many gut wrenching moments in the books along with one of the displays of Sansa's character's growth because they were to lazy to just introduce a character that they don't even have to cast. Furthermore, they have set up a series of negative reactions of viewers calling Sansa shallow and stupid when she doesn't bow down at the majesty of Peter Dinklage's character.

It's a bit of a lost opportunity, but honestly anyone this incapable of sympathy for a frightened little girl in over her head is probably a little shallow and stupid themselves. :dunno:

It's a bit of a lost opportunity, but honestly anyone this incapable of sympathy for a frightened little girl in over her head is probably a little shallow and stupid themselves. :dunno:

The issue is that some viewers think that Loras is the tragic option while Peter is the salvation, thus the complete opposite of what the books portray.

I get what you all are saying. Tyrion on TV vs. Book Tyrion is much more likeable and a more sympathetic character, TV viewers could also see it as saving her from LIttlefinger. They will need to play up that she is marrying the family that killed her father and conspired in the upcoming RW. Something to ponder over the next week...

The problem is that losing the Willas's option is meant to fill like a punch in the gut for the readers as she loses another opportunity for happiness and now is stuck with the Lannisters. Yet, in the TWOP Unspoiled Page you have TV watchers feeling pity for Sansa that she is going to escape to Highgarden with Loras who won't love her and think it would be better if she was stuck with Tyrion.

I doubt many will think she's shallow or stupid, nor will they think it's better for her to remain in the lion's den KL with Tyrion just cause Loras like's to cross swords... People are really starting to like her (just another one of those 180s along with Jaime and slowly but surely Theon), and I'm sure people are going to want her to get out.

When Loras and LF fail, she'll be devastated to remain with the Lannisters and sympathy will certainly be felt.

The issue is that some viewers think that Loras is the tragic option while Peter is the salvation, thus the complete opposite of what the books portray.

I don't think this is the case at all.

Although Peter's character is one of (if not the) viewer favourite, they still understand that Starks vs Lannisters started all of this and will not be happy that poor little Sansa is forced to marry a Lannister - even if he is the 'best' one

I don't think this is the case at all.

Although Peter's character is one of (if not the) viewer favourite, they still understand that Starks vs Lannisters started all of this and will not be happy that poor little Sansa is forced to marry a Lannister - even if he is the 'best' one

I am just responding to some of the responses in the TWOP Unsullied Thread in which some people have exactly argued that it would be better if she married Tyrion rather then Loras.

People are really starting to like her (just another one of those 180s along with Jaime and slowly but surely Theon), and I'm sure people are going to want her to get out.

Which people are those? I mean, I'm sure that there are some folks who like her, just as there are some who find her a dim, annoying twit. She's a somewhat controversial character in that respect among book readers, and I think it's the same among viewers. It's kind of hard to ignore the contrast in brains between her and Margeary as portrayed to viewers.

To be fair to Sansa, it's clear that Margaery's been groomed for this sort of thing her entire life by a clever, savvy family, and she is much, much better prepared for it. Sansa isn't dim so much as sheltered and woefully naive, and her family didn't do anything to really help her prepare for the den of vipers that is King's Landing.

Sansa and Cat definitely inspire a bizarre amount of hate and blame on various internet communities, it's a phenomenon I've never quite understood. It's disappointing but whatever, you can't let random peoples' weird opinions alter your enjoyment of a character or story.

Considering how many people like Tyrion (and Dink's performance) I can definitely see viewers getting upset when Sansa is disappointed that she gets him instead of Loras.

TV!Tyrion is a much "gentler" person. However, that scene at Blackwater from last season, I think, reminds viewers that Sansa has not forgotten what the Lannisters did to her family

Considering how many people like Tyrion (and Dink's performance) I can definitely see viewers getting upset when Sansa is disappointed that she gets him instead of Loras.

TV!Tyrion is a much "gentler" person. However, that scene at Blackwater from last season, I think, reminds viewers that Sansa has not forgotten what the Lannisters did to her family

I hope they do a better job of explaining that she was upset that he was a Lannister not that he wasn't handsome or she will get crucified by show only watchers.

Archived