MLB 2013 III - When Puigs Fly

Myshkin

Did not see this coming. 148 pitches is a crazy number of pitches for one outing. Good thing the All-star break is here to save poor Timmy's arm. Congratulations to Mr Lincecum and to fans of his team :)

Related, how do so many bad pitchers get no-hitters? Three years ago, Timmy pitching this way would have made sense. But now? And last year, Humber hurled a perfect game, despite being so far below even average that he got released from Houston. Liriano had a no-hitter in 2011, despite a 5.09 ERA and a WHIP of nearly 1.5. Sometimes the wackiness of baseball is truly baffling.

To be fair to Humber, although his numbers before the White Sox weren't great, in 2011 I believe he was 9-9 with a 3.75 ERA. Not amazing, but a really solid fourth or fifth starter. It wasn't until AFTER his perfect game in 2012 that he went to true shit and he never regained any semblance of a MLB-caliber player. In that regard, he may be the worst pitcher with a perfect game. He completely shot whatever talent load was in his body in that one game and then he was spent for what seems will be the rest of his career.

As bad as the Giants record has been the last month or two they haven't been that bad. Lot's of injury and one truly horrific inning per game sinks a team pretty quickly. That said, the San Diego Padres are a great cure for what ails you. And I like this Tanaka kid.

That said, even if it is the Padres, putting up 23-3 on any MLB team feels pretty good, especially with a no hitter in the mix. And said pitcher looking at a thrift deal or maybe a move to Seattle in the off-season.

Good for Timmy.

And might I add, after years of bitching and complaining, I think I'm going to really miss Barry Zito.

Second. Homer Baily chucked one a couple weeks back.

Yeah, Homer Baily had the honor of two consecutive no-hitters in all of MLB.

Wainwright goes against the Cubs on the Sunday night game to salvage a split. That's some shameful shit. They rearranged the rotation and are holding him out of the all-star game for this, so I'll be nigh unconsolable if Chicago wins.

Good to see you in the thread, Bones.

bones back in the mix is nice. san fran needs represented despite being a horrible and vile team that should not even have support within their otherwise lovely city.

i ordered a yasiel puig tshirt weeks ago from the dodgers store. it has his number 66 in cuba's colors. it is not likely to be delivered prior to the playoffs. i have tickets to see the boys in blue friday here in dc. alas i will just wear my hershiser jersey.

Ridiculous reversal today in San Diego.

Twins close out the first half with a lovely lopsided win in New York. Yes, it's a bad team, but maybe splitting a series with the Yankees could provide some warm fuzzy feelings for semester two of the season.

You'd think they'd bother to throw a practice pitch at least once.

Yeah, say what one might about George W. Bush, but he could

4-4 in the Cubs v. Cards game. I so do not want to go into all star weekend having lost a series to the Cubs.

I bet he is just fine. People didn't fall apart back when there was no pitch count.

This is true. Good ol' Walter "Big Train" Johnson used to regularly throw 320+ innings and he had a lovely 21 season career. Of course, Timmy's never thrown anywhere close to that number of innings, so it's likely a bit harder on him than on the powerful Senator.

Thank god it was my roommates birthday yesterday and I was too busy to watch. I had a moment of downtime and turned on the game. Holy shit. At least I was able to watch the A's win in a fun way for the rest of my break.

Yeah, Homer Baily had the honor of two consecutive no-hitters in all of MLB.

Wainwright goes against the Cubs on the Sunday night game to salvage a split. That's some shameful shit. They rearranged the rotation and are holding him out of the all-star game for this, so I'll be nigh unconsolable if Chicago wins.

Keving Gregg is the cure that ails ya!

This is true. Good ol' Walter "Big Train" Johnson used to regularly throw 320+ innings and he had a lovely 21 season career. Of course, Timmy's never thrown anywhere close to that number of innings, so it's likely a bit harder on him than on the powerful Senator.

That is very true. Players are so babied now I'm almost conditioned to ask the question.

So, Freeman backed out of the All-Star game and still no Puig?

All injury substitutes are Bochy's call, and it's evident he didn't want Puig in.

Seems only fair that the runner up in the fan vote should go to the game if the winner can't play, but that's not the way it works.

Archived