Football XLVIII - The Return to Normalcy.

Alex.

Johnson was very good (rebutting some criticism here a few days ago)

i was pleasantly surprised how johnson played yesterday.

he even went for and won some balls in the air :blink:

hopefully, he will play like that for the whole season and make me eat crow in may.

until then, i'm still more inclined to think of this as a "one off" from his usual MO but, as i said, i'd gladly be wrong on this one.

EDIT:

on topic of "is city better or worse than last year", i'd definitely say they're better.

their biggest improvement by far is the manager who actually knows what he's doing.

liverpool played great, but still lack the finishing touch.

also, hitting the woodwork three times is bringing back bad memories :\

To be fair one (or maybe two, can't recall off the top of my head) was a great save. Hopefully it wont become a regular problem again though.

It was clear that Sturridge and Coutinho were tiring at the end. Rodgers should have subbed one or both. But credit to Rodgers on team selection: Henderson and Aspas instead of Allen and Borini were good calls that many fans feared he would go the wrong way on. The formation was fluid between 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1, allowing Sturridge, Aspas and Coutinho to interchange without having to stay wide.

Rodgers seems to be somebody who avoids using subs if he can. I remember Benitez used to talk about a drop off period where players can only perform at their peak for 65 minutes or something, and he'd regular use all three subs. I think it is something Rodgers should have done though, Sturridge really struggled at the end and it stopped us from being able to press effectively from the front at the end of the game. Would have liked to have seen Alberto and Borini coming on at around 75/80 minutes.

Crystal Palace have been incredibly tough and assertive. Should be interesting to see how they fare throughout the season.

no kidding.

the discipline of the backline has been impressive. need a little finishing and this is team that is not going to drop back down into the championship easily.

He's incredibly quick, and he's got great feet, but Aaron Lennon really doesn't have an end product, does he?

Excellent jazz hands though.

Can't help but laugh every time I see him moving about, so reminiscent of a goose.

No Luiz or Mata for Chelsea, De Bruyne starts. Interesting.

Ecstatic to have Mourinho back, but I think that if you start Torres, you have to start Mata, and if you don't start Torres/Mata, you may as well start Schurrle. But, we'll see.

ETA: De Bruyne starting, Schurrle not. Anyway, will be interesting to see how Luiz gets used going forward. No Azpi either.

Having trouble deciding whether Palace or Hull have the most Championship squad in the league this year. Both getting relegated by March.

Jedinak should be at a better club.

I already want to crush Mourihno's face with a brick, and the game hasn't even started. This does not bode well for the season.

Tomorrow, we will make sure there is plenty of gin on hand. It seems that, no matter what happens, it's going to be a match that will drive one to drink.

Not starting mata? Queer indeed.

Tomorrow is the real game. The questionable toon vs alex's city at the etihad. What could go wrong?

I'll not be counting my chickens just yet...

Haha Frank you dickhead. Not that it matters, Hull are going to get flattened here.

To be fair one (or maybe two, can't recall off the top of my head) was a great save. Hopefully it wont become a regular problem again though.

yes, begovic made some great saves but still liverpool should have converted more chances.

hopefully, they will become better at it over the season.

So Luiz isn't even on the bench then - remind me why Chelsea turned down a bid of £35m for him again? :unsure:

Was he in action in the Internationals?I thought that's why he'd not have played. I assume it's part of the reason Mata/Lukaku aren';t playing, or at least a contributing factor.

Anyway, this will be comfortable. Clean sheet, please.

Archived