[Starz] Black Sails [Spoilers off the port bow!]

Commodore

Does anyone here have any knowledge on the firepower of Flint's man-at-war? I know he's now basically untouchable by other pirates at sea, but how would that ship fare if it were to go up against Nassau's fortress? I feel like the playing field between Flint and Vane is now level, but I could be mistaken.

No, I agree with Veltigar, the start of the season deserves some real praise and, although I have troubles with the cinematography sometimes, I must admit he's right about the tremendous lightning of that scene in particular.

:cheers: The lightning coupled with Dufresne's monolgue gave me a very Kurtzian vibe :)

I agree about that last scene and don't get me wrong, i love the show. I loved the first season even. But it's definitely not perfect and that first post made it sound like the best show on tv lol.

If the show keeps at this quality level (or better stil, if it keeps improving) it will be a very strong contender for best of the year. Hannibal, Vikings and the Knick better bring their A game if they want to compete in that case.

As to my post, I never said it was perfect. They could always improve. However, for anyone with a modicum of taste it should be clear that the first two episodes of this season have been of a remarkably high quality. Black Sails feels like an altogether different show than last year and I mean this in all the good ways. There's a lot more focus and the pace is really good, two things that were often lacking in the first season, which lacked direction and felt very slow at times.

The writers could always screw up next week of course, we still have eight episodes to go, so there's lots of time for things to go wrong. After the first two episodes however, I am casually optimistic. Which is a very nice place to be for someone who adores quality entertainment.

So far, yeah, BS is one of the best shows to air right now (although I must confess, I love Supernatural, The 100 and The Musketeers just as much). But I truly think the title of best show of Winter (at least) will be given to Vikings season 3 in the end.

I love your posts Veltigar and i didn't mean to come off as rude or anything. I love Vikings, The Knick, and Hannibal, but do you not have Justified in that category?

No worries man :) I don't have Justified on it since I only watched the first season (and perhaps a couple of season two I'm not sure). I'm terrible at following shows that already have a couple of seasons under their belt before I start watching.

So far, yeah, BS is one of the best shows to air right now (although I must confess, I love Supernatural, The 100 and The Musketeers just as much). But I truly think the title of best show of Winter (at least) will be given to Vikings season 3 in the end.

Well, Vikings does have a better trackrecord than Black Sails. I have come to expect quality of them, although you have to admit that Vikings second season opened with quite a dud. I hope they can now have great episodes from start to finish. Much will depend on their villain for the season. That's one thing that has always let me down with Vikings. Jarl Borg was the only good villain they had and it took a while before they knew what to do with him. When Vikings features a good villain, you get amazing episodes like Blood Eagle, so I pray that Ecbert or whoever it is this season delivers.

I also watch The Musketeers but I sadly do not share your enthusiasm. It's a fun little action romp, but the writing is often terrible. It's a big step up from BBC's the adventure of Merlin, Robin Hood or Sinbad though, I have to give the Musketeers credit for that.

this, i stopped watching midway through last season

I gotta agree that the show has improved a lot in just two episodes and if it continues like this we have one hell of a season ahead of us.

I think it started improving halfway through the first season. First 3-4 episodes were pretty meh but I thought they had a string of pretty good episodes rest of the way and they keep improving.

Having read a lot of "Pyrate history" I tend to second guess everything in this show, unlike GoT where it was just a matter of seeing what parts and characters the've cut, the totally anachronistic feel to this show makes it fun if you know what happens in treasure Island. Its like they've decided to just let historical accuracy stand back for a good tale. Anne Bonney was like 13 years old in 1715, Ed lowe wasn't active until 1719 I think and so on, but WHO CARES? Ragnar Lothbrook was a myth as well, if I wanted the exact same thing as history or the myth, I'd pick up a book.

With that said, no more friggin sunglasses, please.

Holy Shit...

Didn't expect Ned Low to go down so soon...

Vane's badassery is way off limit.

And Holy Crap, that ending...

You know that a show has done his job with the characters, when you root for both sides of a conflict and you pray that the said conflict gets defused.

Hmmm, not as good as episode one and two. It wasn't bad, in fact it was a solid episode, but it was very obviously set up to tie us over for next weeks episode. Not to enthusiastic about the return of the Barlow woman. I really hope she gets killed off by the end of the season, I just don't enjoy her acting and storyline at all (which says a lot, since she shares most of her screentime with Captain Flint who's far and away my favourite character). Perhaps she can turn me around though, we'll see.

I was surprised by the death of Ned Low. Very surprised, since I thought he was set up to be the antagonist of the season (perhaps racing Flint and Vane for the gold, forcing them to team up), with the girls family set up as the antagonist for next season (where all the pirates would face down the government). Now, the writers decision to kill him off makes me casually optimistic. Low was a great villain of the badshit insane sort, so the fact that they take him off the board so quickly must mean that they have something good in store and are quite confident that it will deliver (I hope so at least).

Not a big fan of Vane/Eleanor. The writers flip-flop a little bit to much with that relationship imo. Like, the fact that she hooks up with Vane I can quite understand, saving her life and all that, but why on earth is she so spooked by Flint all of a sudden. Sure, he killed Gates, but that just shows how zealously devoted he is to the place, a devotion Eleanor very much seemed to share, given that hug at the beginning. I'm also feeling slightly puzzled by her relationship with Flint. The hug, him talking about her, do we need to see some romantic undercurrent (mostly from his side) or more like father-daughter (rule of two style).

I must say I don't have any idea about how this is all going to develop further next week. I would like to see a battle, but I don't know, filming a battle like that would seem to be very expensive and I don't know if the show can afford to dole out that amount of cash on a mere fourth episode. Therefore, I assume Eleanor and Silver might work their magic next week to settle the matter or a third party shows up to complicate things further (e.g. Uphill with men from the interior forcing Vane to divide his forces instead of focussing on the Man of War). But who knows, anything can happen.

I also rewatched the first season last week. It was better than I remembered. Episode 5-8 were all good to very good. The pilot was uneven, but Flint's part was awesome. The second episode was average. Only three and four were really bad.

Also nice to see the black guy with those four scars on his head back. I don't think the character was named last season, but he's suitably intimidating. I'm curious to see how he'll perform as Eleanor's muscle :)

I didn't expect Low to get it so soon either....

This was a bridge episode... and it was still really good.... it really built up a lot of tension/anticipation

It's a crime that it isn't more talked about tbh. Like where are all the reviews, where is all the buzz?

Another good episode. Very strong series so far.

It seems improbable that a single warship could attack a fort unless the fort is quite small or is poorly armed. There is too much advantage to having larger guns, a stable firing position, higher elevation, an ability to fire heated shot and being much less vulnerable to damage.

Mrs. Barlow is an unfortunately dull and dreary character. Nice to see more back story on Flint but the visits to her cottage are tedious.

Therefore, I assume Eleanor and Silver might work their magic next week

I actually truly look forward to another Silver / Eleanor meeting. I think there's something to do, storywise, if the characters get to hang along.

Not a big fan of Vane/Eleanor. The writers flip-flop a little bit to much with that relationship imo. Like, the fact that she hooks up with Vane I can quite understand, saving her life and all that, but why on earth is she so spooked by Flint all of a sudden. Sure, he killed Gates, but that just shows how zealously devoted he is to the place, a devotion Eleanor very much seemed to share, given that hug at the beginning. I'm also feeling slightly puzzled by her relationship with Flint. The hug, him talking about her, do we need to see some romantic undercurrent (mostly from his side) or more like father-daughter (rule of two style).

Oh, I think Eleanor already worked her magic, by asking a favor from Mrs. Barlow.

I'm not entirely sure of course, but the fact that they hid what it was from the viewer is a strong hint.

I think the farmers might come into the fold and play a role in defusing the conflict. But how?

Archived