[Starz] Black Sails [Spoilers off the port bow!]

Commodore

Yeah, btw it got me thinking.

How come that Hamilton's only support became the governor of Carolina, while Hamilton himself got betrayed and probably killed? It doesn't make sense... unless the said support betrayed him.

I think Ashe is the one who betrayed Hamilton. And Mrs Barlow knows that Flint might be interested in his daughter, in order to seek vengeance. That's my theory for next episode.

Yeah, damn curious to see where the Abigail plot is going, and what lies in the past between her father, Lord Hamilton, Miss Barlow and Flint is that seems to furthermore complicate the state of things now !

Glad things are going up for Rackham. I wonder if we'll ever get a Mary Read. It was also the first episode where I truly felt Max as a more rounded character, so who knows...

I'm getting a good feeling about the next episode :) Things seem to proceed like last season, with the first two episode being better than episode three and four. Let's hope that, like last year, the episodes will get even better from now. What a season that would be.

As to how the plot with Abigail Ash will unfold, I already know. I accidentally spoiled myself on that one by reading a review (to be fair, it did say spoilers, but I thought it was going to be a spoiler about the faith of the fortress). If the show follows history in this case, I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

Three things surprised me in this episode. The first was John Silver's unbelievably tiny role in this week's plot. I think even Mrs. Barlow had more lines than him. The second one was Flint ordering to commence firing. After all the agonizing and soulsearching, I was sure that he would delay long enough for Eleanor and John to pull some rabbits out of their hats, but it wasn't meant to be. Good for Hornigold I guess, the man is looking more batshit crazy by the minute. I'm sure the actor is relishing the part. Finally, I thought that Max would have gotten the location of the treasure by now. Perhaps it happens nextweek, but I could totally see Rackham trying to steal that treasure right from underneath Flint's nose (basically when two dogs fight over a bone, a third one carries it away).

Another minor surprise was the lack of Underhill. I wasn't surprised by Eleanor's father appearing, but I did expect her to go to the Underhill estate and meat her father and Underhill there. Still curious to see how this will play into the whole issue over the fort. I'm thinking a team-up between Vane and Flint is still the most logical solution

Btw does anyone ever listen to Mr. Scott? :P Everyone asks for his advice and then they all just ignore it :laugh:

Also, some thoughts on a certain development. I'll put it in spoilerbrackets since not everyone reading this thread has caught up with the first season

What's the angle with Billy? Was he sent back to Nassau as a spy? Is he there to save Abigail (in exchange for a prize of some sort)? Did he escape? And do we think Flint was responsible for his unfortunate encounter with the sea or not? I'm still inclined to believe that Billy fell without any assistance of Flint.

EDIT: OP, if you are still following this thread, perhaps it would be best to add [spoilerS] to the thread title :) We have been using it like a spoilerthread anyway, so perhaps it is best if we mark it as such.

So who saw that reveal coming? Adds an interesting layer to the Barlow relationship. Great episode.

I called it some time early in season one.

It really wasn't that obvious though, and once I saw Flint going after Miss Barlow I figured I was probably wrong about it. But no Flint, Hamilton, and Miss Barlow were having a big consensual polygamous relationship. Now the question remains, how do we know Thomas Hamilton is dead? I hope the flashbacks aren't over.

I tend to think the flashbacks will be over, with them ending on Flint and Mrs Barlow's departure to Nassau, but I think the present will answer some questions, with the Ash father and daughter plotline.

As for the ending, during the final scene I kept wondering how they'd finish the episode, wether on the quiet / melancholic note of the relationship reveal or on something more explosive... and then, a microsecond before he showed up, I remembered the promo where we clearly saw Vane attack Flint...

Damn bastards to end on something like this ! ^^

I'm glad I don't watch the trailers then.

Because the attack really took me off guard. A damn good ending.

well Vane did say he had to cut off the head

kind of silly for Flint to be walking around without any men, given he is an obvious target

Incomplete episode! I've never seen such a huge editing mistake! They started a fight and then the episode ends without the fight they'd promised for this week! Bait and switch. Those devious pirates are now stealing the content of their own show and depriving us of the goods we've purchased from the cable company!!!

And by the way if one isn't even safe from bisexual aggression in the halls of upstanding citizens in London then what chance is there to escape it on the high seas? Was it the prestigious wigs that caused them to lust for one another's man flesh? The more prestigious the wig, the more bisexual the episode? Hey maybe the redhead pirate lass who stormed off will come to Flint's rescue if she was storming off to join Flint's army or something. You know what you could probably sell a lot of on Nassau: Pez. Each captain could hand out one distinctive kind of Pez dispenser to his crew to mark them as belonging to that ship. Then as they're all sitting around on the island they could be popping Pez to pass the time instead of killing and maiming.

I do wonder whether or not Flint is gay or bisexual. He seemed eager enough an episode or two ago to sleep with Mrs. Barlow when she came on to him. If that scene hadn't been there, I think no one would have batted an eyelid at this revelation (Their season one sex scene didn't exactly speak of great passion).

A nice little twist though. I especially liked the quote in the book, it was very sweet (and sad given what happened to Thomas. Either murder or suicide, although I'm leaning towards the latter for now). Plus, it was great to see yet another layer piled on top of Toby Stephen's Captain Flint. He was always a very rounded character, but he's definitely reaching new heights.

I'm hoping we get to see the admiral again (the one who Flint considered to be like a father to him). I don't recall the name I'm affraid, but I think he would make a killer antagonist. His cold betrayal mixed with Flint seeing him as a father would make for dramatically high stakes.

Next week will hopefully contain a bit more action and the return of the Silver/Flint bromance (Who knows, we might have to leave the b out there eventually :P ). This episode was great, better than last week even, but I still prefer episode one and two. However, I think we all have to give the writers credit. Last season, the landlocked episodes were pretty dreadful and the island was boring as shit (a slight overstatement, but you all get the sentiment). This season though, the island scenes feel like they really matter. They have stakes of their own and it kind of makes sense for them not going after the Urca gold yet (I suspect that choice will cost them, not much of it will be left at the end of the season imo).

One point of criticism, the subplots - with the exception of that of Charles Vane - felt a bit sleight imo. Luckily, Flint's A-story was there to save the day. But Silver and Billy was nothing more than a bit of banter (Randall was again a scene stealer though :) ) and Eleanor's troubles with her father deserved some more time allocated to it. But that's just my opinion of course.

I tend to think the flashbacks will be over, with them ending on Flint and Mrs Barlow's departure to Nassau, but I think the present will answer some questions, with the Ash father and daughter plotline.

I'm still wondering who Flint killed on that ship in that season one flashback. They kind of made a big deal out of that murder last season, but we still haven't met any characters that fit the mold. I think we need to get them first before a complete stop of the flashbacks. I hope they are Nassau related, because I would like to see Eleanor's mother to be honest.

Plus, if they casted a young Eleanor, they might work on Flint's relationship with her. I'm a big fan of their interaction and I would like to either give them a sort of father/daughter relationship (remeniscent of that moment last season where Flint got drunk before leaving for the Urca) or a future romantic one (that doesn't seem likely anymore now though).

Damn bastards to end on something like this ! ^^

Personally, the thing I have a problem with is the fact they featured this so prominently in the trailer. This would have been a good to great ending, if we hadn't seen this coming, but ending like that after making it out to be a big deal in the trailer? Not cool. As always fuck the marketing guys.

Ugh, I was just checking out IMDB and the Black Sails FB page. What a bunch of homophobes. Really disgusting to see how many people find Flint less of a badass/manly simply because he smooched with a dude on screen. Really sad reminder of the main audience of this show imo. Fucking dudebro's and hillbillies.

Archived