[Starz] Black Sails [Spoilers off the port bow!]

Commodore

Funny how shows start off underwhelming and then quickly become one of the best shows on TV. Still 2 episodes to catch the rest of you but this show is delivering on all fronts. I'm pretty sure it has some of the most interesting relationship dynamics I've seen on TV. They aren't just romance or "shock" but are always about a variety of things incuding power plays and politics.

Yes, welcome to our little congregation. It is now your duty to push this series on to everyone you know. People need to watch this show!

The end of episode 5 where Flint reads the dedication actually choked me up -

Yeah, that was really touching. An incredibly great episode that one :)

Damn having to go to work because ending on a Flint vs Vane cliffhanger is painful!

We had to wait a whole week :P Count your blessings :P

He, only two episodes for you to watch until Saturday (or Sunday) if you live in Europe.

6 and 7 are a little bit slower than the previous 5 episodes of season 2 but they still deliver a hell lot !

6 might be the worst episode of the season and I would still call it very good. Seven is slower, but also one of the highlights of an incredibly strong season for me.

This is easily my favourite tv program right now, out of the four we're currently watching. It's not popcorn fluff and it's rather interesting. And the acting is pretty much superb. Toby Stephens continues to impress but the whole cast is fairly strong. Not a fan of Max's accent but she nails the acting side.

Toby Stephens is a force of nature isn't he? :) Of course, he is acting royalty, being the son of Dame Maggie Smith. I really hope he does more screen work, I think he's much more drawn to theater, but for anyone not living in the UK that means it's quite hard to see him in action.

[spoilers for the opening sequence]: I now believe the ivory/ebony battle between carved figurines of crewmen, pirates, and skeletons was all staged via clever editing. Much like Silver is attempting to stage things to steal the prize. So much duplicity and sex! It's all about how you look at the cleavage. Is the bra halfway pulled up or halfway pulled down? Pirates. Masters of sneak they are, as well as students of the double cross: after they cross you once, look for them to cross you again. Now, as for Flint, his hair seems shorter since the bisexual revelation, perhaps a haircut timed to coincide with that flashback even. Some kind of allusion to Samson? Jack seems primed to become the master of the universe if this secret mission works out. The loopy redhead piratess is on the train to Strangeville, forcing the madam to navigate a stormy sea of personal turmoil as she guides her brothel in to port leaking blood but not sinking just yet. The blonde's dad will have to suffer a prodding and a ransoming it seems. The guy who pirates the fort is full of sexual anger, his boner has been betrayed. Soon we'll see an adult tantrum from him the likes of which we haven't seen for at least 2 episodes now!

I dont think it's like that.

Personally, I feel he's fundamentaly heterosexual but he felt in love with that particular man (sometimes it's not a question of gender). But that's my reading, maybe I'm wrong.

I dont think it's like that.

Personally, I feel he's fundamentaly heterosexual but he felt in love with that particular man (sometimes it's not a question of gender). But that's my reading, maybe I'm wrong.

I'm with you - I think he fell in love with the character and his ideals moreso than the fact he was male. Although from what I've seen there could be an argument that Hamilton was gay and not bisexual as (unless I missed something) there was never a physical scene of him and his wife together. That with the fact he had no problem with her "affairs" could suggest it was a platonic love between those two. This would fit with the implication she was physically attracted to Flint and in love with Hamilton's mind.

I'm with you - I think he fell in love with the character and his ideals moreso than the fact he was male. Although from what I've seen there could be an argument that Hamilton was gay and not bisexual as (unless I missed something) there was never a physical scene of him and his wife together. That with the fact he had no problem with her "affairs" could suggest it was a platonic love between those two. This would fit with the implication she was physically attracted to Flint and in love with Hamilton's mind.

This is my reading of it as well.

First he had a relationship with that woman, then after that a flashback with a guy. But before he was flashing back to the guy he was flirting forward with the woman. Do only flashbacks contain the truth, or do we live in a world where meaningful things spill over into the non-flashback portion of our lives? So for now he's tied to both, as a flexible sea captain. Come to think of it, teacher training also tells them of the need to be flexible in the classroom, which is perhaps why so many teachers are getting themselves in the news lately.

mushrooms

The last time I ordered mushrooms on a company-payed-for pizza some of the gang looked at me askance. Askance! Right away they refused to eat from that pizza before they even saw or smelled the finished product, as if mushrooms on a pizza was the most disgusting and horrifying thing they'd ever heard of and could not imagined. Like they were saying "What the F is the deal with you? What kind of person would do that?" It was my version of how some people suffer racism.

Caught up at last!

The last two episodes were a bit slower but it seemed they were busy moving things into place. I'm finding I'm missing the flashbacks, now they are gone as it definitely explained more about Flint and what he was up to but it had served its purpose.

It was pretty clear Silver was up to something so that wasn't so much of a surprise but it should lead to some interesting developments. I did enjoy Billy's reasoning for siding with Flint and how he weeded out the least trustworthy crewmembers.

Now I'll have to take some time reading back through the thread.

This show is incredibly boring. The acting is decent, but writing is with few exceptions horrible. It's like every year they have prepared only 2-3 episodes worth of material and they decide to stretch them into whole season. Every ep feels like filler except last 5 minutes with cliffhanger (implying next ep will be better - it won't). Assasin's Creed: Black Flag had more exciting pirate story and that with all templar/assasin stupidity and being computer game. I understand they don't have budget for a lot of sea battles for example, but show us some action, move the story forward instead of all that constant yapping and yapping.

This show is incredibly boring. The acting is decent, but writing is with few exceptions horrible. It's like every year they have prepared only 2-3 episodes worth of material and they decide to stretch them into whole season. Every ep feels like filler except last 5 minutes with cliffhanger (implying next ep will be better - it won't). Assasin's Creed: Black Flag had more exciting pirate story and that with all templar/assasin stupidity and being computer game. I understand they don't have budget for a lot of sea battles for example, but show us some action, move the story forward instead of all that constant yapping and yapping.

You could say the exact same thing about the GoT TV series. Almost all of it is people talking, with very little "action". And yet you never hear anyone accusing that series of being boring.

You could say the exact same thing about the GoT TV series. Almost all of it is people talking, with very little "action". And yet you never hear anyone accusing that series of being boring.

Well GoT is certainly a letdown, after you've read a book... But at least something happens there. Pirates in Black Sails spent whole first season arguing how to take one treasure ship and whole second season they are arguing how to take the same ship. I wonder whether the issue will be over after this season or they plan to end second season with "cliffhanger" before attacking Urca.

Well GoT is certainly a letdown, after you've read a book... But at least something happens there. Pirates in Black Sails spent whole first season arguing how to take one treasure ship and whole second season they are arguing how to take the same ship. I wonder whether the issue will be over after this season or they plan to end second season with "cliffhanger" before attacking Urca.

The Urca and its gold is the Macguffin. It's not about that, it's just a backdrop for the characters.

Archived