[Starz] Black Sails [Spoilers off the port bow!]

Commodore

Shit...

What is it about being in a Starz series that's so bad for actors' health? The actor who played Spartacus in Blood and Sand in the first season (2010) died of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in 2011.

I'm likely misremembering, but isn't Billy Bones important to Treasure Island? Seems like they've made a bit of a change already...

He puts the events of the book in motion. So, he's pretty damn important, even though he dies rather quickly in the book.

I suspect Billy will reappear. Perhaps as a prisoner or member of another crew.

:agree: It will probably happen pretty soon. If Billy survived and Flint (as I suspect) had nothing to do with his disappearence, he might help him regain his captancy.

I don't understand, the characters keep getting even more and more amazing (this episode, Flint topped himself once more). Where are they heading? Isn't there a roof somewhere?

I have no words for Flint, right now.

I fucking love this show.

Ep X---Billy Fucking Bones

I knew it was him, but frankly I didn't recognize his face. Did they recast him too? :')

Wow, I dont see how Ned Low can get away with it !

Aint killing a man that way in Nassau ill considered ? That's almost a declaration of war against the pirate community, or, at least, a massive blow to his reputation. I know he was a real psychopath, but aint that a little too much ? I can definitly see a lot of crews uniting against him if he keeps shitting around in Nassau.

That would be terrible writing.

Because that wouldn't surprise anybody. Cheap plot device.

dude, your user name is taken from a show that i love and likely leads the league in terrible writing and cheap plot devices. settle down, eh?

i am enjoying this show i simply refer to as 'pirates.'

it has good costumes, lots of british accents, some violence and makes me think of playing d&d.

EDIT: In all my gushing I forgot to ask my question: The guy who was "interrogating" Billy, was he the same guy that was drinking with Flint? They kind of looked alike?

I really don't understand how this was even possible. Really a remarkable episode, even better than last week. We're only two episodes in, so things may change still, but so far this show has shown an astonishing rise in quality. Season one was mildly interesting overall, really nothing special, with only one remarkable episode (V). I think I mainly stuck around for Toby Stephens and the fact that this is a show about pirates.

Season two though, Black Sails seems to be evolving into the kind of show I wanted it to be. Great performances, great action, great music (but Bear McCready, so that was a given), interesting visuals and most important of all, great writing. Even the lesbian subplot, which was really the only letdown last week, was great. I really wasn't looking forward to see the development of that subplot, but now I'm even on board with that.

I was sure they were going to drag out the Flint regaining his captaincy plot for at least another episode (perhaps even two), but the writers tied it up really nicely in just a single episode. The flashbacks are a really nice addition. Flint was already the most interesting character by a mile, but these just add even more layers to him. The pairing with Silver also keeps paying off. Both actors really just suck your attention to them.

I loved how the writers got Silver back in the good graces of the crew. I was as skeptical as Flint when I heard his plan (which made it even better), but I did not see the goat reveal coming. It was funny as hell and I completely bought the fact that the crew would allow him back. Also nice to see Randall back again.

Ned Low keeps pushing the boundaries of depravity even further. It was great seeing all those other pirates shit their pants when he went at it. I'm really looking forward to his inevitable clash with Flint. I really like the way they handle violence on here. It's very realistic. I was watching the BBC show the Musketeers earlier today and it really bugs me how bloodless they always keep the violence on shows like that. They might even kill more people than Black Sails does, but god forbid that a spec of blood is showing, because it might upset the audience.

Another thing I have to applaud Black Sails for so far is the attitude towards tits and ass. This season hasn't seen any gratuitous nudity yet. When we saw brief glances, it felt serviceable to the story. So much better than GoT, where it can often feel like the other way around, with the story just being there to provide opportunities for boobs.

Wow, I dont see how Ned Low can get away with it !

Aint killing a man that way in Nassau ill considered ? That's almost a declaration of war against the pirate community, or, at least, a massive blow to his reputation. I know he was a real psychopath, but aint that a little too much ? I can definitly see a lot of crews uniting against him if he keeps shitting around in Nassau.

I think he can get away with it because his most brutal act of violence they know of was against a seemingly renegade member of his own crew. They probably feel like that's strictly his own business. And Eleanor isn't exactly everyone's favourite person at the moment, so having her man killed is probably something they don't care for. They might even feel sympathy for Low there, if they think Eleanor was up to her old tricks, trying to depose another captain.

I don't understand, the characters keep getting even more and more amazing (this episode, Flint topped himself once more). Where are they heading? Isn't there a roof somewhere?

I have no words for Flint, right now.

The way he took command back was just brilliant. The word badass gets overused, but if you look it up in an online dictionary, there should be a video of that scene and Flint's confident strut to explain the word.

Another thing that is great about this show is the lighting. I was rewatching the final scene between Dufresne and Flint and the candlelight lighting is just excellent. A great scene.

No, I agree with Veltigar, the start of the season deserves some real praise and, although I have troubles with the cinematography sometimes, I must admit he's right about the tremendous lightning of that scene in particular.

No, I agree with Veltigar, the start of the season deserves some real praise and, although I have troubles with the cinematography sometimes, I must admit he's right about the tremendous lightning of that scene in particular.

I agree about that last scene and don't get me wrong, i love the show. I loved the first season even. But it's definitely not perfect and that first post made it sound like the best show on tv lol.

Archived