[Starz] Black Sails [Spoilers off the port bow!]

Commodore

The pirate ship politics might be accurate but something's still off about the island. I do think it's not cutthroat enough. It's far too civilized a society than what I imagine. The way Hannah New was able to usurp Vane as the captain of his ship was a little ridiculous. When I think of pirates, I think of characters like the road agents from Deadwood or Rorge and Biter and the Bloody Mummers from ASOIAF. They wouldn't have taken orders or succumbed to the demands of a pretty blonde lady who thinks she's boss of the island. At least I don't think so.

Yeah, I think the Deadwood model of lawless town with some natural authorities would work much better. The problem with the blonde is that she has no enforces like Swerengen, I think in reality should would have much bigger problems with protecting her business. Also there seem to be no powers on the island besides her, again unlike Deadwood. The whole town seems to be too clean and peaceful, I'd expect a lot of crime and murders from pirate capital. All we got was some drunkenness and whoring.

Ok, found it http://www.amazon.com/The-Invisible-Hook-Economics-Pirates/dp/0691150095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392061127&sr=8-1&keywords=invisible+hook+piracy

It was fairly enjoyable. I don't recall if it talked so much about island life :)

The contents:

The invisible hook
Vote for Blackbeard : the economics of pirate democracy
An-arrgh-chy: the economics of the pirate code
Skull & bones: the economics of the Jolly Roger
Walk the plank: the economics of pirate torture
Pressing pegleg: the economics of pirate conscription
Equal pay for equal prey: the economics of pirate tolerance
The secrets of pirate management
Epilogue: omnipresent economics
Postscript: You can't keep a sea dog down: the fall and rise of piracy.

In terms of the island, maybe though, in order for business to run smoothly, you needed at least a semblance of order? Otherwise nothing would get accomplished? I dunno. I mean, someone has already been murdered at election time.

Yeah, I think the Deadwood model of lawless town with some natural authorities would work much better. The problem with the blonde is that she has no enforces like Swerengen, I think in reality should would have much bigger problems with protecting her business. Also there seem to be no powers on the island besides her, again unlike Deadwood. The whole town seems to be too clean and peaceful, I'd expect a lot of crime and murders from pirate capital. All we got was some drunkenness and whoring.

Not everyone can sell stolen goods like the Guthries can. All the pirates that do steal them are probably known outlaws. So unless someone else with the same contacts throughout the British Empire and abilities to sell stuff comes along, she should not have any competition.

Regarding the crime level, considering that pirates don't seem to tolerate thieving among their own, crime still needs to be discrete or face the consequences.

• 2 weeks later...

I already liked this show, eventhough it hadn't really done anything to earn my liking yet. But Episode V seriously made up for it :D

Some speculation for next weaks episode:

Any one else think that Vane will show up to save Flint and his Crew when they are in dire need. I'm sure it has something to do with the ghost Vane saw in his opium dreams. It's either the ghost of the man Vane killed and never compensated Flint for or perhaps even Blackbeard who Vane might convince to come to Flint's aid. Personally, I favor the first possibility

I already liked this show, eventhough it hadn't really done anything to earn my liking yet. But Episode V seriously made up for it :D

Some speculation for next weaks episode:

Any one else think that Vane will show up to save Flint and his Crew when they are in dire need. I'm sure it has something to do with the ghost Vane saw in his opium dreams. It's either the ghost of the man Vane killed and never compensated Flint for or perhaps even Blackbeard who Vane might convince to come to Flint's aid. Personally, I favor the first possibility

Don't know, but I do like that they made Vane be more than just the thug he appeared to be in the beginning.

This last episode was the best. I like that they showed the taking of the ship from the point of view of the first timer guy. The Father's actions were also a nice move -- were we supposed to gather that he betrayed his daughter in the last episode?

I'll probably finish out the season, but they'll need a really strong ending for me to tune in for another season. This show is going to lose interest really fast in the off-season as none of these characters (except maybe Vane and his sidekick) are memorable.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the whole set up that happened at the end of this last episode re: Silver, Gates and Flint. Interesting stuff.

I don't believe Flint knocked Billy overboard. I don't feel he's that ruthless to pursue his agenda.

I like the whole set up that happened at the end of this last episode re: Silver, Gates and Flint. Interesting stuff.

I don't believe Flint knocked Billy overboard. I don't feel he's that ruthless to pursue his agenda.

I agree. I'm pretty sure Billy fell over board and that his survival will be known in the next episode.

But then he kills Gates. Blargh. That really upset me. He is so focused on his revenge he killed his only ally, who was going to deliver him to safety, after everything.

I am very interested in Flint. Rackham is comedic relief. The rest I don't much care about but I still look forward to the next season.

Great show. I loved it all. Actually, I've never loved something that much for years...

It was perfect and amazing. I can't wait until season 2.

A shame that this show will now be replaced by the silly and ridiculus Da Vinci's demons...

Archived