HBO's "Westworld" [Spoilers!]

AncalagonTheBlack

I'm thinking it was Jeffrey Wright after a quick look at who was cast in this.

Anyway, not familiar at all with this, but it looks mighty interesting.

I didn't think it wad anyone other than Harris.

Looks interesting.

• 5 months later...
13 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

This leaves HBO with NOTHING for the Summer after GoT in April. The Leftovers will surely be in the Fall again and with no True Detective Season 3 this leaves them in a bad spot.

Not a great subscription year for them. They need to pull their finger out with some new shows - probably superhero related. There was mention of them looking at Watchmen although I'd have thought Wildcards would make far more sense - especially from a marketing POV "from the author of GOT - superheroes as you've never seen them before".

Doe the halt in filming definitely mean a gap in the schedule? It could be they can still start airing in summer if it's only 2 episodes they have yet to film.

I can understand them leaving True Detective Season 3 until they have a tight concept and script.

The article mentions that the studio is not expecting any delay from their 2016 date for the show due this temporary halt.

Given that they never said when it would be released in 2016 anyway, that could technically be true. Seems like it is planned for a Fall release.

31 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

The article mentions that the studio is not expecting any delay from their 2016 date for the show due this temporary halt.

Given that they never said when it would be released in 2016 anyway, that could technically be true. Seems like it is planned for a Fall release.

If this is in the Fall they still have a huge hole in the Summer.

It's not ideal, but is it really a huge problem for them? I know some people who sign up for a specific show and then cancel the subscription until next year. But I think the vast majority of subscribers just sign up and then stay signed up, at least until the shows they like end. I don't think many people are going to realize "huh they've got no new original programming this summer" and cancel their subscription for three months.  

But what do I know. 

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

It's not ideal, but is it really a huge problem for them? I know some people who sign up for a specific show and then cancel the subscription until next year. But I think the vast majority of subscribers just sign up and then stay signed up, at least until the shows they like end. I don't think many people are going to realize "huh they've got no new original programming this summer" and cancel their subscription for three months.  

But what do I know. 

It's just a weird situation especially not promoting something for after GoT Season 6. They usually want to capitalize on GoT's finale and have that be a lead in to one of their other programs. 

The Young Pope miniseries starting Jude Law and Diane Keaton is supposed to air sometime in 2016 too. I doubt it'll be a big hit for HBO, but at least it'll be something to take the Sunday 9pm slot for 8 weeks, probably in the Summer.

isn't the summer traditionally an off period for TV in America anyhow? Better to have your shows in the fall-spring window?

I know I tend to stick with my netflix subscription even though it would make more sense to buy it for the months a show I like is out. I guess that's why netflix would like to have a big show out every week (or at least every month).

On January 19, 2016 at 11:18 AM, red snow said:

Not a great subscription year for them. They need to pull their finger out with some new shows - probably superhero related. There was mention of them looking at Watchmen although I'd have thought Wildcards would make far more sense - especially from a marketing POV "from the author of GOT - superheroes as you've never seen them before".

Doe the halt in filming definitely mean a gap in the schedule? It could be they can still start airing in summer if it's only 2 episodes they have yet to film.

I can understand them leaving True Detective Season 3 until they have a tight concept and script.

I doubt there will be much of a delay - if any - when it comes to the air date for this  show. A similar delay happened with the first season of The Leftovers, where production halted after the fifth episode had wrapped shooting in order for the writers to more clearly lay out the back half of the season. 

It was originally supposed to premiere after the last season finale of Game of Thrones, but ended up being delayed only a week or two because of the halt in filming. Also, Westworld has a ten episode order, so they're writing the last four episodes. 

As for HBO having a bad subscription year... I actually think this will be one of the strongest years they've had in a long time. 

http://hbowatch.com/hbos-yearender-clip-2016-speculation/

For me there's GOT, Westworld and I'll probably give Vinyl a go (although I'm checking it out for the creators rather than the subject matter). That's a pretty poor line-up for a year. I think there's more shows I'll be watching on several other networks.

If Westworld or Vinyl turns out to be the next GOT or Sopranos then it doesn't really matter if the number of shows they have is pretty thin at the moment.

I'd probably include Leftovers but I haven't got around to watching any of it yet. It is the final season this year,right?

13 hours ago, red snow said:

I'd probably include Leftovers but I haven't got around to watching any of it yet. It is the final season this year,right?

Yeah. Still waiting to hear if it'll be a full season or one of those shortened final seasons HBO is so fond of using for it's criminally underrated shows. 

On 1/23/2016 at 8:41 PM, Khal-a-bunga said:

I doubt there will be much of a delay - if any - when it comes to the air date for this  show. A similar delay happened with the first season of The Leftovers, where production halted after the fifth episode had wrapped shooting in order for the writers to more clearly lay out the back half of the season. 

It was originally supposed to premiere after the last season finale of Game of Thrones, but ended up being delayed only a week or two because of the halt in filming. Also, Westworld has a ten episode order, so they're writing the last four episodes. 

As for HBO having a bad subscription year... I actually think this will be one of the strongest years they've had in a long time. 

http://hbowatch.com/hbos-yearender-clip-2016-speculation/

They've got some great stuff coming up potentially but HBO seems to have a lot more problems getting things done nowadays.

There's the highly anticipated miniseries Lewis and Clark which was halted. Due in 2016 that one was.

Westworld, also problematic development.

And then the mentioned properties like Foundation don't seem to make any progress at all.

• 5 weeks later...

This is where HBO could use some reliable, if unspectacular, shows in their lineup, especially given the shift in their business model away from complete reliance on cable providers. A cop drama, for instance, would make a lot of sense, and I don't mean True Detective because that's a different kind of animal. International espionage/spies would be another option, especially since Homeland has basically turned into complete shit. 

we'll have to hope these delays result in a "Fury Road" outcome as opposed to "pile of crap"

I guess cable channels are scared of cop shows after "the wire" but you'd think there'd be plenty of room for one handled well.

11 minutes ago, red snow said:

we'll have to hope these delays result in a "Fury Road" outcome as opposed to "pile of crap"

I guess cable channels are scared of cop shows after "the wire" but you'd think there'd be plenty of room for one handled well.

But why? The Wire is revered as one of the greatest shows of all time. 

Archived