Whats up with the Jorah dislike?

Tyrion1991

"Best" is an interesting choice of words. "Most profitable" yes but "best"? I wonder if he fully understands Dany at this moment: she is on the verge of crying when he says this and her reaction is to rescue Ereoh and the others.

They were after the cash money, so... under the circumstances one might argue that it was the "best" advice for that situation. :(

Wow, that quote got all jumbled... Yes, I think he loves her. I'm not saying he's a great guy or happily ever after, I don't say that about anyone in this series, but yes, I think it's mutual.

Dany's thoughts on the matter are, "He loves the Dragon Queen not me" and "she would not call it love" (i think she loves him, but her head recognizes what it actually is to a degree)

As much as Darrio represents war he represents the girl in Dany as well, she brings it up several times before giving in to temptation

i think the Dany's fire and blood revelation at the end of Dance is problematic, not because war or fighting is in itself problematic, but because she has a very child like understanding of what fire and blood is

She has moments of doubt (and you are paraphrasing there), which are normal, but I think we are meant to think she loves him and he loves her, there's enough in the story to tell us that. This isn't just sex the author is talking about here. And again, that last chapter, she's calling him "her love" and thinking he'll be there, around the corner, to rescue her. She wants him there with her, she clearly trusts him at this point, she's turned a corner:

A few from before her last chapter:

Oh, and flowers for my hair. When first they met, the captain brought her flowers every day, all the way from Yunkai to Meereen...

“Where should I escape to?”

“Into my bed. Into my arms. Into my heart.”...

As Daario Naharis took a knee before her, Dany’s heart gave a lurch...

Khal Drogo had been her sun-and-stars, but he had been dead so long that Daenerys had almost forgotten how it felt to love and be loved. Daario had helped her to remember. I was dead and he brought me back to life. I was asleep and he woke me. My brave captain...

No one had ever kissed her like Daario Naharis...

And her last chapter:

And Daario … Dany pictured him riding toward her through the tall grass, smiling, his golden tooth gleaming with the last light of the setting sun...

She wondered if her captain’s blades still hung upon the wall beside her bed, waiting for Daario to return and claim them. “I will leave my girls with you,” he had said. “Keep them safe for me, beloved.” And she wondered how much the Yunkai’i knew about what her captain meant to her...

She found herself thinking of Meereen, of Daario, her love, and Hizdahr, her husband, of Irri and Jhiqui and sweet Missandei, Ser Barristan and Reznak and Skahaz Shavepate...

“Walk,” Dany commanded herself. “Follow the stream and it will take you to the Skahazadhan. That’s where Daario will find you.”...

But none of those things had happened. Bells, Dany thought again. Her bloodriders had found her. “Aggo,” she whispered. “Jhogo. Rakharo.” Might Daario have come with them?...

In Meereen I was a queen in silk, nibbling on stuffed dates and honeyed lamb, she remembered. What would my noble husband think if he could see me now? Hizdahr would be horrified, no doubt. But Daario …

Daario would laugh, carve off a hunk of horsemeat with his arakh, and squat down to eat beside her.

Ian Glen isn't a good fit for Jorah. He's too good-looking and interesting, he looks like a cultured, sofisticated gentleman who would have no problem attracting pretty girls. If Ser Jorah looked and sounded like Ian Glen, Dany would be all over him.

I've thought that Glen has been miscast since ADWD came out. He plays Jorah well... But he would have been the perfect Jon Connington.

She has moments of doubt (and you are paraphrasing there), which are normal, but I think we are meant to think she loves him and he loves her, there's enough in the story to tell us that. This isn't just sex the author is talking about here. And again, that last chapter, she's calling him "her love" and thinking he'll be there, around the corner, to rescue her. She wants him there with her, she clearly trusts him at this point, she's turned a corner:

I'm 99% certain those quotes are in the texts and will look tonight if need be, i guess mine don't count though

Also that scene of Darrio riding to her is almost an exact copy of something Cersie thinks of Jamie the only difference being Jamie lacks a gold tooth and the sun is rising....i see some love in their relationship, but i see more Tyrion/Shae than anything, Tyrions head knows what the relationship is, but he lets his heart and desires deceive him, Dany is walking the same path

I'm 99% certain those quotes are in the texts and will look tonight if need be, i guess mine don't count though

No, yours are not direct quotes, although she said something similar to the queen remark.

The author said that was his intention in ADWD, to resolve where things stood between them. There seems to be love between them, and the last chapter of the series seems to indicate that as well (most of the quotes are from the last chapter).

1. He is a slaver, not just once but has a higher than normal knowledge of slavery for a westerosi (e.g how much he knows about unsullied)

2. He is power seeking first he spies for Robert, then Suppports Viserys when he has a dothraki horde, then supports Dany when she becomes more powerful than her brother.

3. He never really grabbed me as a great character maybe his not as well written as others, or maybe it's just me ... theres just something about him I can't like.

Quite likely they would. But Daario's continued to fight for her, even while heavily outnumbered. Brown Ben did the prudent thing, in the eyes of most mercenaries, by changing sides.

Of course, Brown Ben couldn't predict that the Iron Fleet is about to fall on the besiegers.

I think it's very interesting that the disreputable, sleazy, treacherous Daario is the one that stayed loyal to Dany while he salty, down-to-earth, avuncular type is the one who turned on her. Many people in that situation would have been more wary of Brown Ben -- I don't think even Barristan suspected that he would cross over until right before he did. Tyrion though saw through Ben's persona pretty much immediately, just as he saw through Jorah's -- I wonder what will happen if he meets Daario? He might be able to answer some of the questions we have about him!

I always liked Jorah as well. Not necessarily as a match for Daenerys (although after Iain Glen I do see this as viable), but he always struck me as a much more sympathetic and perhaps even honourable character than what some believe him to be.

I'm not sure if he is really all that honorable, but I can see how he might be sympathetic.

Is it necessarily a given though that Jorah is intended to be sympathetic? He's helpful to Dany, but he says and does so many horrible things. He's not Ramsay or Gregor, but he's not Gendry or Jeyne Poole either. I mean, if Martin wanted us to feel sorry for him then he might have left off the scene where he encourages people to sell small children into sex slavery. That's a pretty villainish thing to do.

I always liked Jorah as well. Not necessarily as a match for Daenerys (although after Iain Glen I do see this as viable), but he always struck me as a much more sympathetic and perhaps even honourable character than what some believe him to be.

Like another person suggested, if he had any honor and simply didn't want to die, he should have headed for the wall.

Is it necessarily a given though that Jorah is intended to be sympathetic? He's helpful to Dany, but he says and does so many horrible things. He's not Ramsay or Gregor, but he's not Gendry or Jeyne Poole either. I mean, if Martin wanted us to feel sorry for him then he might have left off the scene where he encourages people to sell small children into sex slavery. That's a pretty villainish thing to do.

agreed

@LeCygne

You didn't reply to my response about the Meereenese Blot article. That, "I would also add that the posters whole point is that the choice represented in Daario by war is the wrong choice for Dany to make as her peace is actually likely to succeed and she throws that away. What does that say about Daario? She wants him, but is he good for her?" If you follow through the posters logic that Daario is trying to lead Dany down a bad path by suggesting things like the luring the slavers into a Red Wedding and killing children; then how are we supposed to see her embrace of him as a good thing? She throws a perfectly good peace away because she indulges in Daarios thinking because she simply feels empowered by making no compromises with her enemies. So the Meereenese Blot articles are really negative about Daarios role in the story. Barristan may think shes in love but its also "a slower poison". That says a lot about the twos relationship.

I don't think you're supposed to withhold thinking "don't do it Dany, hes a baddin" because you're not related to the character.

It wasn't a "perfectly good peace" at all. I was happy when she called for Drogon, I wanted that. That's a good thing. Fire and blood is her identity, that's who she is. However it turns out from here, we're seeing the real Dany, and that's what her story has been about since her first chapter in AGOT, getting to this place, where she is now. The slave trade will end now, I think.

But as others have concluded, and I agree, now that she's fired up, she will play a key role in the war against the Others, the role she was meant to play.

So I see her embracing her identiy as a good thing, and Daario is part of embracing her identity. I think it's cliche to say he's a bad one, therefore he will betray her, that was her fear, that would have been a lousy story if it happened that way. He doesn't write that way. That he's the one who didn't betray her, that he's the one who kept her grounded in who she is, is a great story.

I don't expect characters to be perfect, but I do want to see them be true to who they are. I'd rather see them go out in a blaze of glory than like she said, nibble on dates in silks.

And again, I'm not sure how this makes your case for her supposed romantic destiny with Jorah. She doesn't want him. He betrayed her. He's a "baddin" as you put it, too.

It wasn't a "perfectly good peace" at all. I was happy when she called for Drogon, I wanted that. That's a good thing. Fire and blood is her identity, that's who she is. However it turns out from here, we're seeing the real Dany, and that's what her story has been about since her first chapter in AGOT, getting to this place, where she is now. The slave trade will end now, I think.

But as others have concluded, and I agree, now that she's fired up, she will play a key role in the war against the Others, the role she was meant to play.

So I see her embracing her identiy as a good thing, and Daario is part of embracing her identity. I think it's cliche to say he's a bad one, therefore he will betray her, that was her fear, that would have been a lousy story if it happened that way. He doesn't write that way. That he's the one who didn't betray her, that he's the one who kept her grounded in who she is, is a great story.

I don't expect characters to be perfect, but I do want to see them be true to who they are. I'd rather see them go out in a blaze of glory than like she said, nibble on dates in silks.

And again, I'm not sure how this makes your case for her supposed romantic destiny with Jorah. She doesn't want him. He betrayed her. He's a "baddin" as you put it, too.

Even if he is genuinely in love with her, I certainly don't see Daario as being good for her, from an ethical point of view. In fact, if her lieutenants are Daario, Tyrion, Marwyn, Moqorro, and Victarion, I should think the result will be massacre, pillage, and devastation on a gigantic scale, across both continents.

I admit, it will be fun to read about.

Even if he is genuinely in love with her, I certainly don't see Daario as being good for her, from an ethical point of view. In fact, if her lieutenants are Daario, Tyrion, Marwyn, Moqorro, and Victarion, I should think the result will be massacre, pillage, and devastation on a gigantic scale, across both continents.

The Stallion that Mounts the World everyone.

death before dany?

More like death after her.

Wow, I don't see it quite that bleakly. Maybe she'll kick some Other ass and save some people.

Archived