(Spoilers) Boardwalk Empire: Why must it always be pandemonium?!

Mark Antony

Just saw the finale. Was some emotional stuff with Gillian. A bit dissappointed he had to die though, Nucky had pretty much paid for everything he had done, so I would have preferred an outcome where he lived, although in melancholy. Kind of where he was headed during the whole last 3 episodes. I don't understand the people who say Nucky is uninteresting. He's imo one of the best characters thats been created in television, although he didn't have such a prominent role in season 3 or 4 so maybe that's the issue some people have. This last episode I thought Nucky as a character really shined.

Agree that it was neither good or bad as an episode, but the series as a whole has been great. It should be commended for everyhing it has done for 5 seasons.

It may not reach the absolute top tier of television, but it's pretty close to that, and never got the reputation and recognition that it really deserved.

Just saw the finale. Was some emotional stuff with Gillian. A bit dissappointed he had to die though, Nucky had pretty much paid for everything he had done,

Really? The man was complicit in the rape of children, ruined dozens if not hundreds of lives and has ordered a fair handful of people killed out of pure greed and his punishment was that he should have to retire a bit earlier than he intended

Really? The man was complicit in the rape of children, ruined dozens if not hundreds of lives and has ordered a fair handful of people killed out of pure greed and his punishment was that he should have to retire a bit earlier than he intended

Yeah, and not to mention he had just made more than 2 million (36 million in today's money) in just a few hours by a fraud of the stock market, and probably would die richer than if he just had been focusing on crime instead.

Yeah, bad choice of words from me maybe.

More than deserved I meant that it would be better to see an original ending where he didnt die. Of course he was q bad person, I'm not disputing that. But I also feel the last episode was kind of redemptive too.

Of course you cant wash away all your sins, but if you make an effort it at least shows you regret it. I think Nucky regretted many of the things he did. Eli felt far more cold blooded for example.

Well, I went through a couple days worth of BS to watch the finale.

I watched The Walking Dead Sunday night and was planning on viewing the BWE finale on Monday via On Demand. I stayed off the internet Sunday night to avoid spoilers, ignored texts from my friend (whom has a notorious history of spoiling things), stayed off the internet early Monday, and was listening to the radio whilst driving Monday evening when Mark fucking Madden transitions from talking about the Steelers to blurting out that Tommy shoots Nucky.... Needless to say I was flipping out, and anyone driving past me probably considered calling 911. Tried to watch the finale last night, and the HD version of the episode On Demand kept freezing at 20 minutes in, so I just called it a night.

SO, I just finished it and have mixed feelings about it. Wasn't the best or worst finale I've ever seen but I felt this season wasn't so special from the start.

I agree with the Capone scene with his son. That was a heartbreaker, and it was nice to see how nervous he was in the car before he got out. These two scenes really showed you how human he was.

Gillian was another heartbreaker. The flashback with Nucky leading her to the Commodore was rough. Nucky seemed to be a legit, honorable guy throughout the flashbacks; especially when punching his dad after he beat his mom again. This was the first act along a trail of gray decisions by Nucky methinks. It was pretty gut wrenching to see it actually happen. Nuck made his first selfish decision here.

As for Tommy, I didn't think it was him after the penultimate episode because he just seemed to be a younger version of Nucky, trying to make it in AC. I kinda liked that it was him who killed Nucky after all Nuck had done to his family.

Not the best finale, but certainly nice to see how they ended it. Gonna miss the hell out of Boardwalk. So many great characters passed through during the running of this show.

Well, I went through a couple days worth of BS to watch the finale.

I watched The Walking Dead Sunday night and was planning on viewing the BWE finale on Monday via On Demand. I stayed off the internet Sunday night to avoid spoilers, ignored texts from my friend (whom has a notorious history of spoiling things), stayed off the internet early Monday, and was listening to the radio whilst driving Monday evening when Mark fucking Madden transitions from talking about the Steelers to blurting out that Tommy shoots Nucky.... Needless to say I was flipping out, and anyone driving past me probably considered calling 911. Tried to watch the finale last night, and the HD version of the episode On Demand kept freezing at 20 minutes in, so I just called it a night.

Well, it's your fault for choosing freaking Walking Dead over the Boardwalk Empire series finale :P

I just finished the finale and I agree with some of you that the ending with Tommy shooting Nucky seemed a bit forced, a bit too "tidy" in my opinion. I would have preferred it ending with him just living his life alone.

A couple of side notes/trivia items.

1) I was curious about the young actor that played Tommy and so I looked him up. His name is Travis Tope and apparently he's something of a rising star in Hollywood with several major roles booked. So apparently we'll be seeing more of him.

2) Something in my brain told me to look up the actress that played Mabel and it turns out her name is Maya Kazan, and her IMDB bio says that she's the granddaughter of Elia Kazan, which I thought that was kind of interesting.

The actress that played Mabel is also in The Knick. I just started watching it. Good show.

I thought the guy who played young Nucky was the highlight of the season. The only other thing I've seen him in was Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. Apparently it was his first role.

The actress that played Mabel is also in The Knick. I just started watching it. Good show.

I thought the guy who played young Nucky was the highlight of the season. The only other thing I've seen him in was Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. Apparently it was his first role.

Couldn't agree more.

Yeah phenomenal casting all around for the flashbacks. Even Tommy really looked like Jimmy/Angela imo

I agree - that's what sold me on the theory a few weeks back.

Child Nucky or young Nucky? Child Nucky was in an episode of "blacklist" I was watching this morning

I agree - that's what sold me on the theory a few weeks back.

Child Nucky or young Nucky? Child Nucky was in an episode of "blacklist" I was watching this morning

I was under the impression he meant young deputy Nuck. He was great.

ETA: Sleepy Hollow came out in '99 so I don't think boy Nuck would've been born yet.

My impression was that he did not, I thought he seemed surprised by it and Jonny's retiring. Does anyone else think it's likely that Bugs Moran or whoever was behind the shooting through the windows that almost killed Capone right after Torrio left and then Torrio's attempted assassination?

Maybe I just like this version of Capone too much to be impartial.

I found the finale, much like the entire season, to be good but not great. The series as a whole though has been excellent and while it is not in the same league as The Sopranos or The Wire, it would probably just make my top 5. The show could have done with another season as a number of the stuff in season 5 felt a bit rushed or forced. Loved the flashbacks as they really added depth to Nucky's character. Just think that this should have been done earlier in the series run.

Highlights of the season:

- The flashbacks and performance of young Nucky were superb

- Young Gillian and the build up to the original sin was gut wrenching

- Capone and his son

- Chalky's death scene was very well done

- Tommy killing Nucky did feel a little forced but was poetic as well. Nucky being killed on the same spot were years before he made the decision to betray Gillian and the bullet just beneath the left eye reminiscent of Jimmy's death scene.

ETA. On a final note: Eli is like a fucking cockroach. How he made it to the end I will never know. He should have been killed along with Van Alden.

Archived