January 2015 Reading Thread

AncalagonTheBlack

Can't quote at the moment. Re: Wolf Hall, there's a TV drama coming out soon in the UK, probably BBC. I think I'll check it out.

Tore through Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver today, almost finished. It's very Gillian Flynn, though not quite as good. The writing is a little sloppy, and the chapters and narrator aren't always clear, but I'll chalk most of that up to it being an ARC. I hope Oliver's editor is getting on to it ahead of publication.

Finished the year with Martin Lawrence's Prince of Thorns and King of Thorns and now onto the final book of the Broken Empire Trilogy...Emperor of Thorns.

I didn't actually think I would end up enjoying this trilogy as much as I have, given the infamous and aptly hideous nature of the main character Jorg.

Damn, Gina!

I finishes Pillars of the Earth. Could have been great, if it had any characters with any depth or nuance. Follet also was a bit hamfisted with the foreshadowing and politicking. I was really excited to read this, figured it could have been a historical fiction version of 100 Years of Solitude in the twelfth century, but instead it was a soap opera of mediocrity.

The villains were so cartoonish that I was unable to suspend my disbelief.

I did read the two tie-in novels (there's a second called Promises Broken) in case they provided some closure missing from the TV series because of its premature cancellation. I wasn't expecting much from the writing but it was annoying that the authors of the two books apparently couldn't agree on which way the plot should go - there are some characters whose motivation in the second book is the exact opposite of their motivation in the first. The second book does provide some more information about what happens with Tom Baldwin and does resolve some plotlines but despite the odd interesting scene it often felt like bad fanfic.

I tried Promises Broken but quickly gave up on it because, as you suggested, the second author's writing style was lower in quality. Also, I thought that the first book fully resolved the Tom Baldwin promicin shot issue. I figured since that was the only reason I was reading the tie-ins, I no longer needed to continue reading. Now it seems I had better pick it up again. Thanks for the heads up.

I finished The Light Between Oceans. Really enjoyed it, although the writing at times tripped me up and I'm not sure I liked any of the main characters.

Now reading The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers. I picked up his first Zamonia book (The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear) at a bookstore with a rather limited selection when I was in college, and it ended up being a great read (I've even re-read it), so I decided to grab this when I saw it in my local SFF bookstore the other day.

I am a few pages from finishing The lion, the witch and the wardrobe, it's pretty boring tbh. It's too much "Oh Aslan is so wonderful and gracious but at the same time stern and fearsome and bla bla bla...". I guess I'm just not a Narnia-fan, maybe I'm too old, whatever the reason is C.S. Lewis world has a tendency to bore me. It's too sentimental. But I'm gonna keep reading the series and see what happens. :) Next up: The horse and his boy! Keeping my hopes up!

After basically reading nothing over the Christmas break, I read Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell. A very good book - highly recommended to anyone who likes The Lies of Locke Lamora or basically anyone who wants a good old swashbuckling adventure.

Now reading The Fountains of Paradise.

After basically reading nothing over the Christmas break, I read Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell. A very good book - highly recommended to anyone who likes The Lies of Locke Lamora or basically anyone who wants a good old swashbuckling adventure.

N.

Thank you! Just bought it on the kindle and didn't know what to think about it.

Edit: finished City of Stairs. What an enjoyable read! The world was great and the characters the same(I didn't get why Sigrud is so well liked though).

Archived