Movies and TV shows that lived up to your imagination. Or didn't.

Fragile Bird

I liked her Galadriel right up until the freak out. The freak out ruined it for me.

Well, that is universally disliked thing... But, even with that, and I agree it was a misstep, Blanchett's Galadriel is thoroughly beautifully done. She did an amazing job. I can't remember when someone managed to be so out-of-this-world.

Percy Jackson. Will never get over that. I loved those books so much and that movie was an absolute horror. Couldn't even finish it. There's another one out but I'm avoiding it for now..

Harry Potter was pretty great. LOTR too. I love game of thrones, most of the casting is exceedingly well done. The plot changes are the downside. Most make sense, I suppose, given that they really have to cut some things out, but still..

I actually didn't like Smaug that much, the more I think about it, they REALLY out did him tbh. He was just...TOO BIG and swimming in treasure??? Nooooo. I loved imagining him nestled on top of a big mound of it not bloody drowning in it

I hated everything about the new Smaug's from his appearance to his voice.

I hated everything about the new Smaug's from his appearance to his voice.

I was proper excited about Smaug as well. Hobbit was one of my all time favourite childhood books and probably started me on my childhood and teenage obsession with dragons (used to draw them all the time and collected dragon ornaments for yrs) but i was so disappointed with him on screen

See I thought Smaug looked brilliant, because I always imagined him as this huge, magnificent terrifying creature. So for me, his appearance worked. I agree with Theda that I wanted him perched on his treasure though, like this: http://www.thelandofshadow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/the-hobbit.jpg

Everything else about him was a disappointment though, especially his incompetence when it comes to fighting a handful of dwarves and a hobbit...

I was proper excited about Smaug as well. Hobbit was one of my all time favourite childhood books and probably started me on my childhood and teenage obsession with dragons (used to draw them all the time and collected dragon ornaments for yrs) but i was so disappointed with him on screen

Bilbo and Smaug's interaction in the book and cartoon is my favorite of booth. Benedict Cumberbatch is a fine actor but Richard Boone was far superior in the role. And the scene itself was too long.

The movie for TFIOS completely surpassed my expectations of it, even if there were a few subtle changes from the book

I was under pressure to read ASOIAF for a couple of years before I actually submitted, because I thought it would be a load of legal rubbish, though obviously I am delighted I gave in. I've still yet to watch the TV show though so I have that to look forward to

Also reading The Host I was pleasantly surprised (though I hear the movie is atrocious). I never expected Stephanie Meyer to write a good book

Everything else about him was a disappointment though, especially his incompetence when it comes to fighting a handful of dwarves and a hobbit...

Well, in poor Smaug's defense, no one could have anticipated a guy jamming a couple pieces of a broken bow into some posts and, using his son's shoulder to aim and simultaneously just happening to spot your one weakness, piercing your heart with an impossibly big, heavy, iron arrow! :ack: :P

I guess I would have liked Smaug a lot more if he was perched on the treasure, that scene wasn't so ludicrous and drawn out. I just hated the image of him swimming in THAT MUCH treasure, looked stupid to me. I thought Benedict Cumberbatch was fine tho!!! And i did like his interaction with bilbo but it would have looked so much better if it was just a big mountain of treasure and not a fckin ocean of it

I guess I would have liked Smaug a lot more if he was perched on the treasure, that scene wasn't so ludicrous and drawn out. I just hated the image of him swimming in THAT MUCH treasure, looked stupid to me. I thought Benedict Cumberbatch was fine tho!!! And i did like his interaction with bilbo but it would have looked so much better if it was just a big mountain of treasure and not a fckin ocean of it

I was fine with the amount of treasure. I grew up with the Rankin and Bass cartoon so I guessing I'm partial to Richard Boone. One three hour movie could have told the story. Spending nine hours to cover two hundred + pages seemed like overkill.

Yeah, that much treasure was a bit OTT I guess. Certainly doesn't make sense given how small Dale is, which brings to light another nitpick - Why isn't a town called Dale IN A DALE??? xD

The size of the treasure in Hobbit 2: Morgul Boogaloo is pretty much a microcosm of all the problems in the Hobbit films. Basically, bigger Bigger BIGGER and more More MORE. I think it was pretty stupid but very far down on the list of stupid things in those movies.

That said I really liked Benedict Cucumberpatch in the role and Smaug was one of the few highlights of the film, aside from that silly dwarf chase scene.

Well, in poor Smaug's defense, no one could have anticipated a guy jamming a couple pieces of a broken bow into some posts and, using his son's shoulder to aim and simultaneously just happening to spot your one weakness, piercing your heart with an impossibly big, heavy, iron arrow! :ack: :P

I was more referring to the scene at the lonely mountain where he chases the Dwarves through the halls. Especially the ridiculous but where he has Thorin right in front of his mouth, and conveniently forgets that he can breathe fire. I should stop now, I'll only get myself in a tizzy and need to sit down.

That's why ai love the book cover I linked, it's influenced how I imagine that scene I think (that is the cover on my copy of the book)

Smaug and Bilbo were the best part of the Hobbit movies.

The dwarves had their moments, but Jackson seemed intent on turning them into comic relief/video game characters.

The elves were laughable.

However, I won't crow about the book being better, because despite its status as a 'children's novel', it's also full of plot holes and terrible characterization (we don't even learn most of the Dwarves' names, the Dwarves in general are horrible and selfish people, and Gandalf disappears without a trace and reappears as befits the story and with no explanation). I don't understand why people are so forgiving of these deficits if they are written for 'kids' than if they were written for 'adults', but so it goes.

I could probably keep going forever with a list like this, but this is from the top of my head (and inspired by the posts in this thread):

Exceeded my expectations:

Once Upon a Time in the West

Black Sails season two

Under the Skin

Calvary

Whiplash

Taxi Driver

Groundhog Day

Inside Llewyn Davis

Cross of Iron

Vikings season two

Hannibal season two

GoT season one

Rome season one

Mishima: A life in four chapters

Cowboy Bebop

Attack on Titan

(Total) disappointments:

The Hobbit Trilogy

Interstellar

Pretty much every HP film (except 1, 2 and 7). I especially hate 3 and 6. 6 because it was terrible and 3 because of all the consistency errors and the complete screw-up of the monsters (the dementors and werewolf were laughable). I also never got behind Gary Oldman as Sirius (strange, because I love Oldman and Sirius).

Every season of GoT, with the exception of season one. Season one suffered from a lack of budget (and the start of sexposition), but overall it was just so strong. I agreed with pretty much every adaptation choice (Even removing the ToJ, hopefully for a later Bran vision and the creation of Ros) and pretty much every scene they invented was great (Especially Tywin's introduction). I also though the cast was at its absolute strongest (especially Sean Bean and Harry Lloyd).

P&P 1995. Give me the Joe Wright movie every day of the week and twice on sunday. The film might not be as good of an adaptation, but it's just so much more engaging

Maleficent

GotG

The Last Airbender

Archived