Police abuse thread 4: end police unions?

Ser Scot A Ellison

Arakan,

How would you propose we begin to address the problem of police abuse of power?

It will probably be difficult to address the police abuse of power without addressing the relatively high levels of violence in US culture. Because otherwise the police will always have 'reasonable caution' to hide behind.

It will probably be difficult to address the police abuse of power without addressing the relatively high levels of violence in US culture. Because otherwise the police will always have 'reasonable caution' to hide behind.

Actually we have some fairly effective ways of dealing with this already that have already been mentioned in this thread..

Body cameras, civilian oversight, etc...

All things that police unions oppose to varying degrees.

Well, not much to say other than more fuel to the fire!

The San Bernardino County sheriff has ordered an internal investigation after a video surfaced that appears to show sheriff's deputies beating a man in California after he attempted to flee on horseback.

It appears that if one resists the police in any way they will be extremely lucky to come through it with "just" a beating. Sickening.

Yep.

Also, Walter Scott was not a criminal. We may differ on Michael Brown or Eric Garner (although neither of their crimes justified even time in jail, much less the death penalty), but Walter Scott didn't do anything wrong in the first place.

I think it really is a mistake to talk about these cases in terms of crime and punishment. At best, it's a well-intentioned mistake by liberals. At worst, it's a deliberate attempt by conservatives to marginalize and discredit the victims and derail the conversation from the acceptable limits of the use of force by police officers.

Was Walter Scott a criminal? Well, arguably he was. At a minimum, he fled the police, so he was probably guilty of evading arrest and/or obstruction of justice, which are crimes.

Did Michael Brown and Eric Garner receive the "death penalty"? No, the death penalty is a sentence imposed by the criminal Court after a trial and conviction.

But these things are largely beside the point. The issue that we're dealing with is what level of force can the police use against the citizenry, and why they seem to be so willing and able to use lethal levels of force that may not be justified. It's a mistake to let that conversation get derailed by talk of crime and punishment.

Has this one been talked about here?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/12/us/tulsa-police-shooting-video/

When they set up the undercover sting, police wanted evidence on camera. But when they recorded the operation targeting Harris earlier this month, cameras continued to roll as the suspect ran, and as he was fatally shot.

The Tulsa County Sheriff's Office released the video on Friday. The shooting was an apparent accident, it has said.

In the last minutes of the video, Harris lies on the pavement with police on top of him. An officer calls for a Taser, but in place of an electric clicking sound, a gunshot rings out.

A voice can be heard saying, "Oh! I shot him! I'm sorry!" Another officer screams out, "He shot him! He shot him!"

Harris, who is bleeding, calls out, too. He's losing his breath, he says. An officer yells back at him.

"You f**king ran! Shut the f**k up!" he yells. "F**k your breath," he said.

Clark defended the officer's language, saying the deputy experienced auditory exclusion, never heard the gunshot and thought the suspect was out of breath from running. The language has no bearing on whether the shooting was justified, Clark said.

As if the shooting wasn't bad enough (of an unarmed suspect, of course) they chalk up the 'Fuck your breath" line to the poor old innocent cop thinking that the suspect was simply out of breath because he didn't hear the gunshot that happened right next to him. Wow. Dirty, dirty lies.

I think it really is a mistake to talk about these cases in terms of crime and punishment. At best, it's a well-intentioned mistake by liberals. At worst, it's a deliberate attempt by conservatives to marginalize and discredit the victims and derail the conversation from the acceptable limits of the use of force by police officers.

Was Walter Scott a criminal? Well, arguably he was. At a minimum, he fled the police, so he was probably guilty of evading arrest and/or obstruction of justice, which are crimes.

Did Michael Brown and Eric Garner receive the "death penalty"? No, the death penalty is a sentence imposed by the criminal Court after a trial and conviction.

But these things are largely beside the point. The issue that we're dealing with is what level of force can the police use against the citizenry, and why they seem to be so willing and able to use lethal levels of force that may not be justified. It's a mistake to let that conversation get derailed by talk of crime and punishment.

It should be beside the point but it's not because it is brought up to discredit the victims and it works and, sadly, must be addressed.

I can't even really tell what's happening there except a lot of dumbasses being dumbasses.

Honestly, an amazing amount of police restraint, one guy grabbing police side arm, some gigantic tweakers, and a person killed.

Lots to unpack, pretty sure this was an example of a 'good shooting' though.

We watched it at the station last night, and I though I would share it on this tread.

There was nothing to arrest Scott for. The police had his vehicle registration number, so they could always identify him and send him a letter with the fine enclosed. So neither did he resist arrest (because an arrest was unwarranted) nor was he obstructing justice, because the justice in question could be doled out easily anyway. Making running away from the police a crime in and of itself is already crazy, from this European's perspective.

We also don't know the reason Scott ran. If the police officer said something like "I will kill you" to Scott while interacting with him, Scott would imo be more than justified in trying to run.

In essence, I just think police should refrain from using force in excess of the punishment their captive/fugitive is about to suffer for what they did wrong. Detaining people for days for a broken car light would be such an excess, as would be physical force of any kind. Similarly, killing somebody who didn't pose an immediate lethal threat to people seems irresponsible as well. There must be ways to have police officers deescalate such situations, not escalate them. Having "running from the police" as a separate crime on the books instead of e.g. assault for attacking a police officer for severe cases just gives police officers more, not less, incentive to abuse their powers.

Honestly, an amazing amount of police restraint, one guy grabbing police side arm, some gigantic tweakers, and a person killed.

We watched it at the station last night, and I though I would share it on this tread.

I hope the guy who kept yelling 'stop being nazis' was the one that got killed. he was annoying.

I hope the guy who kept yelling 'stop being nazis' was the one that got killed. he was annoying.

They apparently shot the guy who grabbed the cop who is on the ground's gun and shot him in the leg with it. Seems fine to me.

That was total mayhem. I'm not a fan of cops at all but these guys showed maybe a little too much restraint. Not saying they should've pulled their guns out immediately but the situation shouldn't have gotten that crazy.

Archived