Flight etiquette question

Ser Scot A Ellison

Nobody gets the armrest, since there aren't enough for every arm. Keep your damn elbows within your own seat space. Think of them not as armrests, but Berlin Wall before the unification. 

I just offer the passengers next to me some "antibiotics" (okay they're actually smarties) and say "better safe than sorry, the doctors haven't figured out WHAT I've got.".

Get the whole.row to mysel everytime. More subtle approach is to keep grabbing the barf bag and.breathing heavily into it before takeoff. No one will encroach.

Nobody gets the armrest, since there aren't enough for every arm. Keep your damn elbows within your own seat space. Think of them not as armrests, but Berlin Wall before the unification. 

The people on the East should be trying to cross them as hard as they can?

Schrodinger's solution: The armrest belongs to you and your neighbor at the same time

Multiverse solution: There exists a universe where both armrests belong to you, or none belong to you, or one belongs to you, or where you are tied up in a burlap and placed in the cargo hold with all other pieces of human luggage, so you should count your first world blessings

Evolutionary biology solution: The armrest belongs to the one with the fittest throwing elbows

Scandinavian solution: The armrests belong to everyone, even though you worked hard to earn that middle seat in coach.

Emily Post solution: Cross your legs and sit upright, and always use the armrest to the left of you

Donald Trump solution: I built this airline, and it has the best armrests in the world.

Eating a big breakfast before a morning flight and ordering coffee will get you in more trouble with me than hogging armrests.  Nearly died of methane poisoning on the way out here from New Orleans.  Jesus people.  Gas expands when pressure drops.

Is it ever acceptable to book your children next to strangers on the opposite end of the plane from you? I'm boarding in half an hour and need to know if I should try to reassign our seats. ;)

Your children are old enough and well behaved enough to where this should not be a problem. Only you can judge if your child is old enough to be alone and not bug their seat mate.

I did have a small moment of freaking out when I thought I'd lost my son in Madrid, one time, when there were two exits and I was in business and he was in coach, but they met up at a central point, where I waited.

You'll be fine on a one-exit domestic flight.

Well, I'd much rather have a reasonably well behaved 8+ year old child next to me than a larger than average adult (especially if the child has headphones).  Or even an average sized adult.  As long as they aren't pukey.

Live and learn.
I always assumed the armrests where not for the resting of ones arms, but to simply divide space between strangers. Travelling with friends or family one would lift them up.
In fact, whenever a stranger would place their arm on the 'armrest' it would upset me to have their elbow pointing at me, all angle like and... Triangle shaped, almost.
But it never ruined my flight.

Archived