May 2015 Reads

mashiara

Last night I finished Some of the Best from Tor.com :2014, a short story anthology. I was only reading it when I had time on my way to work, it took me a long time. Mixed feelings about it. Some of the stories were great, some were Ok, a couple were really boring.

I'm now a third of the way into Written in Red by Ann Bishop and enjoying it.

What are you guys reading this month? Tell us what you enjoyed, what you liked and what you hated, what you feel is a waste of reading time and what you would recommend to everyone here.

Oh, and :commie: :commie: :commie: for May Day!

This is probably the most appropriate place to ask as whichever I choose will be read this month, but for my Kindle First this month there are two books I actually like the sound of. One of them apparently comes from an already established author called Michael Wallace, and I was wondering whether anyone had read any of his work (I believe the series is called The Righteous) before and can tell me whether he is any good? The last Kindle first book I downloaded sounded alright too, but the quality was frankly laughable and I put it down after three chapters. So I'm trying to make a more informed choice this time.

Anyway, in the meantime I am pressing on with Custard Tarts and Broken Hearts, which is a bit dull, and not the best book I've read. I mostly picked it up because of the name, and because it was free (a friend was moving out of their flat and didn't want to take their books with them)

Hobbitsess, my precious..... I'm reading LOTR again. I think I first read it when I was about 10. My sister got the boxed set for Christmas (that and Judy Blume) I read both after she was done with them. I can't remember the books I got, but Tolkien and Judy Blume both sure did make an impression!

Hobbitsess, my precious..... I'm reading LOTR again. I think I first read it when I was about 10. My sister got the boxed set for Christmas (that and Judy Blume) I read both after she was done with them. I can't remember the books I got, but Tolkien and Judy Blume both sure did make an impression!

Oh, yes, I have been building up for a massive LOTR-reread for a while now, adding one more book to the collection from time to time. I have only read the LOTR-trilogy + The Hobbit before, and for my next Tolkien-read I will read all four of those + silmarillion + the children of hurin + J.R.R. Tolkien - A Biography, by Humphrey Carpenter.

When will I get to this middle earth-marathon? I have no idea, probably some time next winter haha.

Oh, yes, I have been building up for a massive LOTR-reread for a while now, adding one more book to the collection from time to time. I have only read the LOTR-trilogy + The Hobbit before, and for my next Tolkien-read I will read all four of those + silmarillion + the children of hurin + J.R.R. Tolkien - A Biography, by Humphrey Carpenter.

When will I get to this middle earth-marathon? I have no idea, probably some time next winter haha.

Hah I've been doing the same thing except I have a few history of middle earth books thrown In There.

I read Lucius Shepard's final novel, Beautiful Blood. It was okay, but he wrote better novels (A Handbook for American Prayer, Viator, and Floater) that I would recommend before it. It is set in the world of his Dragon Griaule stories - if anyone here hasn't read the collection that was released a few years ago of the novellas he wrote, I totally recommend it to you. Excellent stuff. Works as a mosiac novel more than a collection.

Started my first re-read of A Game of Thrones, now that I have all this information from future books and other resources I noticing a lot of things that I didn't think was important earlier before or thought was just "window dressing".

I'm reading All the Light We Cannot See and it's so, so, good, but fairly bleak. I'm going to need to eat a gigantic chocolate bar after I finish it; it's like a dementor sucking the life out of me.

I finished The Palace Job by an indie author, Patrick Weekes. The humour felt forced to me or maybe my nasty head cold is making me overly negative.

Now reading a nonfiction book, Beyond the Blue Horizon. It is about the very early Mariners and how they navigated the world's oceans before compasses and other such devices.

You know, I was thinking about it. I've only read LOTR and the Hobbit in Greek, and that was back when I was a teenager. Part of me feels like I should take the time and reread the books in their original language. Something to consider.

I finished Written In Red by Anne Bishop very quickly and enjoyed it a lot. A different take on vampires and werewolves and other scary creatures, where the monsters are really monsters. I'm now reading hte second one in the series, Murder of Crows.

I also downloaded The End is Nigh (Apocalypse Triptych 1), a new anthology, edited by John Joseph Adams, for my commute.

Finished The Way of Kings Part 1 (UK edition) and I must say I really enjoyed this book! There wasn't any boring part that made me want to put the book down. Both characters and the world are pretty interesting and well defined. On the down side, I never spent time thinking or theorizing about the book, I only read when I could and not because the story fully captivated me.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to read part 2 or reread LotR

I really enjoyed Way of Kings when I read it, but it is very one dimensional.

I started up book 2 of the Long Price Quartet. The first one wasn't all that great, but I'll give the 2nd one a chance before I move on to The Lies of Locke Lamora and then I think some Homer after that.

I started up book 2 of the Long Price Quartet. The first one wasn't all that great, but I'll give the 2nd one a chance before I move on to The Lies of Locke Lamora and then I think some Homer after that.

If you're not enjoying it, I would still give the third one a chance. For me, personally, it was by far the best. It's pretty rare that a book can shock me, but the end of that one did.

On the positive reading side of things I'm currently reading Lord John & the Private Matter by Diana Gabaldon & Having a re-read of Fellowship of The Ring.

On the negative side, I thought - after going to see the movie - I'd give Far from the Madding Crowd a go. The last time I read it was for my higher English way back in 1998 - I didn't like it at the time, but thought that 17 years would have mellowed me a bit on it, looking at it as an adult rather than a teenager.

I was wrong. I dislike it as much at 33 as I did at 16. Didn't even make it halfway through.

Archived