Small Questions v.10103

Jon Weirgaryen

Just for the record and if anyone cares:

Randyll Tarly actually talks about Sam not giving him a reason to disown him when he forces him into the Night's Watch, so a lord is actually entitled to disown his eldest son and heir under certain conditions. We don't know what those are, though my guess is that treason, debauchery, and a generally criminal lifestyle would be among those.

Any thoughts on that?

Randyll Tarly actually talks about Sam not giving him a reason to disown him when he forces him into the Night's Watch, so a lord is actually entitled to disown his eldest son and heir under certain conditions. We don't know what those are, though my guess is that treason, debauchery, and a generally criminal lifestyle would be among those.

Any thoughts on that?

A situation like Tyrion, whether because he was a dwarf or after he married a commoner without permission.

Any thoughts on that?

Hmm.. Walder Frey seems to suggest that you can name a new heir, though, of course, if there is no direct reason to do so, it most likely will lead to trouble, either upon naming the new heir, or upon the Lord's death, causing battle between the former heir and the new heir. Therefore, I assume, that is usually not done.  It might also not reflect good on your House in general, which would be something men like Randyll and Tywin want to prevent.

As to the acceptable reasons for disowning an heir, besides the reasons you mention, not only a marriage to a commoner, but any marriage that had not been sanctioned by the ruling Lord would be a reason for disinheriting.. I seem to recall reading an SSM about that somewhere. Perhaps even refusing your Lord's orders (whether the Lord in question is the father, grandfather, or brother of the heir in question). 

I found this SSM, but that states nothing about reasons to disinherit, only about inheritance in general, unfortunately. 

The reasons I cited were just ideas had at the top of my head, but it seems quite clear that treason against the king or the lord in question would make the heir unworthy of inheriting the title. Else the society would actually encourage sons to kill their fathers. Being a dwarf doesn't seem to be a sufficient enough reason just as being fat and unmanly isn't. But then, Lord Randyll isn't a great lord, and if Sam somehow won the favor of Lord Tyrell or the king Randyll would face trouble disinheriting him

The Tyrion case isn't so interesting since Tywin never even acknowledged Tyrion as his heir. Else he most likely could have disinherited Tyrion by not annulling the Tysha marriage and forcing him to become one of his crofters on the land of Tysha's family. But then, Tywin couldn't apparently not suffer the humiliation of his son marrying so low.

Other thing: I see the wiki lists Alia of Braavos as female. Is that confirmed anywhere? The text in AGoT is clear. In Westeros, Alia sounds female, but Valyrian names are tricky, right?

This is a topic I see pop up every now and again but has never been obvious to me in the books so far.

Is there any textural evidence that Sansa is a warg? This includes either birds, Lady (if she is not dead (secret Targ dog?)), or in to people? I know it is hard to warg a human and it is considered an abomination to do so (BRAN!), but she may not know of this ability and/or how to control it.

This is a topic I see pop up every now and again but has never been obvious to me in the books so far.

Is there any textural evidence that Sansa is a warg? This includes either birds, Lady (if she is not dead (secret Targ dog?)), or in to people? I know it is hard to warg a human and it is considered an abomination to do so (BRAN!), but she may not know of this ability and/or how to control it.

Well she did get a direwolf just like her other warg siblings so that's evidence. Other than getting Lady we don't see her exhibit any warging skills, tho some  have writen about Sansa showing signs. 

Even tho Lady is dead she's still a warg though so there is also still time for her to show some warging in the last books. 

Other thing: I see the wiki lists Alia of Braavos as female. Is that confirmed anywhere? The text in AGoT is clear. In Westeros, Alia sounds female, but Valyrian names are tricky, right?

Alia is not specifically mentioned as "she" or "her", but it is Ser Rodrik who states Alia of Braavos is his favorite singer, and immediately after that, we get this

“I might have a copper or two, but I’d sooner toss it down a well than pay for your howling,” Ser Rodrik groused. His opinion of singers was well known; music was a lovely thing for girls, but he could not comprehend why any healthy boy would fill his hand with a harp when he might have had a sword.

So perhaps it would be a bit odd if a man who doesn't understand how any boy would choose a career as singer over a career as knight, would name a man his favorite singer.

It's nothing conclusive, but the odds, imo, are currently in favor of Alia being a woman, and not a man.

It would make more sense that Alia was a female name.. Making Alios the male form, as we come across in Volantis

I'm not sure there is anything in the text exactly, but considering how well behaved Lady was there must have at least been the beginning of some unconscious warging going on.  She also has the dream of running with Lady after she dies which makes me think perhaps she had them of running as Lady when Lady was alive.

Not from the books, but she definitely is:

Are all the Stark children wargs/skin changers with their wolves?

To a greater or lesser degree, yes, but the amount of control varies widely.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Quite_a_Few_Questions

"I don't know if I want to get into genetics - this is fantasy, not scifi" He replied. "I don't think this is necessarily a 'Stark' ability, though all the children have it to one extent or another. They also realize it to one extent or another. Arya doesn't realize she has it, she keeps thinking she has these weird dreams, and of course Bran is much further along". 

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1260

Considering that Willas and Oberyn communicated via letter it is difficult imagine that Mace wouldn't know. The letters would be sent via raven, and the maester of Highgarden would receive them. Willas most likely doesn't have his own maester/rookery.

Has anybody ever asked who the hell Ser Hugh of the Vale actually was? I mean, he apparently was a virtual nobody but somehow he became the squire of the Hand of the King and Lord of the Vale. That doesn't make much sense at all.

In light of his crescent moon sigil and the fact that he supposedly only has a mother in the Vale my guess best would be that he was an unrecognized bastard of either Jon Arryn himself or of his late nephew, Elbert Arryn (assuming Hugh's age permits that he was fathered prior to Elbert's death).

Jon may have been unwilling to acknowledge a bastard for Lysa's sake, especially in light of the fact that their marriage seemed cursed, and if Elbert was the father then things might not have been conclusive (i.e. Hugh could only have been born after Elbert died).

I'm pretty sure George never really thought about any of that back then but TWoIaF gave us hints that nobles are not really obliged to recognize all their bastards, especially if they are fathered on commoners (the best example would be Addam and Alyn of Hull who most likely would never have risen to fame or prominence if Jace hadn't put out his call for dragonseeds).

Has anybody ever asked who the hell Ser Hugh of the Vale actually was? I mean, he apparently was a virtual nobody but somehow he became the squire of the Hand of the King and Lord of the Vale. That doesn't make much sense at all.

I know this doesn't answer your question; but why does bolded make no sense at all? Alyn was a virtual nobody - yet he was Hand's captain of the guard and right-hand man after Jory's death. Petyr also was a virtual nobody (most minor of minor lords), yet he ended up as Master of Coin thanks to Jon's and Lysa's influence. Doesn't mean he is Jon's bastard.

What did Oberyn Martell do in Roberts Rebellion? I haven't heard a whisper, which i find surprising for such a well known warrior?

Why isn't there a  Garlan Tyrell appreciation thread? Having a reread and he's such an amazing guy..Praying for a POV.

What the hell has Leyton Hightower been doing in the Hightower for the last decade??

What did Oberyn Martell do in Roberts Rebellion? I haven't heard a whisper, which i find surprising for such a well known warrior?

So Spake Martin

[Where was Oberyn Martell during the rebellion?]

Good question. Offhand, I don't recall the answer. Maybe in Dorne, maybe across the narrow sea with a sellsword company. I'd have to check my notes to be certain.

I'm not sure there is anything in the text exactly, but considering how well behaved Lady was there must have at least been the beginning of some unconscious warging going on.  She also has the dream of running with Lady after she dies which makes me think perhaps she had them of running as Lady when Lady was alive.

These are both great answers. Thank you! I guess for me it is still a wait and see kinda thing. I think this quote leaves it open for just that:

"Are all the Stark children wargs/skin changers with their wolves?

To a greater or lesser degree, yes, but the amount of control varies widely."

Archived