Small Questions v.10103

Jon Weirgaryen

Since when has Mel assumptions ever turned out to be right? :rolleyes:

The problem isn't what she sees.. The issue is how she interprets it. She saw a grey girl on a dying horse . Then surely, we can expect that there is something going on with a grey girl on a dying horse. But she interpreted it be be Arya, and in that, she was wrong.

I do sometimes wonder if it is Jon that Bloodraven is interested in, perhaps even more so than Bran.  If you assume that Bloodraven sent the direwolves.....as you say, it is Jon - and not Bran - that ends up with the direwolf that is essentially the embodiment of Bloodraven himself.  Ghost has white fur/skin and red eyes, as Bloodraven did.  Like Bloodraven, Jon has had thoughts about something being for the greater good, that something is more important that his individual honor; both were Lord Commander of the Night's Watch; both (if R+L=J) were half Targaryen and half a family that worships the Old Gods. Maybe Bloodraven sees part of himself in Jon?

I sometimes wonder if BR is preparing to warg into Jon in a second life, with Bran (unwittingly I'm sure) somehow assisting.  Like BR, Jon is half-Targaryen, with the other half from a family rich in First Men heritage, and both Lyanna and Rhaegar were descended from Blackwoods 3 generations down.  Also, Jon ended up with the albino wolf.  Perhaps (assuming that BR sent the wolves somehow) because BR intended something special in regards to Jon?

Anywho, this is more creepy idea than theory.

Big thanx to you guys for sticking with me in this. That's why I really love this forum :D

Here's to Winds :cheers:

I know this is fantasy, but anyway -

How did dany's dragon eggs hatch exactly? Was it MMD's magic or Was it becoz of her death? Or something else?

If you follow Daenerys's dream you can see that The Dragon was ready to be reborn into the world. Apparently, the maegi was the required blood sacrifice. But perhaps Drogo was too, and maybe even Rhaego. In fact, I suspect Rhaego was the necessary element. 

If you follow Daenerys's dream you can see that The Dragon was ready to be reborn into the world. Apparently, the maegi was the required blood sacrifice. But perhaps Drogo was too, and maybe even Rhaego. In fact, I suspect Rhaego was the necessary element. 

Maybe, 3 of them for 3 dragons.... :dunno:

But the question remains - what was so special about them that their sacrifices hatched the dragon eggs? Could be the sacrifice along with MMD's magic hatched the eggs...

How old is Mel?

From her only chapter: 

Melisandre had practiced her art for years beyond count, and she had paid the price.

So she's either considerably older than she looks, or really bad at counting.  

Maybe, 3 of them for 3 dragons.... :dunno:

But the question remains - what was so special about them that their sacrifices hatched the dragon eggs? Could be the sacrifice along with MMD's magic hatched the eggs...

No, it was Dany, and only Dany.  It really doesn't matter if you don't like her, she still hatched the eggs.  Even if you didn't get that from the books GRRM confirmed it.  and BTW the eggs were not in the tent when MMD performed the spell on Drago, Dany and Drago had separate tents, the magic was performed in Dragos' the eggs were in Danys.

MUSH doesn't have any hints of Rhaena's six Hightower daughters. What do you think, does it mean we will nefver find what happened to them, they all were dead/silent sisters or MUSH to be updated in the future?

A mixture of those. The MUSH does not contain all WB info, what happened to Rhaena's daughters might not be worked out until Fire and Blood, and even then, we might not find out much detail about all six of them.

No, it was Dany, and only Dany.  It really doesn't matter if you don't like her, she still hatched the eggs.  Even if you didn't get that from the books GRRM confirmed it.  and BTW the eggs were not in the tent when MMD performed the spell on Drago, Dany and Drago had separate tents, the magic was performed in Dragos' the eggs were in Danys.

Meh..., I don't hate her and nor do I like her. Its just hard to believe Dany alone was able to hatch the eggs without any help, say like, Drogo's sacrifice, Rhaego's sacrifice or MMD's magic.

BTW, can you provide the link for the SSM in which George confirmed it was all Dany, becoz I haven't read anything like that? 

I've always pronounced it E-LIE-YA. I feel like mostly because of the Mountain vs the Viper fight, when Oberyn is running/flying through the air to stab Ser Gregor. 

Before the show, I pronounced it ee-LYE-ya.  Now, I pronounce it EH-lee-ya.  :dunno:

Thank you both!

BTW, can you provide the link for the SSM in which George confirmed it was all Dany, becoz I haven't read anything like that? 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=49161

The whole point of the scene in A Game of Thrones where Daenerys hatches the dragons is that she makes the magic up as she goes along; she is someone who really might do anything. I wanted magic to be something barely under control and half instinctive--not the John W. Campbell version with magic as the science and technology of other sorts of world, that works by simple and understandable rules. Nor precise words and series of passes that you forget when you have done them and have to learn again, as in Vance's Dying Earth.

Don't know if this is the right place to ask. It's not really important, just something that stuck out to me on a reread. 

Why Robert's name is Robert?

I mean almost all the names in ASOIAF are made up or at least differing from real world names by a letter. Arya is a real world name (or is it Aria?), but it's not that common. Robert's own brothers are named Stannis and Renly, while he (and Sweetrobin named after him) is simply Robert. Is there any particular reason or GRRM just likes the name?

Don't know if this is the right place to ask. It's not really important, just something that stuck out to me on a reread. 

Why Robert's name is Robert?

I mean almost all the names in ASOIAF are made up or at least differing from real world names by a letter. Arya is a real world name (or is it Aria?), but it's not that common. Robert's own brothers are named Stannis and Renly, while he (and Sweetrobin named after him) is simply Robert. Is there any particular reason or GRRM just likes the name?

I think the names are meant to sound medieval, the name Robert certainly existed in that timeframe, especially in Scotland. It's certainly not the only (relatively) common name from the real world of varying importance in the books, there's also Andrew, Arthur, Barbara, Becca, Ben, Beth, Bethany, Brandon, Bryan, Clarence, Colin, Dale, Desmond, Duncan, Eleanor, Emma. And that's only going down to E.

I think the names are meant to sound medieval, the name Robert certainly existed in that timeframe, especially in Scotland. It's certainly not the only (relatively) common name from the real world of varying importance in the books, there's also Andrew, Arthur, Barbara, Becca, Ben, Beth, Bethany, Brandon, Bryan, Clarence, Colin, Dale, Desmond, Duncan, Eleanor, Emma. And that's only going down to E.

Yes, you're absolutely right, of course. Thank you!

The wiki describes Black Walder as wiry and stout, which is an oxymoron. Robb describes him as wiry, but I could not find where he's described as stout. Shouldn't stout be removed from his wiki page? 

I removed it since I couldn't find a mention either.

Regarding the daughters of Rhaena Targaryen and Garmund Hightower:

Ran and Linda have confirmed in one of their Dunk & Egg videos that Aelinor Penrose is Aerys I's cousin on the Targaryen side of the family. Unless we go with the assumption that the Penroses are descended from Aerea or Rhalla - which would make a very distant cousin indeed - one of Rhaena's daughters is our best guess. Whether Baela and Alyn had any daughters to be married off isn't clear, but there are those six unaccounted Hightower-Targaryen girls.

Ran also once said that those family tree files George has made merge into other family trees suggesting that there might family trees of Targaryen relations through the female insofar as they were important for the story/the family tree at large. Say, if George decided that some/many/all of Daeron II's sons were married to Targaryen cousins he also specified how exactly they are related now.

The only other family tree in which the Targaryen tree can merge would be the Targaryen-Baratheons, and that's not exactly a big branch - not to mention that it was printed in TWoIaF.

Archived