Football XXXII - Start as you mean to go on

Alex.

Well it's not that weird to be fair. It's probably not the team I'd go with but it was only the first game of the season last week, I don't think it's unreasonable for him to give the team he's viewing as first choice, other than maybe Firmino, time to bed in.

If he's not viewing Can as first choice then he should be fired.

If he's not viewing Can as first choice then he should be fired.

I think Can's going to be a quality player but there's only so many places in the team. Clearly Henderson's going to be first choice and they've signed Milner on the basis of playing him through the middle. To play Can as well as them they'll either have to play a diamond or push Coutinho out wide, perhaps that's not what they want to do.

Either way in his pre match interview Rodgers implied that Can and Firmino are being eased back in because they haven't had full preseasons.

Don't really understand why Sakho is not even making the bench for Liverpool. He's our best centre back imo

I'll have to disagree with you here Mark, while he maybe decent enough in the air, his positioning and ball control are highly suspect. Think Skrtel and Can did better than him last season.

I was hoping Firmino would get the nod ahead of Ibe but I guess his time will come.

Scottish football reacted with anger to a player in their league with actual skill.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alloas-colin-hamilton-tells-rangers-6264097

I think you mean '[b]a[/b] Scottish football[b]er[/b]' reacted to perceived showboating with anger. (And that player's manager reacted with praise, not anger.)

99% of Scottish fans love a skilful player. That's why the biggest Scottish football story of the day is about one such player transferring to Celtic, not another one being abused.

I think Can's going to be a quality player but there's only so many places in the team. Clearly Henderson's going to be first choice and they've signed Milner on the basis of playing him through the middle. To play Can as well as them they'll either have to play a diamond or push Coutinho out wide, perhaps that's not what they want to do.

Milner's a good player and all, but he's really not good enough to be pushing someone with Can's potential out of the team , especially with how similar in type he is to Henderson when he's playing through the middle. Though if it is just a case of Can's fitness, then fair enough.

I can see either formation working, anyhow. One can criticise Liverpool in the transfer market but you have built a squad with lots of versatility, at least.

Coutinho has been poor so far. Given it away really cheaply several times.

Awesome ball from Henderson, Coutinho was well off though not sure if that should have counted

It shouldn't. He was clearly interfering with play, given that the keeper couldn't commit until he knew whether he was going to touch it or not.

Still, leaving aside Coutinho's off-day, good movement by Benteke and quality cross.

I'm DVRing the game but can't resist following the live text updates.

Hopefully the early goal will allow us to settle, but I'm pretty annoyed that BR didn't learn from last game -- just like we saw for months last season.  Henderson and Milner are too similar and our MF doesn't have a shape yet.  We improved so much with Can last week but now we're back to Lallana over-dribbling and Ibe not connecting with the rest of the team.

I hope we improve in the second half.

Henderson and Milner are too similar and our MF doesn't have a shape yet.  We improved so much with Can last week but now we're back to Lallana over-dribbling and Ibe not connecting with the rest of the team..

Pretty spot on.

On a more positive note Clyne is a boss

Hmm.

Well maximum points from the first two games and, on the positive side, the defence actually looks ok and Benteke's clearly going to cause people problems. On the downside the midfield still looks pretty disjointed and if Henderson's out for the Arsenal game that's a concern.

We take the points but I can't mock Utd when we've played even worse than them to win our two games.  And they did it against stronger teams.  I assume we are either signing another midfielder or else reintegrating Lucas.  We looked light on options to solidify our midfield.

My consolation is that the 13/14 season started like this: several narrow wins until the team found it's rhythm and Suarez returned.  So we just need a Suarez-esque player to come into the team.  No pressure, Firmino.

Yeah, as much as Arsenal fans like to lambast their own team, at least they know what they're trying to do, even if it's not 100% clicked this season yet. Liverpool right now look like they haven't really worked it out yet, and with the shape they started the first two games with, there look to be enormous pockets of space in exactly the areas Ozil and Sanchez like to operate.

Archived