Football XXXII - Start as you mean to go on

Alex.

Dunno. Hard to trust this team, tbh. It should be a good game though - it's a pity we're going to have to wait till Monday for it. 

I'm thinking this might work out better for me to watch it since I'll be in Tuscany and an hour ahead. We don't plan on doing too much in the evenings.

I was looking forward to seeing Bournemouth tonight, and they didn't disappoint. Hope they can turn performances like that into points this season. Liverpool were lucky, didn't play that well, but winning ugly is often the mark of a decent team. Shame about the decisions that went against Bournemouth, but they certainly won't be the last so-called small club to get turned over by the referee this season.

That goal shouldn't have counted.

Coutinho was clearly offside and influenced the play rather heavily.

That being said, I quite liked what I saw from Liverpool on occasion, though those occasions weren't too frequent and didn't really last that long.

The defense looks better than last season, Gomez is turning out to be quite a signing and I did not expect that.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing Sakho replace Lovren.

Two wins from two matches is a great result, though the way Liverpool played in those matches leaves a lot to be desired.

Hopefully, they sort that out soon.

I do think Milner and Henderson in midfield should turn out to be a strong combination, even if they are similar.

I think Milner is too good to be left out of this Liverpool team. Henderson is certain to play, and coupled with the creativity of Lallana it looks good on paper. Coutinho, Firmino and Benteke to round it off. Looks pretty strong, but doesn't show it yet in reality.

Now that I've watched the full game, I feel better about Liverpool's win. We created more chances last night, albeit against a weak defense, and just lacked some sharpness to finish them - especially Cou.

And for all their attacking focus, the only chance they created was from a corner. Mignolet didn't have a save to make, just tip a couple of crosses.

Lallana did better in the second half as a deeper midfielder rather than a wide forward. Moreno had a good cameo as a left wing and looked sharp and hungry. Clyne was great and is so strong that he needs no cover ahead of him, which is why Ibe was shifted left - but not good for him - and Cou was nominally on the right. Benteke was very good, although more like Giroud than Suarez.

Can wasn't as good as I hoped. He tackles well and anchors well, but he didn't slow & control the game, he just looked to launch hasty counter attacks (perhaps under instruction). Milner was very solid but clearly better as a wide midfielder or on the side of a diamond rather than a deep central midfielder. Skrtel and Lovren did OK against two fast strikers despite some clumsy moments.

Ibe looks like Sterling three years ago. I think he'll develop well if he gets anything like the same playing time. Firmino looked lost - needs more time to fit in.

Archived