Football XXXII - Start as you mean to go on

Alex.

I feel all warm inside when Chelsea get stuffed, and I think that maybe, just maybe, the human race will be OK.

Did you see Silva for the third goal? He won the ball off Hazard deep in the LB zone to start the break away and then after Chelsea stopped the counter-attack it was Silva who blocked Ivanovic's pass just outside the box and turned it into an assist to Fernandinho. And none of the commentators even mentioned it. Aguero was amazing with his movement and ball control but Silva ran that game with incredible skill and unremarked effort.

Arsenal were a bit fortunate. They seem to be doing a Spurs at the moment.

Arsenal were a bit fortunate. They seem to be doing a Spurs at the moment.

The most ridiculous thing I've heard since Niall Quinn said Ozil was lucky to be playing every week.

Anyone who says we didn't deserve the win today is talking out of their arse.

And Ozil was fucking outstanding today. Bellends like Quinn peddling the 'Ozil is a bit shit' narrative need to get in the sea.

Anyone who says we didn't deserve the win today is talking out of their arse.

They dominated but missed loads of chances. After finally scoring a great goal they let the opposition equalize with one of their only shots in the whole game. They were lucky not to have a player sent off and then finally scored a winner from an OG.

Apart from actually getting the winner, that sounds like the very definition of doing a Spurs. And they were lucky to get a winner from an OG after squandering so many opportunities. They nearly threw away two points today despite playing much better.

I knew this may come as a shock, but I really enjoyed seeing City batter Chelsea like that.
It's just such a pleasure to see Mourinho in disarray. It's also such a pleasure to see Chelsea in disarray.
The fact that these two evils have now joined into one force that tries to negate the game of football, and they get stomped, that's just lovely.

I'm hoping guys like Hazard and Oscar will jump ship and show their beautiful work on a more fitting team.
Costa and Falcao can stay though.

They dominated but missed loads of chances. 

So what? I'd be worried if we weren't creating chances. 

After finally scoring a great goal they let the opposition equalize with one of their only shots in the whole game.

But it was a great shot, and fully deserving of a goal. It may come as a surprise to you, but top teams do occasionally concede goals. Shock. Horror.

They were lucky not to have a player sent off 

While I think Coquelin's foul on Bolasie was a definite yellow, the one that all the Eagles were getting their knickers in a twist over, wasn't. Having said that, I think Wenger was correct to sub him.

And they were lucky to get a winner from an OG after squandering so many opportunities.

You make your own luck in this game. Swings and roundabouts, and all that. 

They nearly threw away two points today despite playing much better.

No, we didn't. Not even close. After we went 2-1 up, we closed the game out like winners. Compared to last season's fixture, which we won 2-1 despite a second half battering, they never looked like denying us the points.

Did you see Silva for the third goal? He won the ball off Hazard deep in the LB zone to start the break away and then after Chelsea stopped the counter-attack it was Silva who blocked Ivanovic's pass just outside the box and turned it into an assist to Fernandinho. And none of the commentators even mentioned it. Aguero was amazing with his movement and ball control but Silva ran that game with incredible skill and unremarked effort.

He drew my eye from early on. He really did it all out there today, I thought. Clear MotM for me, even though Kompany, Aguero, Mangala all had super performances today.

Mateo Kovačić seems to be going to Real Madrid. I don't know who is the bigger idiot here - Inter, Madrid or Kovačić. I mean, I rate him highly, but the amount of similar players Madrid have is very high and his chances of breaking into the first team are not great, especially because he unfortunately didn't develop much at Inter and it could be a 35 mil. euro waste for them. And Inter lost a great young player who, if they developed him properly, could have been their star player.

I hoped he'd end up at Liverpool, he'd have a much easier time there and could really develop. Hope he proves himself at Madrid though.

Archived