January Reads: Setting the Tone for 2016!

Starkess

1 minute ago, First of My Name said:

I wouldn't manage to finish them in one day though, maybe in my vacation, but in a regular week I consider 50 pages a good day.

I guess there is some benefit on working on thesis, and getting bored to death by it. Reading helps.

On 1/20/2016 at 2:10 PM, Astromech said:

I keep debating purchasing this whenever I'm at the bookstore. This or Procopius' The Secret History.

I haven't read Procopius, but I know that it generally covers--uncovers might be more appropriate given Procopius' more sensational subject matters-Justinian's reign.  A Short History covers roughly 1200 years in nearly 400 pages, Norwich covers each Emperor(ess)'s major highlight or theme of their reign and putting it context with the ebb and flow of Byzantine power and history.

I'm going to be upfront about my bias, I'm finishing A Short History tomorrow and it's been fantastic.  I'm putting the three-volume history on my to buy list on Amazon because if this condensed version is this good I want to know what Norwich had to cut out.

2 hours ago, Garett Hornwood said:

I haven't read Procopius, but I know that it generally covers--uncovers might be more appropriate given Procopius' more sensational subject matters-Justinian's reign.  A Short History covers roughly 1200 years in nearly 400 pages, Norwich covers each Emperor(ess)'s major highlight or theme of their reign and putting it context with the ebb and flow of Byzantine power and history.

I'm going to be upfront about my bias, I'm finishing A Short History tomorrow and it's been fantastic.  I'm putting the three-volume history on my to buy list on Amazon because if this condensed version is this good I want to know what Norwich had to cut out.

Thanks for your opinion on Norwich's work. I'll probably purchase A Short History next visit to the bookstore.

Sailing to Sarantium by GG Kay it's a first of a two part series and is an earlier book of Kay's.  Unlike his later fantasies, it has a lot more magic, although the magic is mostly centered around one wizard. 

The writing isn't is a good as his later works, he spends much to much time on extemporaneous explanations of small scenes where he really should have just got on with it and slowed down the story in several spots.  

This story is set in the same world as 'Under Heaven' and 'River of Stars', but a quite a bit early in the worlds history.

The story is OK, too wordy, but enjoyable.  The next one in this series is 'Lord of Emperors' and I'll start that next week.

Ace has finally released the first 7 books of the Vlad Taltos series as ebooks in 3 omnibus editions.I have them loaded on my e-reader and ready to go .Hope the series lives up to expectations,if not, i shall blame Darth Richard! :P

But before i begin with the Vlad books,i'm going be reading City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennett.

Thus far this month I have read:

The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan

Far Horizons (sci-fi short story collection, edited by Robert Silverberg). Was both long and dull, and slowed me down dramatically.

The Winter Book by Tove Jansson

A Calculus of Angels by Greg Keyes

Empire of Unreason by Greg Keyes

14 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Thus far this month I have read:

The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan

Far Horizons (sci-fi short story collection, edited by Robert Silverberg). Was both long and dull, and slowed me down dramatically.

The Winter Book by Tove Jansson

A Calculus of Angels by Greg Keyes

Empire of Unreason by Greg Keyes

How'd you like The Steel Remains?

19 hours ago, LongRider said:

Sailing to Sarantium by GG Kay it's a first of a two part series and is an earlier book of Kay's.  Unlike his later fantasies, it has a lot more magic, although the magic is mostly centered around one wizard. 

The writing isn't is a good as his later works, he spends much to much time on extemporaneous explanations of small scenes where he really should have just got on with it and slowed down the story in several spots.  

This story is set in the same world as 'Under Heaven' and 'River of Stars', but a quite a bit early in the worlds history.

The story is OK, too wordy, but enjoyable.  The next one in this series is 'Lord of Emperors' and I'll start that next week.

I thought Lord of Emperors was better than Sailing To Sarantium, the first book took a long time to really get going. I'd still say it's a fairly low magic story, although there is probably more than in some of his other books there's far less than in Tigana or The Fionavar Tapestry.

I seem to remember it's not actually in the same world as Under Heaven/River of Stars, although since they're set so far apart in terms of geography and time period it could easily have been. It is definitely set in the same world as The Lions of Al-Rassan and The Last Light of the Sun.

Finished Long Price Quartet (all four books). Absolutely loved it, and everyone should read those books. They are great, despite being tragic. And they are original in every aspect, be it on characters, world or the magic system.

My favorite was the third book, followed by the fourth one. Otah and Maati are all time greats when it comes to fantasy genre.

35 minutes ago, TheRevanchist said:

Finished Long Price Quartet (all four books). Absolutely loved it, and everyone should read those books. They are great, despite being tragic. And they are original in every aspect, be it on characters, world or the magic system.

My favorite was the third book, followed by the fourth one. Otah and Maati are all time greats when it comes to fantasy genre.

But they're so dull and there are no magic battles or dragons or shootouts!

46 minutes ago, TheRevanchist said:

Finished Long Price Quartet (all four books). Absolutely loved it, and everyone should read those books. 

Too right. Hopefully awareness of these wonderful books will be one of the benefits of the Expanse adaptation.

One of the most beautiful endings I've ever read.

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Too right. Hopefully awareness of these wonderful books will be one of the benefits of the Expanse adaptation.

One of the most beautiful endings I've ever read.

Yes, putting aside my villainous persona for sec, those books are wonderful, and people that don't like them are obviously cylons.

Archived