Vikings IX: The Bear Necessities [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

35 minutes ago, BB-Rhae said:

Okay, double post, sorry, I know you're sick of my shit, but I watched the preview. I have only two questions.

Who is Ragnar trying to drown?

"How does it feel to be so close to the intellect of a donkey?" 

My god... King Aelle, your time has come.  

I hope that it is the chinese bitch.

Also i need some help. Can someone explain to me what is the deal about Harbard ? Is he truly a god (Harbard the ferryman, who might be Loki himself) ? Some were saying that Floki might indeed be Loki or something like that, and the scene with Aslaug reminded me of that theory.

18 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

I hope that it is the chinese bitch.

Me too. 

13 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

Also i need some help. Can someone explain to me what is the deal about Harbard ? Is he truly a god (Harbard the ferryman, who might be Loki himself) ? Some were saying that Floki might indeed be Loki or something like that, and the scene with Aslaug reminded me of that theory.

I have heard/read both Odin and Loki, he is definitely supposed to be some sort of God based on the visions/dreams connected to him, as well as the effect his presence has on people (especially women of Kattegat). I have no idea what to make of Floki's vision of Aslaug and Harbard, but I don't think it means to say that Floki is the representation of any God. In truth, I think if it was anybody's divine "power" that he witness the scene, it's Harbard's and he wanted Floki to see what he saw. I really don't know. In an odd way Harbard reminds me a bit of Zeus, wandering around shagging mortal women at every turn... At least he take the form of a man and not an animal. To be honest, I just want him killed and gone from the plot, whatever he is. 

2 hours ago, BB-Rhae said:

Okay, double post, sorry, I know you're sick of my shit, but I watched the preview. I have only two questions.

REDACTED FOR SPOILERS.

Do us all a favour and spoiler tag that shit. Not all of us watch the previews.

Thank you.

One thing about Harbard I am wondering about is ... is he supposed to be that good-looking and attractive? :lol: I know my criteria on that are often a bit ... off-average, but I simply cannot see anything about Harbard that would make all the Kattegat women go crazy. I know, I know, he is supposed to be a god and all, but seriously ... I do not see it. :leaving:

Also Ragnar's red mouth is creepy.

21 hours ago, BB-Rhae said:

Laic thoughts on weaponry. It is really really weird that the viking's only weapon seems to be a small axe, while the Franks' only weapon seems to be a crossbow. The vikings didn't even get to fight, because they were shot down from distance and the Franks never approached them closely enough that they could even initiate an attack. And when they are shooting at the vikings out and about, don't they ever run out of arrows and have to sport another weapon? Are they fcking Legolas? For the record, even Legolas used his knives at the battle of Helm's Deep. Along the same lines, do the vikings ever think of using something more effective at distance than a hammer sized axe? I have a hard time believing that's how uncreative they both are.

Weaponry choice was lazy on both sides, although the vikings did have some bows (that somehow failed to hit but one Frank) and a couple of swords. This has been the case during the whole series though: lots of axes, some spears being used really bad, and sometimes swords for the main characters.
I agree that the battle didn't make any sense. No sane commander would deploy crossbowmen on the ground without any kind of support, especially when he could have them shoot from the fort.

20 hours ago, GeorgeIAF said:

i'm not convinced Harbard is a god anymore. All we have in support of that theory is Floki saying Harbard is another name of Odin. I think it's similar to season 1, when a husband accused his wife of having slept with a wanderer and Lagertha dismissed the case by saying that man was actually the god Heimdallr. I'm getting the impression he might be simply an unbelievably charismatic man every woman in Northern Europe wants to sleep with.
(This also gives credit to my theory that Kevin Durand is bound by contract to play characters who constantly mess things up.)
With this in mind, I think it was Floki having the vision rather than Harbard causing it.

3 minutes ago, Floke said:

i'm not convinced Harbard is a god anymore. All we have in support of that theory is Floki saying Harbard is another name of Odin. I think it's similar to season 1, when a husband accused his wife of having slept with a wanderer and Lagertha dismissed the case by saying that man was actually the god Heimdallr. I'm getting the impression he might be simply an unbelievably charismatic man every woman in Northern Europe wants to sleep with.
(This also gives credit to my theory that Kevin Durand is bound by contract to play characters who constantly mess things up.)
With this in mind, I think it was Floki having the vision rather than Harbard causing it.

I love this. I never connected that Lagertha scene to Harbard. It really is a parallel to stupid Harbard. I can't decide if I think he is a god or not. If he isn't, he is probably a horny idiot who wanders around Scandinavia posing as a god to get under women's skirts. However, what was the point of the dream Helga, Siggy and Aslaug all had? And Helga did kinda see Harbard dissolve into nothingness. But then you see what you believe, so it might as well have been a trick her mind played on her. I really don't know. 

4 minutes ago, BB-Rhae said:

I love this. I never connected that Lagertha scene to Harbard. It really is a parallel to stupid Harbard. I can't decide if I think he is a god or not. If he isn't, he is probably a horny idiot who wanders around Scandinavia posing as a god to get under women's skirts. However, what was the point of the dream Helga, Siggy and Aslaug all had? And Helga did kinda see Harbard dissolve into nothingness. But then you see what you believe, so it might as well have been a trick her mind played on her. I really don't know. 

I was more inclined to believe he was Odin in the previous season because of that: he arrived as in a vision, acted like he was more than what met the eye, "cured" little Ivarr, and caused Siggy's death because... well, Odin is kind of a dick in the myths as well. Now, though, I don't know what to think. What's his purpose? Are Kattegat's women so beautiful it is worth visiting every now and then?
(Although this might explain why the town seems to be constantly thriving with life despite its inhabitants being decimated every other month.)

2 minutes ago, Floke said:

I was more inclined to believe he was Odin in the previous season because of that: he arrived as in a vision, acted like he was more than what met the eye, "cured" little Ivarr, and caused Siggy's death because... well, Odin is kind of a dick in the myths as well. Now, though, I don't know what to think. What's his purpose? Are Kattegat's women so beautiful it is worth visiting every now and then?
(Although this might explain why the town seems to be constantly thriving with life despite its inhabitants being decimated every other month.)

I still have no idea what caused Siggy's death. It looked like Harbard chose not to save her when I watched the episode because she Was hostile to him, I guess? But then, Jessalyn said in a commentary that after hallucinating her daughter Siggy herself decided to let go and reunite with everything she lost throughout the series. This one, once again, drives me to the conclusion that Harbard might be showing visions to people for whatever reason, Aslaug's infidelity to Floki and Valhalla to Siggy. 

And yeah, sure, horny gods do that in all mythologies, they come down to mix with the peasants and have some earthly fun. 

45 minutes ago, Floke said:

And Helga's, Aslaug's and Siggy's joint vision. But, series is full of visions, so.

2 hours ago, Floke said:

If they decide Harbard isn't supposed to be a God then I'm inclined to say the plan was changed between seasons. Pretty much everything in season 3 points that way, and it's difficult to reconcile season 3 Harbard with a season 4 Harbard who is not a God.

So let me see if I got this:

• Paris - death of asshole who was seeking more power
  • Wessex - death of asshole (kinda) who was seeking more power
  • Ragnar's army - death of pointless character WTF

So what was Yidu's purpose in this whole thing? If there was ever time when Erlendur's death would have fit with an episode's theme, this would have been it. I don't know how much longer we need to wait til that guy gets it. But if this means that we will get old Ragnar back, then maybe something worthwhile did come out of it.

The Frankish Emperor is such a coward that even Odo's execution is done in private? I wonder how long it will take until Rollo starts plotting against him. There is no way such a man should stay ruler of one of the more powerful Western European states for so long.

In the grand scheme of things, Kwen's death makes sense, I think. But really, Ecbert should have executed her right away after he showed her the documents. Considering how obsessed he is with Alfred, he shouldn't have any desires to see any potential rivals to the kingdom he intends to leave the boy.

Sigurd came through this episode. Finally Aslaug somewhat came to her senses.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

So let me see if I got this:

• Paris - death of asshole who was seeking more power
  • Wessex - death of asshole (kinda) who was seeking more power
  • Ragnar's army - death of pointless character WTF

So what was Yidu's purpose in this whole thing? If there was ever time when Erlendur's death would have fit with an episode's theme, this would have been it. I don't know how much longer we need to wait til that guy gets it. But if this means that we will get old Ragnar back, then maybe something worthwhile did come out of it.

The Frankish Emperor is such a coward that even Odo's execution is done in private? I wonder how long it will take until Rollo starts plotting against him. There is no way such a man should stay ruler of one of the more powerful Western European states for so long.

In the grand scheme of things, Kwen's death makes sense, I think. But really, Ecbert should have executed her right away after he showed her the documents. Considering how obsessed he is with Alfred, he shouldn't have any desires to see any potential rivals to the kingdom he intends to leave the boy.

Sigurd came through this episode. Finally Aslaug somewhat came to her senses.

Erlendur is there so Hirst can show fake out deaths.

I finally realized why King Ecbert, his speaking cadences, his posture and poses, seems so familiar.  He phrases all matters as of equal importance and reasonableness, with the same faux humble presentation, as my dentist.  (My dentist is brilliant in the practice of his profession in every aspect, from his own skills at diagnosis and treatment to how he organizes his office and administrative staff, to those he selects as part of his staff of other dentists, peridontists, hygienists, technicians, etc.  He could run Wessex very well.)

Only two episodes left? Are they splitting seasons again and we'll see the other 10 in the Fall?

Good episode overall. Nice to see Ragnar get some of his mojo back with the cliff-scaling idea. Ragnar and Floki make such a great team. I'm not entirely convinced Yidu is dead. It would be nice to move on from that arc, but I remain a bit skeptical. It was a quick drowning. I also am not sure why Ragnar was so secretive about it. He's king and she's his slave. I suppose Hirst doesn't want Ragnar to cross over the Finehair and Halfdan line for viewers. That arc has become a bit stale so I hope it is  the last we see of Yidu. I'm

Lagertha defending Ragnar was great. I am happy she's back to her normal self after Kalf's murder.

Torvi's  Bjorn murder vision was unnecessary. They both know Erlendur wants him dead. This is more Hirst writing something for his daughter, as seen in the preview for next week. Admittedly the whole role of Torvi is simple nepotism. I do enjoy Bjorn' challenging of his father. However, he still has some learning to do. Ragnar would've offed Erlendur already.

Whereas some of the viking storylines drag a bit, the Paris ones barely have any time to develop. So Odo makes his move against Rollo and is quickly thwarted the same episode? OK. Of course we have yet another pregnancy. Intrigue. Paris remains a mess as far as storylines go. Rollo has no agency anymore. Everything is just happening around him.

Wessex was actually entertaining this week. It was good to see it play out, but Kwen was really the only character left in Wessex  I enjoyed. Where did season 2 Ecbert go? Judith is probably my least favorite character. Her final line to Ecbert made me cringe. I was actually hoping Kwen would've mistakenly murdered her instead of simply threatening Ecbert. I suppose Athelstan Jr. has no potential rivals for his throne now. Well done, Judith. I will die a little bit inside if George Blagden plays Alfred :)

Archived