[spoilers] Positivity Thread/What you liked

Tyrion negotiating and dealing with the Wise Masters.  Throwback to when he was Hand of the King.

Stark reunion!! How could you not love it? 

Once again the North in general - Davos finally starting to confront Melisandre, Brienne and Tormund, Osha getting a quick death, Sansa being tough, PINK LETTER!! 

Loved the scene between Yara and Theon. Yara being tough but slowly getting more emotional

Jon and Sansa reunion. I shed a tear during that and it was perfectly acted.

Pink Letter was nice and Tormund with Brienne was hilarious. Edd's reaction was priceless.

Dany's scene was awesome and thankfully without Drogon. It would be just boring.

Yara and Theon nice scene.

Surprisingly Meereen stuff was good.

Davos finally asking the right questions.

- Who doesn't love the Sansa/Jon reunion?  It was so nice to see something positive finally happen.  It also *finally* puts a little closure on Sansas arc, as I believe she will more then likely remain by Jons side for the remainder of the series.

- I'm glad they finally addressed Davos vs. Melisandre in regards to Stannis and Shireen.  It's been a huge plot hole thus far this season.  I'm very curious where Davos's story goes from here, as he seems to be having an internal conflict of sorts, especially as he finds out about what Mel did.

- Tormund and Brienne....need I say more?  There is a damn good opportunity right there for some interesting and fun dialogue.  I'm intrigued by it's potential.

- No Dorne, yet again.  God I hope that means they dropped the story line.  

- Cersei/Jaime actually starting to make movement

- Littlefinger back, and seemingly raising up his army to go help Jon against Ramsey.  I'm hesitant on this one, because I don't trust Littlefinger, but I can see why him rounding the Vale to fight for Sansa/Jon would benefit him (which is what he's after, anyways).  

- I loved the Dany scene.  Bringing back ass-kicking Dany is the right move.

- I also like how they brought Tyrion back to a serious type of role.  Enough with the dick jokes, it was time for him to start actually *doing* something.  

This was a great episode as a whole.  There was very little dribble and every scene moved the story forward.

Jon/Sansa reunion was heartwarming, if you ignore Cersei/Jaime vibes.

Everyone agreeing it's time to bring down the fanatics.

In contrast to Marg, Loras is realistically dirty.

Davos at least TRIED to discuss Shireen (and failed miserably, but, well...).

Daenerys has superb tits.

Ramsay didn't flay Osha (yeah, that counts as a big, pleasant surprise).

It was a watchable episode, when you stop expecting Martin stuff and start expecting teenage comic book stuff. It's really just tits and dragons now (minus dragons), let's embrace it.

Where to begin?

Everything at the Wall was very entertaining to me. 

-Jon and Sansa: Finally we get a meeting between the children of house Stark. Their hug and sharing childhood memories was touching. For a time I dreaded that Sansa might arrive at the Wall after Jon's departure. So glad that did not happen. I loved how Sansa is ready to deliver some revenge.

-The show version of the pink letter: It's there now...after months of hearing people moaning about its omission...it's finally in Jon's hands.

-Tormund and Brienne: Their scenes were mostly tension filled stares. It was one of the funniest scenes from the show. It's proof that humor doesn't need cock jokes or pompous words...it can be as simple as a stare and body language.

-Mel, Davos and Brienne: Like I suspected and said a couple of times, after the things cooled down at the Wall, Davos did ask about Shireen and Stannis. Some might argue it was too late. I do understand why Davos asks for details now. When Mel arrived at CB and delivered the news about Stannis and Shireen I think she looked very shaken and Davos, although shocked, did not question her further at that time. Then Jon got stabbed, the mutineers represented a threat for everyone who was with Jon's corpse, the wildings came just in time to save the day, Mel lost her faith, Jon got resurrected. A lot has happened at the Wall, but as soon as everything kind of settled into place, Davos did ask the questions. I liked the fact that Brienne confirmed Stannis' execution. And who can blame her for doing so? Both Davos and Mel helped kill Renly. His death was then blamed on her.

Bonus reunion: Theon and Yara:- Well acted scene.

Daenerys:- Everyone and their grandma expected her to be saved by Drogon. I actually liked what they did with her in the show. Yes book Targs are not immune to fire...but this change works in the show. Some might say that it was a cheesy scene. To me it felt like we finally have more magic in the show. This season seems to add more supernatural stuff to the plots (Bran's flashbacks, Dany's second unburnt moment, Jon's resurrection etc) and I like it like this. 

I also loved Daario and his sexy dagger and Jorah with his stony hand.

Jon and Sansa seeing each other. All of the brother/sister stuff with the Starks, the Tyrells and the Greyjoys was great, really liked the fact that it was the sisters who were being assertive or strong or what have you.

Sansa being the one who wants to reclaim Winterfell. Her behaviour made me think of how, in contrast with Cersei, she'll use emotions to manipulate (though I wouldn't call this manipulation exactly) others rather than blackmail and intimidation. (YMMV, this is what I've thought reading the books).

Tyrion's struggles getting the others to see his point of view on how to handle Yunkai and Astapor and their masters.

Ramsay knowing Osha's MO. Unfortunately...

Tormund and Brienne. I look forward to awkward banter between the two.

Davos and Melisandre beginning to butt heads again. (Well, that happened in the last episode, but whatever...). Brienne telling them she executed Stannis. Basically all of the Wall stuff really.

Cersei and Jaime and the Small Council calling a truce of sorts.

Dany being the one to burn down the temple of the Dosh Khaleen. I read about it months ago in the speculation thread, and everyone assumed it would be Drogon's doing. But nope! Just a tiny fireproof Queen with a rather creepy smile on her face behind it all.

Everything at the Wall and everything involving Daenerys.  I loved the last scene a lot.  From her smug smile to the look on everyone's face when she emerges.  It's even better because if you adhere to the Song of Ice (Jon) and Fire (Dany) belief, then the god parallels were great.  Last week, the wildlings looked at Jon as if he were a god and this week same with the Dothraki and Dany.

Loved the Jon/Sansa reunion.  LOVED. IT.  I confess to one tear sliding down my cheek. That family has suffered so much and at times it seems like nothing would ever go right for them again. Now, at least 2 of them are together and the pink letter will guarantee that they will try to save Rickon.  I am all in :-)

9 hours ago, Jon Snow Bengal said:

I liked it that Osha got a quick death. It was kinda humane for Ramsay.

I was happy about that, too.  I said that to my husband after it was over.  We got a mercy there.

Also, of course, my favorite moment was the stark reunion.

Liked most of the episode

Jon and Sansa reunion, and it wasn't just gushy happy, it actually felt awkward because of how she use to treat him, well done.

Pink letter, gotta love it

Tormund and Brienne, made the episode for me.

And I liked that Dany the author of her own victory, she didn't need a dragon or a man to rescue her, she had it handled. And, Targs aren't immune to fire, she is. Big difference.

Yara and Theon was really good, you could feel the tension and hurt feelings in the air.

Jon/Sansa meetup.  Fucking yes.  Wish they'd shared the story about Jon cutting Janos Slynt's punk ass head off, but it was well enough regardless.  If we're gonna get fanfic, at least it's the fanfic I WANT.  (Still think Jon and Sansa will eventually meet back up bookside).

"I want your help but if I have to I'll do it myself."  Fuckin Yeah.

In a similar vein, "You're a spoiled little cunt but you're still my brother" warmed my heart. 

Good episode for sisters slapping their brothers around (figuratively).

Little Robin just does Not Give A Fuck about lordly duties when he has a New Shiny to play with.  Consistent, I think, with one of GRRM's own points he's making in this story.  Hereditary Rule sucked because literal children got put in charge.  "Boy Lords Are The Bane Of Any House" indeed.  RIP Roose :(

Ramsay Always Wins made sense this week and was perfectly justified in a way consistent with the show's own internal logic. 

Also, it's been a long time since Dany's been a smart asshole and outsmarted some jerks.  I'll call this scene Dracarys Lite.  And it moves her through this particular stop on her plot-train conveniently and quickly. Who knows, she may actually move a couple meters closer to WESTEROS by year's end after all (yeah, yeah, I know).  Again, like the callback to her being/knowing she's fireproof.  And here I thought she was just gonna demonstrate it by sticking her hand in the fire and laughing it off.

Daario KNOWS Fedorah has greyscale now.  That'll be interesting.  Smashing the Brothraki's head in with a rock after the fact was a good enough chuckle.

NO DORNE!!!!!! My hope that they've just buried it and moved on remains alive.

9 hours ago, tmug said:

I agree, I cringed when Ramsay was skinning that damn apple then Osha walks in the door. Poor Osha didn't realize how much of a sicko Ramsay is and how he actually liked the rough stuff with Myranda.

I thought Osha DID know exactly what Ramsay was, she just couldn't get to the knife quick enough. RIP Osha, a woman with a plan that didn't work out.

I loved the episode! I don't know about a score (9 out of 10, mostly because I'm hoping for bigger and better as it ends). It's tied for first along with Hardhome, another episode I loved.

Daario: I don't want to fight you. If I win, I'm the shit who killed an old man.  If I lose, I'm the shit who let an old guy kill him.

Jorah: You didn't get much discipline as a child. [It wasn't even a question!!!]

Everyone moved forward.  I loved watching Margaery listen to the High Sparrow, her asking him questions. She's still got it together, and she was a decent queen, capable of making her people less barbaric. Loved her with Loras.

Cersei and the Queen of Thorns working together.  Nevermind that Cersei got them into the mess with the High Sparrow in the first place.

Nice to see Littlefinger. 

I loved Tormund pledging 2000 men to Sansa's cause, and ...smiling at Brienne. 

LOVED THE STARK REUNION. Sansa to Jon "I want you to help me, but I'll do it myself if I have to."

Dany: You're little men. You're not going to serve me.  You're going to die.

Just as it should be! I thought it was an excellent episode. Very well-paced and structured, great character development and some very stellar acting. I cried at Jon and Sansa's reunion! For me, this season has started off slowly, but now I really feel like we're getting somewhere and cannot wait for more. 

A lot of good stuff happened here which made me regain some hope for this trainwreck of a series for the first time in several seasons: a Stark reunion, the first since Cat and Robb in S2, Tyrion is once again a shrewd politician for the first time since Blackwater, LF is a master schemer and con artist again after having been a completely clueless idiot ever since he killed Lysa, and above all, a character (Dany) has acted rationally and consciously used their super powers as a weapon to get out of a difficult situation.  While this is a standard trope in every kind of storytelling, it has not been seen at all in GOT S5 or S6. Instead we have so gotten used to stuff like Alliser Thorne first opening the gates for the wildlings and then when the wildlings are already there killing Jon over it, that we now believe this is how it's supposed to be. But maybe not anymore...

It's more that Jorah has the book wisdom (knows the rules of Vaes Dothrak, can pass the lore checks on what lies will be plausible and which parts of the city to go and which to avoid) while Daario has the street smarts (chases down the snitch, bashes the body's head in with a rock to hide the true cause of death, ever thinking on his feet).

Still quite complementary skill sets. Fun stuff.

I liked basically everything. This season doesn't feel slow compared to S4 and S5. Even when things are being set in motion, it doesn't just feel like filler and build-up. Things are actually happening, and people are ending where they need to be rather than having episodes of traveling around and doing fuck all until episode 8/9/10. 

I thought Sansa was great, and Tormund was hilarious. Love Jorah in the show, and I'm glad Dany's story didn't take all season to develop. I'm not sure why people hated that final scene at all...I thought it was pretty badass, and fit in pretty nicely with the book prophecy of "To go forward you must go back." I don't know how people expected her to get out of that shitty situation without a miracle, and the show has always emphasized her fire immunity. 

I never posted about the TV show but after the awful bit he got in 6x03, I was SO relieved about Tyrion's bit in 6x04.

As unpopular as this opinion might be, I totally loved how he dealt with the supporters of slavery because it was REALISTIC and he was as PRAGMATIC as a true ruler HAS to be.

I thought that scene was great because it reminded me of so many situations that actually happened in history… mutatis mutandis, it reminded me that when Abraham Lincoln needed the votes to rule out slavery he went step by step, cheated, lied, corrupted and made agreements with the worst people on earth, it all for YEARS, he went after realistic results and not ideal irrealistic ones which were out of reach in any case, he didn’t throw a fit about how slavery was unhuman deciding it had to stop at once...that’s not how the world works, how human minds work and how politics work.. it’s just that simple, you’ve got to swallow a lot of sh**, dirt your hands and focus on the goal. Thaddeus Stevens, who was like the most anty-slavery guy in the country, swore that he believed slaves were not equal to him, even if he thought exactly the opposite (he was in a relationship with a black woman), because that was the only way to convince the sitting-on-the-fence-people to let the Law against slavery pass. He was criticized by his own people but hey, who was the one able to look further?! You can win only step by step. Revolutions call for restorations, while step by step innovation is the keythat's why France got revolutions and restorations, the UK got step by step innovation.. and the UK kings still have their heads. 

Daenery’s purpose was noble, but she was handling the matter really badly, as an idealistic teen ager moved by her emotions instead of her brain, unable to see the in-the-long-run consequences of her actions (”how has that worked here in Mereen?”) and basically as a ruler who is unfit to rule; she wanted to do good and created a big mess instead. It’s not enough to have noble intentions, you need to be a pragmatic, rational ruler with a strategic mind. There have never been true rulers who lacked these traits.

Missandei and Greyworm ... I understand them as human beings but politically they are totally wrong. Everyone would love to go like ‘screw slavery’, but that’s not how things go, if you want your reforms to LAST. They support the ruler who says and does what they want to hear and see, not the one who is making the most clever decisions to rule out slavery in the long run. They are too emotionally invested in it to be able to look at the mess in a detached wayTyrion can instead, he is in the best position because he knows slavery enough to understand that is awful and needs to be erased, but he has not been a slave for so long that his willingness to destroy slavery and his emphaty with the victims blind him (as they blind Missandei and Greyworm). The only result you get acting as Daenerys (and as Missandei and Greyworm would like to behave) is war...then you would be brave, idealistic and noble, but also dead. And with the new ruler, there would be a restoration, as ALWAYS happened in history  when the changes were sudden instead of gradual (France? Russia? etc. etc.) and the new ruler would bring slavery back forever, while you and your ideals rot in a grave. Still, Missandei&Greywom's emotional reaction was realistic (for this I loved it), that's what the majority of anti-slavery people would react and that's why the majority of people are unfit to rule.

Archived