Video Games: "Completeness" becomes important somehow

Rhom

4 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Fine, I got Rick rolled, now you have to sign.

:) I'm like 5 years behind the rest of the internet.

Before I can sign this petition in good conscience, do you have any proof that these 'gamers who identify as athletes' won't be exposing their controllers to me in public game stores? 

Pretty much all the examples of pro players with US visa issues that I've seen are players who are also from friendly countries and not Muslim...but regardless these visa issues are ridiculous for how big some of these tournaments are, MongolZ were recently denied visas for attending qualifiers for a CSGO tournament with a million dollar prize pool because the US embassy thought they might try to stay in the US. 

18 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

:) I'm like 5 years behind the rest of the internet.

Before I can sign this petition in good conscience, do you have any proof that these 'gamers who identify as athletes' won't be exposing their controllers to me in public game stores? 

Well I can't guarantee a zero risk exposure, but as most esports are played on PC (but not all by any stretch) the risk is pretty low, and I doubt people are going to run around exposing their gaming keyboards and mouses (mice?) as those have no real shock value. it is a little bit possible you will have a Gamecube controller waved in your general direction. Those are quite pointy and can be a bit intimidating. But please, overcome your concerns and think of the little children.

18 minutes ago, Gears of the Beast said:

Pretty much all the examples of pro players with US visa issues that I've seen are players who are also from friendly countries and not Muslim...but regardless these visa issues are ridiculous for how big some of these tournaments are, MongolZ were recently denied visas for attending qualifiers for a CSGO tournament with a million dollar prize pool because the US embassy thought they might try to stay in the US. 

Yeah, I suppose it would be a problem for me getting in on a visitors/entry visa as it does not entitle me to earn anything, which would include being sponsored and winning money, while in the USA. Surely overstayer concerns from countries like AU and NZ are bigger with people getting straight visitors visas and then getting cash jobs or just flying under the radar not for people getting P1 visas who have somewhat of an online public profile.

I am kinda excite about Overwatch cos I pre-ordered it. Of course, being in the EU we can't play it until tonight, but still. Weeeh! Now, if only work wasn't super stressful at the same time, if only I didn't have a big garden and two kids that demand my time.... :)

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/24/11762204/rocket-league-xbox-one-pc-cross-play

It's now possible to play Rocket League multiplayer on Xbox One against PC players and vice versa. I really hope they expand this to include cross-console play, and it eventually becomes the norm. The only reason I went with Xbox over PS4 was to be able to play with my friends. 

I'm also curious how they'd handle first person shooters. I think most people would agree PC players would have an aim advantage over people using controllers. Though really I don't see why keyboard and mouse support wouldn't be possible on Xbox one. 

Hooray! There's a new Valkyria Chronicles game coming out. PS4 to start with, but based on Sega's recent form we should see it heading to PC as well.

Less great, still no plans or VC2 or 3 to come to PC and the new game sounds like it was an action title that was retrofitted into the VC universe and it's not going to be quite the same kind of game as the earlier ones. Which could be a recipe for disaster.

52 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Hooray! There's a new Valkyria Chronicles game coming out. PS4 to start with, but based on Sega's recent form we should see it heading to PC as well.

Less great, still no plans or VC2 or 3 to come to PC and the new game sounds like it was an action title that was retrofitted into the VC universe and it's not going to be quite the same kind of game as the earlier ones. Which could be a recipe for disaster.

OMG! With how the previous two games went handheld exclusive I'd given up on getting another Valkyria Chronicles. This is awesome news, love that franchise!

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

It's now possible to play Rocket League multiplayer on Xbox One against PC players and vice versa. I really hope they expand this to include cross-console play, and it eventually becomes the norm. The only reason I went with Xbox over PS4 was to be able to play with my friends. 

I'm also curious how they'd handle first person shooters. I think most people would agree PC players would have an aim advantage over people using controllers. Though really I don't see why keyboard and mouse support wouldn't be possible on Xbox one. 

It's highly unlikely for FPS games. Because of aim-assist and because if the game is any good it will need to have it's balance tweaked for the differing control setups.

16 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

I am kinda excite about Overwatch cos I pre-ordered it. Of course, being in the EU we can't play it until tonight, but still. Weeeh! Now, if only work wasn't super stressful at the same time, if only I didn't have a big garden and two kids that demand my time.... :)

I decided to give it a pass for now. Was fun but not like $70-$95 fun. I'll grab it when it comes on sale or when I come into some more money to blow on stuff like that.

Gonna stick with HOTS for now.

50 minutes ago, Shryke said:

It's highly unlikely for FPS games. Because of aim-assist and because if the game is any good it will need to have it's balance tweaked for the differing control setups.

I think it could work, provided developers of cross platform games include an option for mouse and keyboard controls. Most players probably wouldn't bother, because they're accustomed to playing from the couch or because they can't comfortably play that close to their Xbox. (do wireless mice work on an xbox one?) 

I think cross platform play with PC players should probably be something the player opts into, with the understanding that if they aren't using mouse and keyboard controls they will be at a disadvantage due to the lack of aim assist. What balance tweaks are usually done beyond that? I know that the last generation Battlefield games had lower player counts, but I'm assuming that isn't an issue anymore. I might be wrong, but I thought that at this point the PC's advantages were strictly graphical*. 

Edit: *When it comes to cross platform games at least. I know that in theory someone could create a game that couldn't run on a puny console because of all it's real time physics calculations or fancy AI or whatever. I've just never heard of one. 

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

I know Sony and MS have both made positive noises about cross console play, and I would hope that Rocket League would be one of the first to do it. But there's quite a way to go between saying good things and good things happening.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

If I was inclined to profanity I would say "VC2 and 3 better fucking come to PS4 at least at the same time as they come to PC; if they come at all." But since I'm not I'll just say I do hope VC2 and 3 get a remaster for PS4 and PC.

44 minutes ago, Shryke said:

I decided to give it a pass for now. Was fun but not like $70-$95 fun. I'll grab it when it comes on sale or when I come into some more money to blow on stuff like that.

If you want some FPS arena shooter action but lack funds try out Paladins, it's in Beta, but it is free, and will remain so.

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I think it could work, provided developers of cross platform games include an option for mouse and keyboard controls. Most players probably wouldn't bother, because they're accustomed to playing from the couch or because they can't comfortably play that close to their Xbox. (do wireless mice work on an xbox one?) 

I think cross platform play with PC players should probably be something the player opts into, with the understanding that if they aren't using mouse and keyboard controls they will be at a disadvantage due to the lack of aim assist. What balance tweaks are usually done beyond that? I know that the last generation Battlefield games had lower player counts, but I'm assuming that isn't an issue anymore. I might be wrong, but I thought that at this point the PC's advantages were strictly graphical*. 

Edit: *When it comes to cross platform games at least. I know that in theory someone could create a game that couldn't run on a puny console because of all it's real time physics calculations or fancy AI or whatever. I've just never heard of one. 

Both PS4 and Xb one have mouse and keyboard functionality, but not currently for gaming purposes IIRC. I imagine it wouldn't be all that much of a stretch to make the functionality availble for gaming. Again IIRC I think Unreal Tournament on PS3 was playable using mouse and keyboard.

Cross console play on FPS is probably fine as long as you're not doing competitive things. If you're doing competitive things people already go to the system that has the 'best' controls for it if they're serious.

Probably the easiest way to solve this would be to simply have starcraft-like laddering and matchmaking services, so that eventually how good your controls are match up with your perceived skill and ability against others. For things like CoD that's probably fine.

26 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Both PS4 and Xb one have mouse and keyboard functionality, but not currently for gaming purposes IIRC. I imagine it wouldn't be all that much of a stretch to make the functionality availble for gaming.

Final Fantasy XIV for PS4 supports mouse and keyboard play. I don't know if any other game does, but there's at least one.

35 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Less players for BF3 or 4 of whichever one it was is a hardware issues. Consoles remain largely underpowered and so concessions must be made. (though the knock-on effects are largely positive for the PC market)

But when talking about console vs PC for an FPS you are mainly talking about Controller vs KBAM. And from a control perspective, there's alot different with a controller vs KBAM. Like turning speed as a big one. This can have a big effect on map and gun and ability design because something that works fine when you can whip your perspective around super fast may be broken when you can't. Just stuff like that.

I don't know how many design tweaks are actually done for many FPS, if any, cause I avoid MP shooters almost exclusively. But it's definitely a consideration that needs to be made in FPS and really in any game. That's also why you see alot of people getting controllers for their PC. Cause for many games the ports are awful and/or no port could actually make the game work on KBAM.

2 hours ago, Procrastimancer said:

Final Fantasy XIV for PS4 supports mouse and keyboard play. I don't know if any other game does, but there's at least one.

OK so it seems like it's a game developer choice rather than a system thing.

9 hours ago, Shryke said:

I have so little time to play anything these days, so this will be my investment for 2016, potentially until Legion comes out when I might cave. Do Blizzard games generally go on sale at a decent rate? I remember waiting so long for D3 I never even bothered to play it once I got it. It was something like 2 years before I saw it on anything that I would consider really reduced price.

I only got a very little time in last night, but Lucio is still my favourite, although got some tries in on Roadhog. Clearly, I need to practise more on other heroes, since I briefly ran some training on McCree and realised I have no clue how that's supposed to work.

Archived