Video Games: "Completeness" becomes important somehow

Rhom

So, apparently Cleopatra is back as the leader of Egypt in Civ VI.

Words cannot describe how disappointed I am by that decision, they could have gone with Akhenaten, Ramses II, or Hatshepsut, all three of which have very distinct personality and major achievements, but instead they went with freaking Femme Fatale 101 Cleopatra, who essentially lost Egypt, and was barely Egyptian in any case. What a waste... I do suppose that she is more iconic and has a more notable personality though.

I thought picking Roosevelt for the Americans meant they would go for more "out there" picks this time around, but it seems I was mistaken. Anyways, still hoping France gets Robespierre, but I've heard some speculation that they might get Joan of Arc again. (Which I don't mind)

Robespierre is probably too controversial a figure to be France's leader, to be honest.

As for TW:W, the End Times have started and Chaos comes to despoil all...

...if they weren't busy being stopped by the heroic efforts of the Empire's finest, that is! I had a ridiculously epic battle with 3 stacks on each side, and the enemy army was led by Kholek Suneater, Archaon, and a surprise general that I won't spoil. Chaos brought many elite units to the table, including Chosen, Hellcanons and Chaos Spawn, but I ended up drowning them in bodies. Turns out, Chaos Spawn being unbreakable doesn't work so well when 5 different crossbowmen units fire on them at once. And as scary as Archaon is in melee, surround him with spears and greatswords and he dies... eventually at least. Meanwhile Franz was busy destroying the Hellcanons and my other generals fought at the frontline, dying but securing our victory with their last stand as more reinforcements poured for both sides. Yet in the end, superior firepower prevailed. I almost lost twice as many men as I killed, but there are always more men in the Empire wit my now 6k income per turn.

Without their leaders, the Chaos armies just vanished, albeit the narration says they will be back. Well, let them come. I'll have Ghal Maraz, Demigryphs and Steam Tanks by then.

3 years late I know, but I just finished Bioshick Infinite for the first time. I really enjoyed it and its ending wasn't at all what I was expecting, but that's not a bad thing. I was wondering what people thought about the DLC. Is it worth getting if I'm probably only going to have the game for a few days (borrowed it from a friend)?

ETA: bearing in mind the DLC costs £16 overall, which seems ludicrous when the full game is currently on sale for £5.

6 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

3 years late I know, but I just finished Bioshick Infinite for the first time. I really enjoyed it and its ending wasn't at all what I was expecting, but that's not a bad thing. I was wondering what people thought about the DLC. Is it worth getting if I'm probably only going to have the game for a few days (borrowed it from a friend)?

ETA: bearing in mind the DLC costs £16 overall, which seems ludicrous when the full game is currently on sale for £5.

16 pounds? Holy shit, I dont recall it being that pricey, but yes it's really good stuff. Dark as hell, though.

2 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

16 pounds? Holy shit, I dont recall it being that pricey, but yes it's really good stuff. Dark as hell, though.

Sounds like the terrible Mass effect 3 dlc prices urgh

10 hours ago, Jasta11 said:

Robespierre is probably too controversial a figure to be France's leader, to be honest.

If they can put people like Genghis Khan, Attila, or hell, even Napoleon, who was pretty much "Hitler" for the Europeans before WW2, I don't see why Robespierre wouldn't qualify.

He's extremely relevant to the history of France, and the world, has character which means it would be easy to give him a personality (batshit insane, only aggressive towards people taking different policies than him), and represents an important chapter in the history of Europe, the rise of republicanism and nationalism. 

I do agree he might not be revered as a national hero the same way all of the other Civ leaders are, but it'd be interesting to switch things up a bit.

17 hours ago, Fez said:

Junkrat is clearly my best character. Any character that requires situational awareness but not much aiming is one for me. I've had so many great synergy moments with teammates where my steel trap set up a kill, and its so satisfying getting Tracer or another fast-paced character with the concussion mine. I've got positive winning percentages with a few characters (though I'm sub-50% overall right now), but Junkrat is the only one where I'm over 66% (minimum 5 games). He's also the one where my K/D ratio is over 2, and he's the only one where I've gotten play of the game more than once; RIP-Tire can be a hell of a thing.

People seem to be smarting up to the RIP-tyre tho, as I got it shot before detonation some 80% yesterday. On the other hand, my team managed to do the same. It seems to work best when people are already occupied with other things and can't really pinpoint where it's coming from.

I stupidly stuck with Mei in a game with a Junkrat, a Reaper and a Pharah on the other team. That hurt. :( Need to learn to swap over faster to something else. My main issue is I really suck at offence, since I never play it. Even with two other tanks, I do more damage as D.Va than as any offence.

15 hours ago, Sullen said:

So, apparently Cleopatra is back as the leader of Egypt in Civ VI.

Words cannot describe how disappointed I am by that decision, they could have gone with Akhenaten, Ramses II, or Hatshepsut, all three of which have very distinct personality and major achievements, but instead they went with freaking Femme Fatale 101 Cleopatra, who essentially lost Egypt, and was barely Egyptian in any case. What a waste... I do suppose that she is more iconic and has a more notable personality though.

I thought picking Roosevelt for the Americans meant they would go for more "out there" picks this time around, but it seems I was mistaken. Anyways, still hoping France gets Robespierre, but I've heard some speculation that they might get Joan of Arc again. (Which I don't mind)

Has it been definitively confirmed there is only 1 leader per civ yet? I wonder if they'll do something different with Egypt by having her as leader, like they're doing with America with Teddy.

7 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Yeah it's ridiculous. Do you remember how many hours you get out of the DLC? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

Well, it's 2 episodes, not just one thing. About 6 hours combined.

4 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

People seem to be smarting up to the RIP-tyre tho, as I got it shot before detonation some 80% yesterday. On the other hand, my team managed to do the same. It seems to work best when people are already occupied with other things and can't really pinpoint where it's coming from.

I stupidly stuck with Mei in a game with a Junkrat, a Reaper and a Pharah on the other team. That hurt. :( Need to learn to swap over faster to something else. My main issue is I really suck at offence, since I never play it. Even with two other tanks, I do more damage as D.Va than as any offence.

I only realised I could kill the tyre from reading this forum and always tried to evade it. I do have less than 5 hours recorded time though. Can't find the time to play. :( And I'm still struggling to learn the maps (including their names), so I'm good at neither offence nor defence. 

57 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I only realised I could kill the tyre from reading this forum and always tried to evade it. I do have less than 5 hours recorded time though. Can't find the time to play. :( And I'm still struggling to learn the maps (including their names), so I'm good at neither offence nor defence. 

Some of the things you can do aren't obvious at first glance though, so it's prolly something you'll learn with time. I also avoided the tyre in the beginning and had no idea it was killable. It's not super obvious you can rocket jump with Junkrat without hurting yourself either.

Apparently you can do the same with Soldier 76, but I have never managed (nor dared) try while in an actual game. And I don't have time to just sit in Custom Game to tinker either. Hell, I didn't know you could just run through Reinhardt's shield like nothing, or I never tried. So now I just turboed forward and stood behind Reinhardt and shot him in the head, while my team was in front of him. I also skated through the shield on Lucio and punted him.

You can also lob the D.Va suit not just forward, but over obstacles, so if you aim it right, you can basically send your suit forward to explode just over people's heads. Not tried this yet, but I imagine the aiming of this is pretty tricky, also to know *where* to do it from, so it will travel the correct distance.

As Lucio, you can skate around corners on the outside (like Hanamura temple) and on Temple of Anubis, you can skate along walls, keep spamming jump while you do and get up ledges you normally need some sort of scaling or grapple to get up.

Most of these things I only know cos I saw someone do it, or I would have no clue. :)

I can do most of these things and I am still absolutely dire as offence. :P

2 hours ago, Ruhail said:

I finally  Platinumed Uncharted 1 (PS4) yesterday making for my 18th Pt Trophy

Nice. UC1 was my first ever platinum, as it was the first ever game I bought for PS3 that had trophies. I would have tried to plat Valkyria Chronicles first, but the original never had trophies.

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

Has it been definitively confirmed there is only 1 leader per civ yet? I wonder if they'll do something different with Egypt by having her as leader, like they're doing with America with Teddy.

It hasn't been confirmed yet, but considering how they said they wanted individual leaders to have more fleshed out personalities, I doubt they'd go back to the multiple leaders mechanic of 2/4.

If I recall correctly, they said that Egypt under Cleopatra would be more militaristic and espionage-driven than before, I think their wonder-hogging days are over. Also, they also specified that Cleo's unique personality trait is a desire to ingratiate herself with anyone having a large military, and being absolutely vicious to those who do not have a large enough army.

If I'm not mistaken, it's been implied that the Chinese will now have an ability to speed up wonder construction by using worker charges, if so that might make China a very attractive prospect to anyone who's strategy (SP or MP) relies on getting as many wonders as possible.

13 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Yeah it's ridiculous. Do you remember how many hours you get out of the DLC? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

I'd avoid it. The story starts promising but ends really poorly. The whole thing was Ken Levine trying to prevent another Bioshock game from ever being made. Shortly after it was done, Levine fired most of the staff at Irrational Games (such things happen in the video game industry sadly all too often) to make the studio a lot smaller and focus on other things; to further prevent another game from being made.

But the series has been too profitable for 2K, so they took it and handed it off to another studio (with some of the former Irrational Games staff) who are now working on the next game without any input from Levine. And they almost certainly are going to overwrite or completely ignore the DLC as part of the story setup for the next game.

8 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Yeah, I've had it shot a few times. But I find that people are quite often too preoccupied; especially if someone like Winston or Tracer is on my team running around them. Its also great when they are just coming around a corner. 

I had a bunch of bad games yesterday though, just nothing seemed to work out. It was all made up for though by one game, control mode, which was the first time I really saw someone being an asshole in the chat box. He kept saying all kinds of stuff, misspelled to get around the profanity filter, and then kept telling us to 'GIVE UP' when his team got closer to winning the second round (they won the first round). He got so mad when we managed to get an overtime and kept it going for a solid 2 minutes, and then we took control and he went even more asshole. We even ended up winning the round. It would've been amazing anyway. But seeing him call us 'u fagg ots' and then ragequit before the third round started made it even sweeter.

To top it off, his team actually won the third round without him; he was the one holding them back.

9 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Some of the things you can do aren't obvious at first glance though, so it's prolly something you'll learn with time. I also avoided the tyre in the beginning and had no idea it was killable. It's not super obvious you can rocket jump with Junkrat without hurting yourself either.

Apparently you can do the same with Soldier 76, but I have never managed (nor dared) try while in an actual game. And I don't have time to just sit in Custom Game to tinker either. Hell, I didn't know you could just run through Reinhardt's shield like nothing, or I never tried. So now I just turboed forward and stood behind Reinhardt and shot him in the head, while my team was in front of him. I also skated through the shield on Lucio and punted him.

You can also lob the D.Va suit not just forward, but over obstacles, so if you aim it right, you can basically send your suit forward to explode just over people's heads. Not tried this yet, but I imagine the aiming of this is pretty tricky, also to know *where* to do it from, so it will travel the correct distance.

As Lucio, you can skate around corners on the outside (like Hanamura temple) and on Temple of Anubis, you can skate along walls, keep spamming jump while you do and get up ledges you normally need some sort of scaling or grapple to get up.

Most of these things I only know cos I saw someone do it, or I would have no clue. :)

I can do most of these things and I am still absolutely dire as offence. :P

Yeah, the one thing I noticed about Overwatch is unlike basically every other Blizzard game it's chalk full of alot of non-obvious stuff the game never tries to teach you.

Archived