Video Games: "Completeness" becomes important somehow

Rhom

16 minutes ago, Shryke said:

Which Warhammer Fantasy lore is this based off anyway? Old or new?

Old.  One of the things that makes it so hilarious to me is that they may have just found a great way to increase interest in the miniature line that they just blew up.  

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Ok, some researching combined with your stories has lead me to think this could maybe be dope. It's standard looking fantasyness to me, but Total War is the only franchise I know of that can transfer those awesome trailer charges into actual gameplay.

So, a few questions if you guys could indulge me to get to Gamestop (closes like 3 hours or so after this post I think) in time to buy.

1) Is Chaos that big a deal to play as?

2) Do Vampires (they seem the coolest) get dragons?

3) What other races can I expect in DLC? Five seems pretty limited.

-Chaos is playable as DLC, which was free in the first week but is now 15$ I believe. Their gameplay is quite different, they are a Horde-based faction that has no settlements of any kind; their whole deal is to move armies around and burn everything in their path. IMO their gameplay isn't that interesting since you spend a lot of time running away from enemy stacks and your economy sucks, you depend on raiding and looting. Greenskins are more fun IMO since you have a power base to run back to, a rudimentary economy, some cool events, and are encouraged to continue fighting while Chaos needs to stop from time to time to allow their very slow replenishment to kick in.

-Vampires indeed have dragons, but as mounts for Vampire Lords and Mannfred von Carstein, one of their Legendary Lord (and by far the strongest of the two they have). They look cool as hell and are very useful, but aren't units in their own right. They do have Terrorgeists, giant undead bats that serve a similar purpose and look almost as cool. Mannfred on a dragon is probably the most powerful unit in the game, since he's not only a close combat beast, he has acces to 2 Lores of magic, including the Lore of Death which is the best by far.

-Brettonia comes as free DLC later this year for sure. They are already playable in custom battles and multiplayer, but are obviously unfinished. They will also add new units, heroes, and Lores of magic for free. But I doubt they will add another faction as free-LC. Kislev, Beastmen and/or Wood Elves will possibly be added at some point to the roster, but for free? I doubt it to be honest.

Yeah, 5 factions is not a lot, but to be honest, I'd rather have 5 actually diverse factions than 20 variations of dudes with spears, some cavalry and bows. On that front I think CA did good, each faction obviously had a lot of thought and care put into it as well as playing very differently.

I knew nothing of Warhammer before getting the game and so far I'm having a blast, doing a dwarf and Vampire  and they're both diverse and great. 

The Vampire corruption is a great mechanic and like the occupation mechanics it has a fun effect on your strategy which in almost every other total war was 'this thing is next to me so of course i'm going to invade it' 

I'm now getting convinced that the reason the dwarf campaign is rated easy is because they're the faction with the best chance of blitzing and genociding the orcs before they can get their additional doomstacks 

Have the day off on account of putting in some wacky hours all week, so I started out a Vampire campaign with German-Name-Guy. Just finished the intro battle and it was pretty dope. Reminded me of Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth in the battle, which is always a good thing.

18 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Have the day off on account of putting in some wacky hours all week, so I started out a Vampire campaign with German-Name-Guy. Just finished the intro battle and it was pretty dope. Reminded me of Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth in the battle, which is always a good thing.

Just because of this, I can't wait to read your game reports. :D

Blood and Wine is really, really good so far. There's a massive amount of (enjoyable) content and Toussaint feels as big as Skellige, but much more distinct. Main antagonist seems more compelling than any of the previous ones. Can't really fault it on anything, it just seems like more of everything that made TW3 good.

4 hours ago, Talleyrand said:

I knew nothing of Warhammer before getting the game and so far I'm having a blast, doing a dwarf and Vampire  and they're both diverse and great. 

The Vampire corruption is a great mechanic and like the occupation mechanics it has a fun effect on your strategy which in almost every other total war was 'this thing is next to me so of course i'm going to invade it' 

I'm now getting convinced that the reason the dwarf campaign is rated easy is because they're the faction with the best chance of blitzing and genociding the orcs before they can get their additional doomstacks 

One of the first realtime wargames I ever owned was Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat for PS One and its sequel Dark Omen...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer:_Shadow_of_the_Horned_Rat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer:_Dark_Omen

I think they were PC ports, as the interface was super clunky and somewhat unresponsive, but once you got used to the controls, they were really fun. The highlight of these games were the cutscenes. The voice actors they used were totally over the top, and the dialogue was quite humorous. The thing about the old lead miniatures I remembered most fondly were the little stories that were on the backs of the boxes. the names of the characters were often hilarious, and the stories themselves were usually quite funny. Whoever they had writing their material was a talented humorist. 

I have returned from my campaign to unite the lands of the Gothy-Vampie-Peoples in Eastern Gothtania. After much brooding and soul searching, I finally met lord Freddie Von Kruger and Count Ruthmelster Carstark in the field outside their final stronghold. 

A few battles with my undead hordes had given me an altogether new breed of tactics unlike anything in my usual Total War playbook. I have taken to placing the 4 or 5 zombie units in my army at my center, flanking with 4 to 6 skeleton swordsmen to the left, no less than 3 swords in reserve center, and direwolves to right with any screening fliers. My general holds center in reserve.

This formation, with the center quite exposed forward from the flanks by design, tends to draw combat from the enemy and break his line quite thoroughly. The zombies are my weakest unit, but also the most dense, so the enemy begins setting upon them and enveloping. This leaves their center open in turn to counter charge by my swords. Of course, now my flanks are in potential disarray, which I remedy by assessing which of the enemy's units are most exposed and applying my reserves there. My right, if not challenged by the enemy's cavalry or fliers, I have since sent in a broad sweep and they now in turn take the enemy in his left, shoring that seemingly vulnerable flank.

This is a stratagem I would normally not take, but the cheap and sprawling nature of the zombie units combined with their unlikeliness to quit the field allows me to employ this brutal tactic which produces high casualties for myself while all but ensuring that the enemy is utterly crushed.

As I met the two aforementioned foes at their last stronghold, we each set the field with two armies with him being reinforced by the settlement garrison. Von Kruger had taken possession of a steep hill, and was fielding some 40 units while I set about with closer to 30. Immediately I realized that my typical plan of attack would be far too perilous and prone to collapse for this grand an encounter, so I made what I think a bold decision.

As usual, I sent my zombie units (approximately 6) to the bottom of the hill to form my center. To their immediate flanks I set one unit each of swords. In reserve I placed my Generals, my large beast, and a unit of superior skeleton guards.

To the extreme left of the hill (from my vantage) I sent some 6 units of swords screened by two fliers.

To the extreme right of the hill I first sent 2 units of zombies to the summit of an adjacent rise that was unoccupied.

To the median right I placed 6 units of swords flanked by six units of direwolves, my cavalry.

From this irregular formation I hoped to split the battle into effectively four fronts as the enemy set to defend his position. If he was going to stay atop that hill, I was determined to make him defend every inch of it and not allow him to concentrate his best units in one defensive front with his superior numbers allowing envelopment of my troops.

He did not do as I expected, choosing rather than to keep me off the summit that he would consolidate into a tight formation atop the hill with light wings to slow envelopment. Needless to say, I cared not for the situation as it was.

In response, I sent my extreme left further away from center and in a sweep towards the rear of the hill. I also sent my median right after the zombie units occupying the adjacent hill, while sending my center in a short advance up the hill.

The effect was that every part of my formation was now exposed and seemed unable to assist the other. Von Kruger took the bait.

He sent screening forces at my left and (now unified) right wing to harass them as the bulk of his army charged down the hill at my meager center in an effort to defeat both of my Generals and cripple my army.

What Von Kruger failed to take into account was that while he was sending no less than 25 units down the hill towards my mere 12 was that he would be unable to effectively envelop my line quickly with my spread swordsmen and the depth of the zombie units would severely arrest any assault.

Towards each of my wings he sent the remainder of his forces. On my left, I engaged with my swordsmen and fliers appropriately with a small numerical advantage. To my right, I advanced my units to meet his approximately equal force but at the last moment set my direwolves to break towards the center and take the enemy in the rear. It was not enough, however, to break his line, only arrest their progress enveloping my center. My enemy made a mistake. If he had accepted the inevitable losses and stayed the course, I may not have triumphed. But he sent some 6 spearmen to break off from his newly formed left wing to give chase to my direwolves, perhaps fearing I meant to turn them back around on them.

This took those spears out of the fight entirely while they gave chase over no small distance, and by the time they were reentering the fray I'd pulled my direwolves back from my suddenly secured center flank and sent them 'round my rear to reinforce my left. This allowed my superior swordsmen on my right wing to make short work of his remaining zombie fodder and advance in goodly numbers upon the enemy's rear.

On my left wing the fighting was more severe, with the combatants mostly consisting of similar skeletal swordsmen, but my fliers proved a decisive difference and before long they too were marching to take the enemy from behind, though in decidedly less sound condition.

My center had turned to a bloodbath, with my zombies being cut down by the score and my skeletal warriors barely holding their ground with constant reinforcement (both magical and melee) from my two generals. My beast also did fine work, as I sent him out for short bursts of violence when a unit appeared near to rout. The enemy quite out numbered me and while their encirclement was delayed to the right flank by the timely arrival of my direwolves, it was all I could manage to keep the left from collapsing from the weight of the vastly superior numbers. In this my generals, reserved skeletal guards, and beast were of tantamount importance.

After crippling losses and more than one close call to the entire center being put to flight, over the crest of the hill came my right wing and shortly behind them my more invested left. Now they were the ones charging down the hill, putting it's momentum to their advantage as they encircled the envelopers.

It was cold, a butcher's work. But the day was won.

I lost no fewer than 1,200 fighting corpses. The enemy? Nearer 4,000.

Freddie Von Kruger and Ruthelmester Carstark bent the knee.

Yeah, you're basically using VC as they are intended to be; zombies as expendable meatshields that tie down enemies and buy you time, other units to deliver the killing blow. It gets even more effective once you grab the more powerful units like Grave Guards and Vargeists, and even more fun when you face non-undead enemies since all VC units cause fear, to which the undead are immune, but seeing Orc Boyz rout when they're at 60-70% HP is a common sight. Then unleash the dire wolves.

It's why zombies never stop being useful. Skeletons get outdated, big time, when you get the far superior Grave Guards. But a wall of zombies can tie down even elite infantry or cavalry for a long time.

Getting your zombies massacred is a good thing (that along with never ending a battle when the victory button shows up but chasing the enemy for ages) it allows you to drive up the dead number until you get to recruit top tier units with raise dead. A couple big fights in the same place and you'll have monsters and skeleton knights ready to go.

Uh, oh... I think I might already be getting bored. The game is kind of a welcome breath of air for a TW game as far as the fantastical setting and more fun combat, but I have no interest in these factions and it's kind of robbing me of satisfaction.

I'm playing as the vampires basically as default because I hate dwarves, despise goblins, and the humans are waaay to peacocky for my taste. And I have no interest in Chaos, though I did buy the expansion.

IDK, I just already have the feeling that there won't be a whole lot of replayability for me.

Got any suggestions for a PvP weapon for Dark Souls 3?  Been using the Drake Blood Greatsword (or something like that).  But it's a bit too slow against most opponents.  Trying to get to lvl 2 in Mound Masters to finish the Pyro achievement.  Thinking about switching my uchi to poison.  Or maybe going parry heavy, in which  case, what's the best option for the off hand weapon.  About SL 125 with 40 Dex and Str, 16 Int, and the rest in VIT and END.  Have most every weapon and a slab still to use, so other than a few boss soul weapons I may have put somewhere else, should be pretty flexible.

After releasing the new Engineers update for Elite: Dangerous, the producers were taken aback when AI characters started researching preposterous new weapons (like pulse-fire mass drivers, which is the spaceborne equivalent of a gatling gun rocket launcher), developed new interdiction tech and started dragging players out of supercruise and slaughtering them without mercy. They had to pull the entire update and start reworking it before the game's AI wiped out every player in the game.

Hilarious. And terrifying.

Archived