Video Games: "Completeness" becomes important somehow

Rhom

17 hours ago, briantw said:

The only reason I didn't do NG+ with Witcher 3 is because the base game took me 101 hours to do everything.  I did the main quest, every witcher quest, found every notice board and did all those quests, every secondary quest I found, fully upgraded two sets of witcher armor, hit almost every question mark in Velen and all in White Orchard and Kaer Morhen, and did a lot of the treasure hunts.  I knew if I started a NG+ I'd never have any hope of finishing it again.

I'm thinking of another run through TW3 merely because I think I ended up with the wrong woman. I like Triss as a character more than Yennefer, and I didn't realise I could be somewhat honourable end things with Yennefer until after Triss left. Of course I don't know anything about the previous games so I don;t know who's meant to be with Geralt or if there's no right choice or whatever.

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'm thinking of another run through TW3 merely because I think I ended up with the wrong woman. I like Triss as a character more than Yennefer, and I didn't realise I could be somewhat honourable end things with Yennefer until after Triss left. Of course I don't know anything about the previous games so I don;t know who's meant to be with Geralt or if there's no right choice or whatever.

I stupidly tried to romance both of them, although that did give me one of the best scenes in the game.

So I am really enjoying Blood and Wine so far... but yo this expansion is riddled with bugs. The three I can name right now are literally making the game unplayable:

1) The lock on system doesn't work anymore for me... I really liked using it to make combat seem more "cinematic". 

2) I love the music in this game, but a bug causes the same track to play over and over again (its a dungeon theme from what I can tell) in all areas, and even in combat. I have to change areas to fix it (go to a area in the base game) but this "fix" is time consuming and annoying, as I have to do it pretty much everytime I load a save (if I die), if I travel or if I rest. 

3) The euphoria mutation is the one I am running with, but it seems to dissapear the first combat encounter after its is applied, so I would have to rest (clear toxicity) just to use it again. 

I hope a patch comes soon, can't believe the expansion arrived this broken.

I don't think there's anything likely to come up at E3 that's of interest to me. If Amy Hennig came on stage and said there would be a full Legacy of Kain remake for 8th gen consoles I would be pretty excited about that. But I don't think that's gonna happen.

Stuff revealed so far:

Final Fantasy XII is getting a full HD makeover for PS4 (and probably PC) for release in 2017. It will be released as a new edition called The Zodiac Age.

XCOM 2 is getting PS4 and XB1 versions, surprising no-one.

A stand-alone version of The Witcher III's Gwent card game is coming out.

Apparently there will be a substantially upgraded and updated version of Skyrim (including the expansions) for XB1 and PS4.

Saint's Row developers Volition are making a superhero-themed, open-world spin-off called Agents of Mayhem.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Stuff revealed so far:

Final Fantasy XII is getting a full HD makeover for PS4 (and probably PC) for release in 2017. It will be released as a new edition called The Zodiac Age.

XCOM 2 is getting PS4 and XB1 versions, surprising no-one.

A stand-alone version of The Witcher III's Gwent card game is coming out.

Apparently there will be a substantially upgraded and updated version of Skyrim (including the expansions) for XB1 and PS4.

Saint's Row developers Volition are making a superhero-themed, open-world spin-off called Agents of Mayhem.

I wish they had just done this for Final Fantasy VII.  That's all the fanbase has ever wanted.  Going with this odd episodic quasi action game approach makes me nervous.

The Gwent card game is a great idea. They do need to refine the mechanics a bit (no sense in strength 10 cards being as easy to play as strength 1 ones) but it's actually a pretty solid minigame.

My most anticipated game isn't from E3, but from EA's own EA Play conference, where we should (finally!) learn more about Mass Effect Andromeda. That is indeed today the 12th, I think. Gotta be on the lookout.

Amazing how terrible and little to show EA press conferences always are. Thing is, I'm really pumped for the new Mass Effect and that gameplay footage of Battlefield 1 actually looked good; but that conference did none of it any favors.

So after Mass Effect 4 are we going to get Mass Effect the MMORPG? Some bits of the narration in the trailer hint at something along those lines. I really enjoyed the ME multiplayer, which is bascially PvE fights in an MMORPG, and in a lot of ways the ME universe is ripe for an MMO. I would be bloody sorely tempted to get into a ME MMORPG. If they implemented crossplay for all platforms it would make for a pretty big potential subscriber base.

59 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So after Mass Effect 4 are we going to get Mass Effect the MMORPG? Some bits of the narration in the trailer hint at something along those lines. I really enjoyed the ME multiplayer, which is bascially PvE fights in an MMORPG, and in a lot of ways the ME universe is ripe for an MMO. I would be bloody sorely tempted to get into a ME MMORPG. If they implemented crossplay for all platforms it would make for a pretty big potential subscriber base.

Na, it's not an MMO. So many people would lose their shit if it was. Bioware will implement bigger areas, like in ME1 done right I suspect, with a focus on exploration. Hopefully not too much of a focus, that was a flaw of Inquisition.

Still, was hoping for more info on Andromeda. All the trailers so far have been pretty vague, and the game is supposed to release Q1 2017.

2 hours ago, Jasta11 said:

Na, it's not an MMO. So many people would lose their shit if it was. Bioware will implement bigger areas, like in ME1 done right I suspect, with a focus on exploration. Hopefully not too much of a focus, that was a flaw of Inquisition.

Still, was hoping for more info on Andromeda. All the trailers so far have been pretty vague, and the game is supposed to release Q1 2017.

I didn't think ME 4 would be an MMO, I'm just wondering if Bioware is thinking about putting out an MMO later on. 

Inquisition was a flawed crossbreed in terms of semi-openworldness. They should have gone with a Witcher type approach there. You can ride, or walk, across the entire continent if you want, but for the most part you really just want to fast travel to the places you need to be. At least if Inquisition was like that then having a mount would have at least been useful. ME can't do tjhat of course, since you are travelling from planet to planet, but planets should be more explorable, with meaningful reasons to explore.

This is inspiring me to finally get the last couple of trophies I need to platinum Mass Effect 1. 

24 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I didn't think ME 4 would be an MMO, I'm just wondering if Bioware is thinking about putting out an MMO later on. 

Inquisition was a flawed crossbreed in terms of semi-openworldness. They should have gone with a Witcher type approach there. You can ride, or walk, across the entire continent if you want, but for the most part you really just want to fast travel to the places you need to be. At least if Inquisition was like that then having a mount would have at least been useful. ME can't do tjhat of course, since you are travelling from planet to planet, but planets should be more explorable, with meaningful reasons to explore.

This is inspiring me to finally get the last couple of trophies I need to platinum Mass Effect 1. 

After the less than stellar performance of The Old Republic, I'm pretty sure EA has swore off MMOs entirely. It's a declining genre anyway, even World of Warcraft is starting to lose its subscriber base last I heard and is no longer as much of Blizzard's flagship game.

53 minutes ago, Jasta11 said:

After the less than stellar performance of The Old Republic, I'm pretty sure EA has swore off MMOs entirely. It's a declining genre anyway, even World of Warcraft is starting to lose its subscriber base last I heard and is no longer as much of Blizzard's flagship game.

Or you could say things have evolved a bit from MMO into persistent world, like Destiny and The Division. An evolution on standard multiplayer introducing MMO elements, and as a form of maintaining revenue releasing an annual DLC package rather than charging a subscription. The subscription model is perhaps dying out, but I think there's still a substantial market for persistent world games.

Does anyone know how the Elder Scrolls MMO is going?

Dishonored 2 looks really good. It looks like they took everything that was great about the first game, expanded on it, and threw in a whole bunch of new mechanics, even better level design, and focused more on the story.* My big question that I'm sure of yet is just how different is the game if you play as Corvo vs. Emily. Do they have the same abilities, or does Emily have the new ones they showed and Corvo has the same ones as last time? And does the story carry out the same way or are their big differences; does the one you don't play still play a role through the game?

(*I really like the story of the first Dishonored, but having Corvo be silent meant that by necessity a lot of it was kind of in the background. Having Corvo and Emily be fully voiced this time means a lot more can be done.)

Not much else from Bethesda did it for me, but that's because I'm not a big Quake guy and the new Prey (no connection to the old Prey apparently) is not the kind of game I'll play. Not sure who would really get excited for remastered Skyrim or the Fallout DLC they showed.

On the Overwatch front, I've mostly stopped playing Mercy. Since she mostly watches her teammates all match, it was making it too obvious and frustrating to me how bad so many of the pub DPS players are. And that's not fun and I don't want to become the kind of player that starts telling teammates how bad they are. So now when we need a healer I'll usually go Lucio, since at least I can more directly affect the enemy and take care of business myself. He also has a really fun playstyle.

I've also slowly turned from a Junkrat main into a Winston main. Winston perfectly matches to the way I want to play, my really good situational awareness, and my really bad aiming reflexes. Plus, teams almost always need someone to play tank, so he usually fits right in. He's a really good counter to most of the squishy DPS characters that so many people want to play (even a lot of McCrees and Reapers, who should beat me, because they are so popular there so many bad players picking those characters), so I end up having an outsized impact. I'm sure that'll be different in the higher levels of ranked play, but I probably won't get there anyway. 

At this point, I'm perfectly comfortable playing 3 of the 4 supports (not Zenyatta), 3 of the 5 tanks (not D.Va or Zarya), 2 of the 6 defenses (Junkrat and Torbjorn), and 1 of the 6 offenses (Tracer). Which is pretty good I think, but I really need to get better at some more of the defensive and offensive characters so I have more flexibility to counter opponents. I don't have too many options though. Hanzo, Widowmaker, and McCree are non-starters, I'm at too much of a disadvantage using a controller on PC. I don't think that should be the case for Bastion, but I still play terrible as him. Mei's controls are fine, but I can't seem to get the hang of what she does. I started out thinking I was pretty good as Soldier 76 but I realized I'm not; I'm okay but below average, might be a controller thing, might be the character himself. Pharrah I should be good at, but I'm terrible. Not totally sure why. It could be that I put too many hours into Junkrat beforehand so I just want to play her as him. Reaper I'm sure I'd be fine as, but he's such a tool and so many others want to play him anyway; so no thanks. And Genji I don't have a great sense of yet. But since he's one of the Bastion counters and there's still so many of those (and they shred Winston), I really would like to get good with him.

Archived