Video Games: "Completeness" becomes important somehow

Rhom

This is probably not the right time for me to get a console, yes? I used to be a pretty regular gamer with the xbox 360 but I didn't get the Xbox one. I'm at a place right now where I can make that purchase - should I wait for the xbox one slim? Or whatever more powerful console they are going to release in the next year or two? 

What do you guys think?

Haha Fez, the two tanks I do play are the two you don't. I normally go D.Va on offense and Zarya on defense now, although sometimes D.Va for both.  I've put in much more time on her than everyone else combined and I see the reward of that work in how I play on her - I'm much better than on anyone else, and am playing her at a pretty high level when I'm playing well, although my aim is still questionable.  Aim is my biggest issue on Zarya too, but I'm getting much better at using shields frequently, both on myself and others, and ducking in and out and using the secondary fire as suppressive mortar fire essentially.  Neither of them are really the ideal frontline tank though, it's best if someone else is also playing Reinhardt or Roadhog, D.Va especially works much much better as a hyper aggressive brawling flanker instead of trying to play meat shield and it shows in often topping damage with her.

Genji is amazing but I haven't played him enough to get any good, I'm finding it really does take a fair bit of play to start getting a sense for the characters and what you can do with them.  Lucio I'm getting better at recognising when I can slam onto speed mode, run behind someone and punt them off for an environment kill, or ducking outside (on Lijiang Tower for example) to break line of fire, then wall sliding along the outside of the capture point and coming back in through the window to keep healing after the target has changed.  Zarya it's all about getting used to the shielding mechanic and charging up your weapon, along with getting used to how to aim it...the target is basically a fine needle point it seems.  Pharah is another who is situationally excellent, and normally the attacker I'll try use (other than Genji) and just won't have the impact others do, I get killed way too much.  Mei I've started improving on though, had some good plays last time I used her.

Raja,

IMO, now is the exact worst time to get a console. There's just too many unknowns about what the PS4 Neo and the more powerful Xbox One will be (maybe we will find out more today, despite what Microsoft and Sony say, but I doubt it). Even if those more powerful consoles don't interest, once they are out I think its very likely that the current versions of the consoles will get a price cut. Especially the current Xbox One since it will also have to compete with the slim.

My big concern would be that this turns out to be a new 3DS situation. Where you can 'play' new games on the older console versions, but they are just terrible and only work on the new consoles versions. On the other hand, its also possible those new versions bring nothing to the table and there's no reason to get them. Just too many variables right now.

On top of that, there's barely any console exclusive games, almost everything is also on the PC. 

That said, if you don't have a gaming PC, don't want a gaming PC, want a console now, and don't mind that you may need to get another one in about a year if you want to keep up with the latest games, go for it. There's certainly a back catalog that'll take you a while to work your way through anyway.

karaddin,

Yeah, I've been told Zarya is absolutely amazing once you get the hang of her, I just haven't been able to do it. I suspect I could if I put the time in (though, again, aim might be an issue), but I've already basically got 3 tanks down so I'd rather put my learning time into some other character types. Also, I can't pull any time from Winston, he's just too fun; especially when I'm killing enemies I have no business beating but they panic in the face of that monkey rage.

D.Va's shots have huge spread. It doesn't matter how well you aim, you have to be really close to hit most of your shots. I haven't used Zarya, but I have to agree that D'Va isn't for holding down the line. I think Reinhardt is the most well rounded and Winston is best for attack. Roadhog seems more useful as a secondary tank rather than as a primary. 

I like using Bastion. The opponent just melts when I hold my crosshair over them. Getting into a good position is most of the difficulty to using Bastion for me. I learnt the hard way that it isn't wise to respawn as Bastion as defense if you don't have a teleporter up unless you are giving up the point or really trust your teammates to hold while you crawl back. I thought of swapping, but I had a full ultimate bar. I really should have, because even though the damage is still fairly decent undeployed, Bastion is rather fragile.

Found out how to look at my winning percentage the other day. I have a 20% win percentage as Mercy and I think 35% as Lucio. Never used Symmetra or Zenyatta (once). I'm scared to go support now. 20%? That's just embarrassing. 

I really should learn how to use more heroes, but I feel that I'll let my team down if I play someone unfamiliar, but then there are situations where I can't play the heroes I need to, which is also letting the team down. :crying:

Fez, 

Yeah, even as I asked that question, I sort of knew it's probably the wrong time to buy a console. My biggest reason for getting a Xbox one as opposed to the PC is the community. Singapore has a pretty small Xbox community, but it's an active one. I miss playing games like Battlefield, COD, Fifa with players that I actually know every weekend. I could probably wait a year on it to see where things are at that point. That battlefield 1 gameplay looks so good though :( 

I'm at 57% on D.Va (and ranked ~600 for medals earnt) from a large enough sample size that I feel it's actually somewhat accurate (140 games), compared to 60% on Lucio but from only 43. Mercy and Zarya are both low 40's though and Zen is way down at 25% from 16 games so he really hasn't been a success for me.  I think Zen needs a more capable team around him, Mercy is reliant on team at least staying in line of sight...of the healers only Lucio is able to keep himself alive and can pump some serious healing.  A game tonight on Lijiang Tower I managed to crack 13k healed, and had one stint in the outdoors garden one with the bridges where my team was wiped and I kept overtime alive for the entire respawn + run back time just running around the capture point on my own.

And D.Va's spread is large sure, but you aren't killing anyone with it if you aren't aiming well enough to be hitting with most pellets (and yes, right up in their face).  I either fly into someone to try run right up behind them before I start firing when I've flanked, the latter is ideal as it lets you fly after them as soon as they get out of your short range.  And aim for headshots at all times.

Most of the characters I play at least semi-regularly I'm in the 50-55% win rate zone (min. 10 games). The two big exceptions are Winston, sitting pretty at 64% after 50-ish games, and Mercy down at 39% after 40-ish games (which I really don't think is my fault). I think Tracer will get better too, she's exactly at 50% right now, but I started off with a bunch of bad losses while still figuring her out. Also I'm at a lovely 0% on Pharrah, only across 8 games, but it still suggests I'm missing something there. Thanks to Mercy, Pharrah, and some failures on characters I don't touch much (e.g. two terrible games as McCree), my overall win percentage is only 46% right now.

Raja,

I get that. I do kinda think if you are aware of and accept the potential downsides, you probably should just get a console now though, if you can afford it. Playing games is fun, if you're into it, and life's too short to skip having fun (unless you have a good reason). You just need to be aware of what you're getting into and what may happen in the near future.

47 minutes ago, Fez said:

My big concern would be that this turns out to be a new 3DS situation. Where you can 'play' new games on the older console versions, but they are just terrible and only work on the new consoles versions. On the other hand, its also possible those new versions bring nothing to the table and there's no reason to get them. Just too many variables right now.

Obviously nothing's confirmed yet as they haven't even announced the things, but all the rumors I read said both companies would be avoiding that mistake. I can't speak for the PS4 but the Xbox could really use the processor boost. Sometimes navigating the menus is annoyingly laggy.

Hehe, I've a couple of 100% from one game played, but I play Reinhardt and Mercy most games, so its definitely not from a small sample size. I can blame my team, but at this percentage, I have to take my fair share of the blame. I'm just plain bad at Lucio, although that may be more of me not understanding how Lucio works. I won my single game with Zen, but I realised later on that I was actually doing horribly because the F1 help didn't say anything about only having 1 orb each at a time and I kept spamming (removing and replacing) them. 

Regarding D.Va, my point was that you can't hit them even if you have an aimbot. I'm pretty confident in my tracking aim if nothing else. Maybe we are talking past each other, but I am really certain that distance is more of a factor than aim. Shooting from a distance also causes me to be a stupid sitting duck while I try to finish off my target, so I'm a little sensitive from that as well.

On 6/12/2016 at 6:57 AM, Ruhail said:

What does everyone want to see most from this year's E3?

oh thats easy! for half of Playstation promises to stop being vaporware (I'm still salty over The Last Guardian, can you tell?) and Squinix to stop teasin with things of nostalgia already

.....then again, I'm also the weirdo thats hoping Telltale's s3 Walking Dead will still have a Vita port. Because other 2 seasons were and got really used to playing it on the train

13 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Or you could say things have evolved a bit from MMO into persistent world, like Destiny and The Division. An evolution on standard multiplayer introducing MMO elements, and as a form of maintaining revenue releasing an annual DLC package rather than charging a subscription. The subscription model is perhaps dying out, but I think there's still a substantial market for persistent world games.

Does anyone know how the Elder Scrolls MMO is going?

Does anyone even play Destiny? Is that still a thing?

PF - yup we were definitely talking past each other. It's the double whammy of her spread and fall off, I think it's 7 pellets doing 3 damage each at point blank range, drops to 2 at like 5m and then to 1 at 10 (not certain on distances but they're short), which at that point you're only going to have a couple hitting for 1-2 damage per shot. It's just not worth even trying for the most part once they're past the mid range.  Normally once someone is that fair boosters are back up and you can chase

4 hours ago, Fez said:

Dishonored 2 looks really good. It looks like they took everything that was great about the first game, expanded on it, and threw in a whole bunch of new mechanics, even better level design, and focused more on the story.* My big question that I'm sure of yet is just how different is the game if you play as Corvo vs. Emily. Do they have the same abilities, or does Emily have the new ones they showed and Corvo has the same ones as last time? And does the story carry out the same way or are their big differences; does the one you don't play still play a role through the game?

(*I really like the story of the first Dishonored, but having Corvo be silent meant that by necessity a lot of it was kind of in the background. Having Corvo and Emily be fully voiced this time means a lot more can be done.)

Not much else from Bethesda did it for me, but that's because I'm not a big Quake guy and the new Prey (no connection to the old Prey apparently) is not the kind of game I'll play. Not sure who would really get excited for remastered Skyrim or the Fallout DLC they showed.

I have never really understood the whole silent protagonist thing.  I mean, it's fine in games with minimal to no story like Doom where you're just killing stuff, but in story-based games the only series to ever actually do it right is Half-Life.  In every other story-based game I've played with a silent protagonist it just seems like they're doing it because Half-Life did it.  It made no sense in Dishonored and added nothing to the game.

The exception is big RPGs that have you choose dialog options for your character.  You may be technically silent, but the other characters still hear your character even if you don't and they react to him.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Most of the characters I play at least semi-regularly I'm in the 50-55% win rate zone (min. 10 games). The two big exceptions are Winston, sitting pretty at 64% after 50-ish games, and Mercy down at 39% after 40-ish games (which I really don't think is my fault). I think Tracer will get better too, she's exactly at 50% right now, but I started off with a bunch of bad losses while still figuring her out. Also I'm at a lovely 0% on Pharrah, only across 8 games, but it still suggests I'm missing something there. Thanks to Mercy, Pharrah, and some failures on characters I don't touch much (e.g. two terrible games as McCree), my overall win percentage is only 46% right now.

Have you figured out how to keep flying/hovering and not just shoot up and then fall down? That is one of the keys to Pharah. My aim is basically that I cannot hit a barn door in broad daylight and with a good wind, and I have really buckled down with Pharah and am now approaching a 40% hit rate with rockets (my average is 36%, no joke). Yes, I am terribad. On the other hand I can dislodge more stationary and larger targets like Bastion, D.Va and Roadhog while snipers ROFLstomp me. In any case, I find good control of the flying, prediction of where people are moving (very difficult) and map knowledge (where are there good perches you can land, reload and bomb from behind) are must knows for Pharah. If there are competent Widowmakers or Soildier 76 on the opposing team, just swap. Otherwise you are in for a world of hurt, at least at my (admittedly very poor) skill level.

On the other hand I am doing fairly well with D.Va. 63% win percentage, 201 medals over 83 games. Had a shit streak of losses the other day but before that Lucio was almost at the same level, sitting around 60%. Mercy on the other hand was at 39% and I think she has sunk further now. :crying: I almost always joke with my team mates that me on Mercy is a guaranteed loss. :P

Glad to hear they're making a State of Decay sequel with multiplayer. I'll probably end up getting Stardew Valley for Xbox one also. Though I probably shouldn't as I'm sure it will quickly eat up all my gaming time. 

Archived