BEST COVERS EVAR!!!!

Manhole Eunuchsbane

2 hours ago, matt b said:

Here's one that just occurred to me: Derek Trucks Band doing Sahib Teri Bandi:

For comparison, the original:

I absolutely love Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. I was introduced to his stuff like a lot of Westerner through Peter Gabriel's music. I had never heard that cover. Really great guitar work.

9 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

For bonus... here is another cover by them, Niel Young and Crazy Horse's Down By the River. The bass player is in the pocket, and the drummer is Jerry Marotta who played for Peter Gabriel, Stevie Nicks, Elvis Costello, Iggy Pop, and a ton of other people... 

This one is truly wonderful, thank you. 1200 Curfews will be my next buy.

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Post up some of your favorite musical covers. I'll lead with a little 10,000 Maniacs...

I freely admit I had no idea this was a cover...huh...the things you learn.

23 hours ago, Myshkin said:

David Bowie...

I kinda like Nirvana's cover of Man Who Sold the World...

And the greatest cover, possibly ever, is Smashing Pumpkins on "Landslide".

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I freely admit I had no idea this was a cover...huh...the things you learn.

I had always thought of it as a Springsteen song, but apparently the original recording is by Patti Smith (although Springsteen did write it).

While I was watching the 10000 Maniacs version Youtube threw up this verison by Garbage and Screaming Females, which I hadn't heard before but also seems pretty decent, although I don't think it's the best version.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

I had always thought of it as a Springsteen song, but apparently the original recording is by Patti Smith (although Springsteen did write it).

While I was watching the 10000 Maniacs version Youtube threw up this verison by Garbage and Screaming Females, which I hadn't heard before but also seems pretty decent, although I don't think it's the best version.

Yeah, what led me to start this post was a story one of the morning drive guys was telling about Springsteen and the E Street Band and the Patti Smith Group who were both recording at the same studio. Apparently Springsteen and his band had a couple of goes at it and they just didn't care for it. Springsteen called it "just another lovesong". So anyways, he walked the composition next door to Patti Smith and asked her if she wanted it. And the rest is history. 

On 5/28/2016 at 8:55 AM, lessthanluke said:

Came in here to post this. Holy Diverrr. Much prefer it to the original personally.

Yeah far superior to the original I think, Howard Jones absolutely nails it. 

On 5/28/2016 at 8:56 AM, lessthanluke said:

How have I never seen this before?!

It was from a tour they did with Heaven Shall Burn where each band decided to cover 1 song during the other band's set. Heaven Shall Burn covered Unrest. Thankfully impericon had a great crew recording it because it's the only good footage and it's such a crazy good performance from Parkway. 

We have a radio station here in australia called triple j that runs a segment called like a version every friday morning where they bring a different band in to perform an original and a cover. If you look it up on youtube prepare to get lost for a few hours.

How could I forget Bowie's version of Jacques Brel's Amsterdam?

As a side note, every human being on the planet should own the Bowie at the Beeb compilation album. Also, do yourself a favor and splurge on the 3 disc set.

Archived