Which is worse for Tommen - the Faith or Cersei?

Pretty much what the title says. I know most of us are rooting for Cersei/Jaime/Olenna alliance against High Sparrow, but when you consider Tommen's interests (by which I mean his desire to become a good king, not the one to tumble with Marg all the time), which of these advisers are going to make the worst damage? When an external threat comes, will the Faith's support be any useful? Cersei's rule has already helped to alienate the Iron bank.

if you look at just the show then the faith. Cersei since her walk of shame has acted more rational than she does in the book.  further, the faith's only goal seems to be destroying any high born they can.  The faith militant began by removing the High Septon, which cleared the path for the HS.  Then they basically made Cersei a running joke with the commoners, Jamie has been removed from his position, and the Tyrells were publicly humiliated.  But the Faith is hypocritical.  Lancel slept with Cersei (family), spied for Tyrion, and did several other things yet he simply needed to repent and was accepted into the fold.  His word is also taken at face value and no other checks have to be done to verify what he says (ie I slept with Cersei).  The same for the guy Loras slept with they just take his statements at value and assume margery and Loras are lying when they say it didn't happen.  granted this guy knew of Loras birthmark so that helps out but still.  To sum all that up, Cersei has acted more rational since the Walk of Shame and seems to be biding her time, so how dangerous she really will be go forward is a bit of a mystery.  The Faith seems to be fanatics and it is literally join us or die.  Therefore, the bigger threat to Tommen is the faith it seems.

The Faith, imo. Unfortunately only few people can see it atm - Cersei, Jaime, Olenna, maybe Margaery and Kevan as well. As Soccer69 said, HS only uses Tommen to gain more power, get rid of his enemies and the nobility. I suppose HS's ultimate goal is to eliminate the nobility class and make the Seven Kingdoms a Papal-like State, eventually getting rid of Tommen as well and crowning himself a king or so, while still claiming "this is the gods will". And the common people will cheer that the gods make their will known so well. Cersei might not be the best ruler and advisor ever but she loves Tommen and would protect him at any cost while HS just doesn't gives a damn about Tommen, he just wants the power.

The Faith, obviously. 

What's Cersei's biggest weakness on the show? It's her love for her children. She put up with all of Joffrey's hideous acts, and still loved him as a mother would love a son. So I don't think, despite Tommen being a wimp, that Cersei is going to have any issues with loving him outright still. 

The Faith on the other hand? Quite clearly they are willing to step on anyone and everyone to get what they want, including the King. The High Sparrow is a king manipulator, and is likely going to get Tommen to do as he pleases. 

My guess = the crown vs the faith will somehow end up with Margaery dying, and that will lead to grief-ridden Tommen killing himself, fulfilling Cersei's prophecy. 

How is the Faith going to make Tommen a good king? They want no kings at all, will undermine his authority, sabotage his power and when it's possible for them and he is no longer useful for them - get rid of him.

Cersei OTOH has concern for Tommen's well-being, can't really overrule him if she tried (we've seen with Joffrey, and now she isn't even a regent anymore), and weird as it sounds in the show is actually one of the most sensible people in KL right now.

Tommen will become a "good king" in the people's eyes through the Faith's manipulation.  Tommen has only seen his brother as king who abused the people and was literally hated by everyone. However, the people have lived under the crown for so long that people still largely look to the King and crown for guidance and protection. The HS sees this and simply plans on using the King as a power puppet to be manipulated to do his bidding. While this happens he can slowly begin to more and more power towards the Faith, while Tommen still believes he is being a "good king," in the people's eyes.

2 hours ago, Hos the Hostage said:

Pretty much what the title says. I know most of us are rooting for Cersei/Jaime/Olenna alliance against High Sparrow, but when you consider Tommen's interests (by which I mean his desire to become a good king, not the one to tumble with Marg all the time), which of these advisers are going to make the worst damage? When an external threat comes, will the Faith's support be any useful? Cersei's rule has already helped to alienate the Iron bank.

The Faith is the puppeteer who doesn't care for its puppet. Tommen is just a replaceable figurehead for them. The show!Cersei at least loves her son and will fight for him to the death. 

The rule under than Lannister's surely can't be a good one.  And hasn't been.

Even if the High Sparrow is manipulating him or is up to something, whatever, surely 100x better than whichever Lannister or Tyrrell gets their chance on the thrown..

9 hours ago, Soccer69 said:

Tommen will become a "good king" in the people's eyes through the Faith's manipulation.  Tommen has only seen his brother as king who abused the people and was literally hated by everyone. However, the people have lived under the crown for so long that people still largely look to the King and crown for guidance and protection. The HS sees this and simply plans on using the King as a power puppet to be manipulated to do his bidding. While this happens he can slowly begin to more and more power towards the Faith, while Tommen still believes he is being a "good king," in the people's eyes.

That's actually a good point. 

Something I just remembered - the public were cheering when the alliance between crown and the faith was announced. They were very much in support of it, and that public opinion could be something that the High Sparrow uses to try and encourage Tommen to trust him mre and more

Margery can't hurt him until they have a child at the least. Olenn is the same.

Cersei is incapable, except perhaps under the unlikely condition that he's about to be killed horribly anyway; and it would spare him suffering.

The High Sparrow is quite intelligent and, with Tommen in his pocket, would have every reason to keep him safe and no reason to hurt him.

Jamie, maybe. But I think Tommen would have to do a lot more than just strip him of the Kingsguard mantle. Maybe if Tommen lets Cersei die.

As things are now, I think Tommen is most likely to die in an accident. Even the Starks don't really have cause to go after him. And I don't think he'll live long enough for Dany to get to Westeros.

Cersei's worst for Tommen by many, many miles.

As I've said before, allying with the High Sparrow seems like the best move that Tommen has made as king thus far. He gains a strong and incorruptible ally; rescues his queen from imprisonment; endears himself to his people; and eases tensions in a messy situation created by his idiotic mother.

In fact, I fail to see why so many fans want to see the Faith Militant and High Sparrow die. I guess I'm in the minority who views the Faith Militant as the "good guys" in King's Landing, especially after you hear the High Sparrow's perspective and why he choose his path in life.

When we start seeing in the show what the Faith Militant are doing in the books, you might have a different opinion. Personally I love the angles this has brought to the story, but to be realistic it is never a good thing for religion and crown to be on the same page.

Archived