[Spoilers] Criticize Without Repercussion - one last time ;o)

2 hours ago, Apathetic Onlooker said:

Heh... "White Wolf".  I guess we'll add Andrzej Sapkowski to the list of writers being ripped off in this show.

Jon = Geralt confirmed! Next up he's going to drink lots of vodka mutagens and travel to a universe that makes more sense.

2 hours ago, Apathetic Onlooker said:

Heh... "White Wolf".  I guess we'll add Andrzej Sapkowski to the list of writers being ripped off in this show.

Except all Sapkowski ever wrote was Michael Moorcock and Glen Cook fanfiction / plagiarism. But since he was writing in Polish he could literally plagiarize english stuff because he had good reason to beilieve noone who ever read his stuff will read the source material. This was very common with all media in Eastern Europe, not just literature (Yugoslavia, for example, had a thriving punk and heavy metal scene which lived off ripping off foreign songs and having a market which never heard the originals). "The White Wolf" was the nickname of Elic of Melnibone  (a book is even called "The Weird of the White Wolf") who is what Sapkowski's stuff is fanfiction of (among a few other things). (Not that Fantasy in general isn't littered with Elric homages, parodies, and straight-up ripoffs, Martins books are loaded with that, too. The guy who came up with it meant it as a parody of heroes beloved by people with no taste.)

What's funny, though, is that Martins books work on pretty much that same principle. He was ripping off his contemporaries when he wrote most of it, and the books were considered some of the most derivative shlock on the market (a notch above Dungeons and Dragons promo material like RA Salvatore and such, but that's about it), but since he took so long to get on with it both reading as such and the fantasy genre kinda died out so now most folks think fantasy started with him.

It's depressing when you know that him writing this stuff was probably a bitter joke on his part which got way out of hand. I also believe he used to admit it back before it did, too.

I suppose fantasy might actually be rather easy to get into now, you just take any half-decent thing from 40-ish years ago and change the names on stuff. Or not even that, just re-publish under your name, in idk, chinese or russian.

10 minutes ago, lujo said:

What's funny, though, is that Martins books work on pretty much that same principle. He was ripping off his contemporaries when he wrote most of it, and the books were considered some of the most derivative shlock on the market (a notch above Dungeons and Dragons promo material like RA Salvatore and such, but that's about it), but since he took so long to get on with it both reading as such and the fantasy genre kinda died out so now most folks think fantasy started with him.

None of this is true at all. You are inventing things.

Just now, Steelegrave said:

So C+?=A.  We have a new theory that we can spend countless hours debating.  Righteous!

C+L=A. Because Arya looks like Lyanna. This surely fits the timeline of R+E=J theory from a few weeks ago. 

3 hours ago, lujo said:

Except all Sapkowski ever wrote was Michael Moorcock and Glen Cook fanfiction / plagiarism. But since he was writing in Polish he could literally plagiarize english stuff because he had good reason to beilieve noone who ever read his stuff will read the source material. This was very common with all media in Eastern Europe, not just literature (Yugoslavia, for example, had a thriving punk and heavy metal scene which lived off ripping off foreign songs and having a market which never heard the originals). "The White Wolf" was the nickname of Elic of Melnibone  (a book is even called "The Weird of the White Wolf") who is what Sapkowski's stuff is fanfiction of (among a few other things). (Not that Fantasy in general isn't littered with Elric homages, parodies, and straight-up ripoffs, Martins books are loaded with that, too. The guy who came up with it meant it as a parody of heroes beloved by people with no taste.)

It's depressing when you know that him writing this stuff was probably a bitter joke on his part which got way out of hand. I also believe he used to admit it back before it did, too.

Say whaaaaaaa...

3 hours ago, David Selig said:

None of this is true at all. You are inventing things.

No, it's not.

ASoIaF rips off heaps of stuff - Howard, Lovecraft, Morcock. What GRRM has done has made Swords and Sorcery less pulpy by giving it complicated characterisations and plot - but make no mistake, ASoIaF/GoTs has always been pure low fantasy schlock.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing - I loved my Conan comics and Frank Frazetta paintings as a kid.

Just now, Florina Laufeyson said:

The only things i found a little irksome was the lack of blue roses with Lyanna and Varys' really impressive teleportation trick.

It's obvious that Varys has a newer, much improved version of the Littlefinger teleporter.  Version 2.0 or The Teleporter 2000?  The lack of blue roses was a bit sad, maybe they ran out of money on the double blooded Lyanna/bedding blood stains?  The Stark story lines always get the shitting end of the budget stick on props with the show.  

I want to know what's up with Arya and the faces.......did she steal some, is she acquiring them as she goes along from likely candidates, does she do a little hand wave job, like Jaqen did in the second season (ex; glamouring, that thing she never learned to do).  I could vote for handwaving.........as it takes a lot of that with this show.  ;)

23 minutes ago, Stag_legion said:

You are saying Melisandre wasn't pushing for that either?

No, I'm saying Davos acted to save Gendry when he thought Gendry in danger.  He did not act similarly when faced with a similar situation with Shireen

The show since season 3 or 4 always does this now

They make the first 2 or 3 episodes engaging with things actually happening and a somewhat good writing/acting/directing, then they get to the middle of the season and it's an absolute snorefest along with awful directing, get to the last episode or last two episodes and they throw everything at you to cliff hang everyone. The masses forgot about all the shit we had to endure on the other episodes because of one last enganging one

Well, apparently it works everytime
Why waste time building the story and making good midseason episodes when you can just work on the last one and everyone won't give a shit about the bad stuff they saw?

20 minutes ago, ummester said:

No, it's not.

ASoIaF rips off heaps of stuff - Howard, Lovecraft, Morcock. What GRRM has done has made Swords and Sorcery less pulpy by giving it complicated characterisations and plot - but make no mistake, ASoIaF/GoTs has always been pure low fantasy schlock.

I'd say you need to give the pipe a break and try to soberly establish the above as anywhere near the actual truth.

2 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

No, I'm saying Davos acted to save Gendry when he thought Gendry in danger.  He did not act similarly when faced with a similar situation with Shireen

Last I knew Davos wasn't actually omniscient. He didn't know Shireen was going to be burned. Plus D&D forced the situation, they have already done tons of contrived situation merely to hit a certain plot point they wanted.

4 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

I'd say you need to give the pipe a break and try to soberly establish the above as anywhere near the actual truth.

The world book has a Stygia at the end of a river Styx, does it not? These are ripped directly from Hyperborea - no pipe smoking going on here.

10 minutes ago, ummester said:

The world book as a Stygia at the end of a river Styx, does it not? These are ripped directly from Hyperborea - no pipe smoking going on here.

The world what... as a Stygia at end of the river Styx?

One is a Howard reference, the other the name of a river in the Grecian underworld that Howard cribbed to in order to re-brand the Nile. I just... I'm having a hard time understanding your diction, unless you're thinking that an author borrowing from antiquity had his ideas stolen, when both were working from the same-ish historical/mythological influences?

And that makes Martin an uninspired, low-fantasy schlock writer how, precisely?

Archived