College football 2016 - aSECendency

lokisnow

We're a few minutes shy of midnight Eastern Time, so it's not quite exactly one year ago yet...

But close enough to say that exactly one year ago:

Texas loses to Notre Dame 38-3

Just now:
Texas beats Notre Dame 50-47 in 2OT

Great turnaround for the program in a short period of time.

I think that was the best game of the season so far.  I cheer for Texas out of home unity since my woman is a UT alum and serious about it.  As long as they aren't playing WVU of course.  That will never change.  EVER!

But either way, great football game, and glad we are back in college football times.

Huh, thought this thread was dormant last night or else I would have joined in.

Anyways, my college interest was low to start the year but after the USC slaughter and that fucktardery with Kiser last night it's pretty much dead. See y'all next year.

I felt a little better about the "Battle in Bristol" after watching Tennessee struggle with Appy St.  After watching VT against Liberty, some of that optimism has worn off a bit.  Liberty was actually up 13-10 at one point, until VT decided to get their act together.  Final score was 36-13.  The 13 points (2 TDs w/ w missed xp) were both off dumb turnovers.  VT also had 2 more turnovers, for 4 total...which is not good.  2 of those turnovers would have likely resulted in points (both within the redzone).  And VT played mostly backups for the entire 4th quarters...so the score easily could have been 50ish to 0...but it wasn't.  The turnovers were not good, and the offense looked shaky for the first quarter and a half.  So...we'll see.  Tennessee will be favored (I think they're 10 point favorites now), and I'm sure everyone on Gameday will pick them. 

They should be favored based on the performance of each team last year, but nothing would surprise me...from a Tennessee blowout to a significant VT win.  I'll be in Bristol...we'll see what it's like to watch a game from stands that far away...

Well, I do not think that I could be more delighted with the opening weekend so far with the possible exception of seeing the Sooners lose. Although it is always just a bit fun to see your teams main rival get whipped, I just hate the out of conference loss. Houston should have been a Big 12 expansion team by now, but since it would possibly hurt recruitment in that city for other teams, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them passed over for a Florida team. 

As far as my Longhorns go, that was an incredibly exiting game. It just may turn out to be the game of the year for me. I love that programs are scheduling competition early in the season. It is a really smart way to go since the new format for polls is human at the end. If you win the game, you get the bonuses, but if you lose, there is plenty enough time for people to forget about it. 

I still hate the playoff format, but all and all, I think college ball is in pretty good shape right now.

Watched the WVU-Mizzou game this morning on DVR. I concur with S John, Howard is the best we got and looks like he has made some off-season strides. Really, really impressed with the O-Line and JUCO transfer J. Crawford, who I believe is the real deal and will take over as option 1 at RB.

Defense, a whole lot better than I expected, yet this was Mizzou, who has many issues on that side of the ball. I know it's cliche, but it's all I can hope for with the D, get better one week at a time, and it's a 1 game season every week. Focus. That's the key, and I think it'll make up for some of these injuries.

Still sticking with 8-10 wins season in Mo'town. I just like these group of kids and I think they exceeded expectations on Saturday and will continue too. I won't count them out against anyone in the BIGXII. And, a win against BYU should spring us up the rankings. 

As you all know, I'm no fan of Howard, but it's the best we got. And, quite frankly that depressed me more than anything. That Holgs can't find a Damn gunslinger to come in and play a little toss at efficient levels.

3 hours ago, HokieStone said:

I'll be in Bristol...we'll see what it's like to watch a game from stands that far away...

Please give us a report! Should be an interesting experience to say the least.

Getting settled in now for this FSU/Ole Miss game. It's felt weird all weekend waiting to watch my team play. I think I'm just as concerned about Francois as I am about Cook. The back end of OM's secondary is young and will be vulnerable if he can make the throws downfield.  

2 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

As you all know, I'm no fan of Howard, but it's the best we got. And, quite frankly that depressed me more than anything. That Holgs can't find a Damn gunslinger to come in and play a little toss at efficient levels.

We've got one for next season.  It's a big reason why I hope Holgs does well enough to earn a contract extension.  

12 minutes ago, S John said:

We've got one for next season.  It's a big reason why I hope Holgs does well enough to earn a contract extension.  

Yes, in excited about Will PED Grier, also!

ETA: If we let go of Holgs we're fools, complete utter fools. I like continuity, and for us joining the BIGXII we have been respectable. Recruiting is looking up. Gibson is a helluva DC. We need this coaching staff around for awhile and things will happen. Look, let's not fool ourselves, WVU is a Major College football program, but not elite. We have a chance for a NC about every ten years if the cards fall our way. Holgs is doing what any other. WVU coach has done in my lifetime. Hardly ever a losing record, always competetive, usually a bowl game and then we'll have that special year very once in a while. I have zero complaints. We ain't Texas, Bama, OSU, Michigan, etc, etc. We have to develop talent, it doesn't just walk through the doors in bus loads.

2 hours ago, Baseborn Manjack said:

Notre Dame apparently has a player named Equanimeous Tristan Imhotep J St Brown. I'd like to have drinks with his parents & hear their opinions on any topic they choose.

His younger brothers are named Osiris and Amon-Ra.

10 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

I thought coming in that our O-line would be an issue but it hasn't so far. Give Kelly and this receiving corps time and they will beat anyone.

Yeah. The D-line has done nothing, and miscommunication nonstop with this secondary. They all seem lost on every single pass play. Sigh...

Holy shit, Dalvin.

Just unreal. 

Archived