NFL Season 2016: The Shankapotomus Is Real!

Tywin et al.

2 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You can't coach that ability to attempt a hard count

I mean the Jets almost jumped that first time. And then they looked annoyed at the next 5 attempts. 

@ChrisBrownBills
Last TD drive by Jets was shortest scoring drive of the night - the others 65, 75, 66, 77, 84, 69 yards.

9 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Did you hear Simmons podcast this week? I think he said something along the lines of "Belichick can smell death" in regards to just letting overpriced players go. 

A lot of times that seems to be true. But Revis was still great last year with the Jets, no signs of decline at all. He would've been a big asset to the Patriots. Although he definitely would've demanded a multi-year deal, and Belichick probably didn't feel any pressure to do so since they'd just won a SB again. If the Seahawks had beaten the Patriots though, I could've seen Revis getting re-signed.

Richard Seymour also springs to mind immediately. He had three very good seasons with the Raiders after Belichick cut him loose. I think its less that Belichick knows when players are about to decline and more that nearly all players (other than QBs it seems) decline past a certain age and he just never keeps any of them. Law of averages says it works out for him more times than it doesn't.

As to this game, I'm just glad to finally see the Jets beat the Bills again; that recent record was getting out of hand. And considering how rough the schedule still is going forward, they need to lockdown wins wherever they can.

59 minutes ago, Fez said:

A lot of times that seems to be true. But Revis was still great last year with the Jets, no signs of decline at all. He would've been a big asset to the Patriots. Although he definitely would've demanded a multi-year deal, and Belichick probably didn't feel any pressure to do so since they'd just won a SB again. If the Seahawks had beaten the Patriots though, I could've seen Revis getting re-signed.

Richard Seymour also springs to mind immediately. He had three very good seasons with the Raiders after Belichick cut him loose. I think its less that Belichick knows when players are about to decline and more that nearly all players (other than QBs it seems) decline past a certain age and he just never keeps any of them. Law of averages says it works out for him more times than it doesn't.

As to this game, I'm just glad to finally see the Jets beat the Bills again; that recent record was getting out of hand. And considering how rough the schedule still is going forward, they need to lockdown wins wherever they can.

Yep, Belichick just plays the numbers, where other GMs are too stupid to do so. He cuts the old guys who want big contracts, and trades for tons of draft picks. He doesn't have a sense for any individual player, just like he's not any better drafting individual players than other GMs. He just makes the higher expected value play every time and it pays off.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Yeah, I agree that Seymour might be the one outlier. That said, that deal was still gold for them.

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/patriots-still-reaping-rewards-seymour-deal

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I agree that Seymour might be the one outlier. That said, that deal was still gold for them.

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/patriots-still-reaping-rewards-seymour-deal

I don't even think you can compare the Seymour deal with any of the others.  Seymour was dealt because they knew they couldn't pay everybody, and they could get a first round pick for a still in his prime stud D lineman.  Everyone knew Seymour could still play.  The only comparable deal for the Patriots I can think of would be this year's Chandler Jones trade.  He isn't "done", and nobody thinks he is.  But he is replaceable, was going to require a lot of money to resign, and could get good value in a trade. 

In general I buy the wisdom of Belichick cutting guys even if they still have a year or two of production left. The free agency departure of Wes Welker may have hurt the Pats most directly, as he knocked Aqib Talib (wow, autocorrect tried to make that "Taliban") out of a playoff game the next year (and Belichick took the rare step of grumbling about it publicly).

But the Deion Branch trade may have cost them a third straight Super Bowl win, since that was the season with the Reche Caldwell Drop and the Colts finally beating the Pats in the playoffs after that soul crushing comeback. And Jesus, the pick they got for Branch was spent on Brandon Meriweather.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

But the Deion Branch trade may have cost them a third straight Super Bowl win, since that was the season with the Reche Caldwell Drop and the Colts finally beating the Pats in the playoffs after that soul crushing comeback. And Jesus, the pick they got for Branch was spent on Brandon Meriweather.

You are remembering things incorrectly. Branch's last season with the Pats was 2005, when the Steelers won the Super Bowl. The Reche Caldwell game was in 2006. It still might have cost them the game, but at least it didn't deny them the chance at a three-peat. 

18 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Well, apparently someone without the last name of Ryan had to take the bullet...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/16/bills-fire-offensive-coordinator-greg-roman-after-two-games/

I have to say it does seem like he never figured out how to use LeSean Mccoy. They seem incapable of getting that guy into space.

Archived