Veltigar

The Last Kingdom II - NO MERCY [SPOlLERS Season one]

272 posts in this topic

I liked the original arc of Odda. Really great character and actor. It moved me more than anything I think in the finale.

On the other hand, I would have preferred something closer to the book for the final showdown. I understand that the ships and naval battles are a big no no for the show's budget, but they could have at least stayed true to

Spoiler

Erik's death. They made Sigefried more likeable in the show, where they just fight in a duel and Sigefried wins. Whereas in the book, Erik is the archetypal naive idealistic guy who doesn't think for one second that his brother would be able to kill him, and just throws himself to him without fighting. And the brother turns out to be a prick not only to the other people, but also to his own kin.

And here we go -- weeeeeeeee!

So much I have to do, but by golly I've done two of the eps already today, the first day it is streaming here in the USA.

Terrible things are happening all around me, but -- here I can take refuge, among all these people fighting for their existence, their dignity and their honor.  Not to mention their ambition . . . .

Was just skimming through the comments to the final episode of season 2 on the UK Guardian -- peoples are lovin' it and can't wait for season 3.

I have most of season 2 still to watch, and I can't wait for season 3.

The third episode was brutal.

Spoiler

The enslavement of Uhtred and his two companions on a ship, and what happens is depicted ruthlessly.  Though it is done very quickly, and we get through it before the episode is concluded, for the viewer it felt as endless as it does to the victims, and as long as it went on -- much longer -- in the novel.  Glad that is over and done with!

I stayed away, because I had a bunch of things to do yesterday, and today, and I knew that once I started watching, it would be hard to stop. Finished re-watching season 1 on Thursday. Now I'm ready...

You will love it; a definite step up on S1

This was a brilliant season and most satisfying for people who enjoy and search out historical fiction television, of which there's not that much.  Really, not really, that's any good.

I was kind of disappointed though that we saw some horses working in the fields of this 9th century southern angle-land wearing contemporary blinders / blinkers -- and what almost, at least, looked like horse collars, which hadn't yet been invented . . . .  But that was background.  And I could be wrong too -- imagine that!!!!

I will re-watch very soon.

Finished watching season 2. Solid show throughout, top notch acting, and a step up over season 1. I'm glad that Netflix got involved, they needed a medieval show after giving up on Marco Polo, and this is a great choice. For the most part I like the pace of the show. They are still able to fully develop the main events, and so far it has been fairly faithful to the books. Much of the book material consists of Uthred telling the reader how things stand, but the show did that well enough throughout the plot.

I think my favorite episode was 4, when they attack Dunholm and kill Kjartan. All the raw emotion + what I think was the best action sequence so far made for a terrific episode.

Glad we got a bunch of characters, some of whom should have been in season 1, like Steapa, Haesten and Father Pyrlig, but better late than never. Too bad the friendship between Uthred and Steapa was never shown properly, and while I like how they did Haesten, I wish they would have kept his book oath breaking to Uthred.

I also liked the way the through-line was handled, of Lady Æthelflæd's story, in this season.

It's nice to see so many female characters surrounding the protagonist, none of whom are idiots, and all of whom are different from each other.  Also this is the way the audience receives the information that Uhtred's character both enjoys women for their personalities and characters as well as for other reasons that most men don't go beyond, what they can provide in terms of rank, wealth, connection and sex -- all of which are true to book Uhtred's character.  That's probably the reason this Cornwell series has at least as many female readers as male.

I know I'm late to this thread, but we just finished up.... Holy Cow I loved this season... I was critical of this show season one --I thought they moved too fast through the source books-- but this was a fantastic eight episodes of storytelling...

As an aside... if HBO ever decides to do Robert's Rebellion, Millie Brady (Aethelflaed) would make a terrific Lyanna Stark

2 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I know I'm late to this thread, but we just finished up.... Holy Cow I loved this season... I was critical of this show season one --I thought they moved too fast through the source books-- but this was a fantastic eight episodes of storytelling...

As an aside... if HBO ever decides to do Robert's Rebellion, Millie Brady (Aethelflaed) would make a terrific Lyanna Stark

Surely they would use the actress they already have :P 

But I agree, loved this season. The brothers were awesome antagonists and I'm sad to see them go. 

Much of this season was also completely new to me, having only read the first three books. Don't know if that added to or detracted from my enjoyment

Took me a while to get round to watching the final part of the season, but it was worth the wait, I thought it ended very strongly. I liked Aethelflaed's character a lot, and Etherled managed to be more dislikeable than any of the Viking antagonists in the show. I think the whole cast has been doing a good job, and it's got a good variety of interesting characters.

Anyone know if a third season has been ordered?

This show gets right what vikings doesn't... That you can't rush character development in one episode and people actually behave in a logical way... The story is also fast paced, no fillers and really bad ass likeable characters. I hope it gets renewed, this has been my staple European medieval show to watch on tv since I stopped Vikings (S4 was atrocious)