U.S. Politics Inaguration Sensation: Be Prepared

Sivin

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Seriously, what the hell are you guys doing? Do you get something out fighting an obvious troll? 

I don't know about others, but I find it frustrating not to be able to address the problem of false equivalence in a courteous or adult way.
And it's not exactly a minor problem either: false equivalence has systematically been used to defend Trump. Questioning the legitimacy and sincerity of the Democrats seems to have become a very basic rhetorical strategy to defend some terrible Republican candidates or policies.

It so happens that I'm reading about paranoid politics tonight. This article is quite interesting:
http://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Publication Files/17-056_4135db8f-5640-494c-92e8-181568e8b4e1.pdf

A few choice quotes:

We present a simple model of populism as the rejection of “disloyal” leaders. We show that adding the assumption that people are worse off when they experience low income as a result of leader betrayal (than when it is the result of bad luck) to a simple voter choice model yields a preference for incompetent leaders. These deliver worse material outcomes in general, but they reduce the feelings of betrayal during bad times.

The result can be thought of as a political application of the theory of the second best (see, Lancaster and Lipsey, 1956): once leaders are not necessarily honest, it may be worth hiring those that are incompetent. Indeed, the abundance of traitors/corrupt leaders moves voters in the direction of electing incompetent leaders.

Finally, our model suggests populism is a coherent story connecting actions to outcomes rather than an instinctive emotional reaction without much order. Part of the Trump campaign focused on providing an interpretation of recent economic woes in America based on the existence of corruption. [...]  If anything, Trump’s interpretation (and our approach), where betrayal has such a large effect on outcomes, provides too much order. Hofstadter pointed out the paradox: “It is nothing if not coherent – in fact, the paranoid mentality is far more coherent than the real world, since it leaves no room for mistakes, failures, or ambiguities. It is, if not wholly rational, at least intensely rationalistic; it believes that It is up against an enemy who is as infallibly rational as he is totally evil, and it seeks to match is imputed total competence with its own, leaving nothing unexplained and comprehending all of reality in one overreaching, consistent theory.”

We present a simple theory of populism as demand for insurance against betrayal. Incompetent politicians deliver less material well- being to voters but are less capable of betraying their trust.

So... What I gather from this analysis is that it is precisely because some politicians' competence is overestimated that their inefficiency in addressing some societal issues is viewed as evidence of "betrayal" or "corruption."
All this seems an elaborate way of saying that some people have been so disappointed with Democrats, most likely because of their very lofty proferred goals, that they feel betrayed and prefer voting for an incompetent leader who, from their perspective, cannot disappoint because he doesn't give them as high expectations in the first place.
A different way of saying it is that Obama may have truly given hope to many people in 2008, but that because he didn't make good on his promises, this made it possible for a candidate to win the election precisely because he elicits far lesser expectations.
It's twisted, but it seems to hold water. It's an interesting way of looking at the false equivalence fallacy imho.

13 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

I think Obama overestimates the number of people who like to hear a former President commenting on the policies of a current one.

Fox doesn't seem to think they are overestimating the number of people who like to hear from a former vice president and former House speaker who was convicted of a crime on the politics of a formerly current one.

Jesus. Sean Spicer just spent 5 minutes on MSNBC extolling Rick Perry's qualifications because he comes from a state with strong oil and gas production. He only talked about Perry and how he'll work on oil, gas, solar, and said not a single thing about handling our nuclear capability. And the host didn't question him on it. Wow.

5 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

This is factually incorrect to the point of absurdity.

Most violent U.S. cities (Violent crime statistics per 100,000 population)

Baltimore is number 6, D.C. is number 13, Chicago is number 24 and NYC doesn't even make the top 30. At least you got Detroit right though.

In what way is it absurd? They may have gotten the cities wrong but the point is still the same. And they lean democrat heavily. From the list you have quoted:

1. Detroit
  2. Memphis D+25
  3. Oakland D+37
  4. St Louis D+28
  5. Milwaukee D+23

3 minutes ago, Squab said:

In what way is it absurd? They may have gotten the cities wrong but the point is still the same. And they lean democrat heavily. From the list you have quoted:

1. Detroit
  2. Memphis D+25
  3. Oakland D+37
  4. St Louis D+28
  5. Wisconsin D+23

What party leads those States? Just being a Democratic city doesn't mean shit when the State makes all the laws. If I'm not mistaken, 4 out of 5 of those states have a Republican governor and Congress?

51 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

I don't know about others, but I find it frustrating not to be able to address the problem of false equivalence in a courteous or adult way.
And it's not exactly a minor problem either: false equivalence has systematically been used to defend Trump. Questioning the legitimacy and sincerity of the Democrats seems to have become a very basic rhetorical strategy to defend some terrible Republican candidates or policies.

It so happens that I'm reading about paranoid politics tonight. This article is quite interesting:
http://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Publication Files/17-056_4135db8f-5640-494c-92e8-181568e8b4e1.pdf

A few choice quotes:

If this is about me I'm not defending Trump. I pretty much think he sucks. When he threatened to have HRC jailed at that debate it was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in politics. And at this point I'm extremely close to fully believing that he is some sort of sexual assualter borderline rapist. 

The main thing I've tried to defend is that IMO there are much better ideas out there to empower minorities than anything Trump, Hillary, Sanders, or any other prominent politicIan is even talking about.

I think a lot of what goes on is people are presented with guy A and guy B. If guy A seems or actually is a bit more racist than guy B, then that's where they draw the line between racist and non racist. With no thought that there are guys C, D, E, F,....... out there that are far less racist than either A or B. So far less that they make A and B look essentially the same.

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

What party leads those States? Just being a Democratic city doesn't mean shit when the State makes all the laws. If I'm not mistaken, 4 out of 5 of those states have a Republican governor and Congress?

Crime stats tell a different story given crime rates are not uniform within a state.  Have you ever heard of mayoral candidates talk about crime? If you believe them (which far too many people do) they have a lot of influence.

3 minutes ago, Squab said:

Crime stats tell a different story given crime rates are not uniform within a state.  Have you ever heard of mayoral candidates talk about crime? If you believe them (which far too many people do) they have a lot of influence.

This ignores the sources of the crime in the first place, which generally comes from socio-economic factors. The Mayor has very little control over that. 

11 minutes ago, Squab said:

well, yeah, any fucking politician is going to say shit like that. most cities, and by extension their executive leaders, have influence that is limited in scope compared to state governments, especially at addressing widespread and systematic issues that lead to entrenched poverty and crime. same way the gun nuts' cries of "but look at Chicago!!1!" is such bullshit

56 minutes ago, Squab said:

1. Detroit
  2. Memphis D+25
  3. Oakland D+37
  4. St Louis D+28
  5. Wisconsin D+23

Wisconsin is a city?  :stunned:

1 minute ago, Swordfish said:

Sorry....  Old joke.....  

If you wear the stormtrooper boots, we require pics...... 

How many storm trooper pics do you want? Its interesting how theirs an old joke on a a song of ice and fire forum in a politics thread where theirs a stormtrooper joke.

Archived