Football - Leicester's Shakespearean Tragedy

Philokles

Hmm, Liverpool now 6 points clear of United and Arsenal but those two have 2 games in hand.

4 points behind City, one game in hand. It can still be done.

Not shocked by any of last night's results. Liverpool dropping points to Bournemouth is typical.

31 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Hmm, Liverpool now 6 points clear of United and Arsenal but those two have 2 games in hand.

4 points behind City, one game in hand. It can still be done.

Not shocked by any of last night's results. Liverpool dropping points to Bournemouth is typical.

Mane, Lallana and Henderson injuries are not good with our lack of depth and simple at his point we can drop or gain points anywhere. Klopp playing for 2:1 was also a bad idea from on his part. If Mane is out for the seasson, Liverpool won't be in top 4 because as you said they have two games in hand and other are racing away Chelsea, Tottenham and Man City will most likely manage to get third spot.

Let's wait and see. It's still a bit of a lottery who will finish fourth.

A few weeks ago, my guess would have been Manchester will finish second and third behind Chelsea and Liverpool and London's North End will draw lots on who finishes 4th.

But Tottenham have been awfully consistent even without Kane. So now I would guess either United, or Liverpool will get that last ticket to paradise. Then again, if Arsenal really managed to get back into form right now and they went on winning their last games, they might again win Wenger's equivalent to a title. But Arsenal and United have a tough schedule.

The reemerged Leicester (no, idea if they really give it their best when they are safe from relegation by then), Tottenham and United, and Everton on the final day.

United's schedule looks similar. Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Tottenham. And Swansea will also be far from easy.

So at the very least one team will drop points to the other, and the other games, those really do not have walk in the park written all over them. Which means that both teams will probably drop points along the way. So 12 more points could be enough to cross the finish line for Liverpool in a CL spot: If they managed to win 5 of their last 8 they are probably safe.

:rolleyes: That would be teriible as Firmino is essential to how Klopp wants to play. Thought it was weird that he was the one you were calling out the other day but im used to him being your scapegoat. He did his job well enough vs Bournemouth. Wasn't great by any means but far from our worst player and he got an assist. Not his fault at all that Wijnadum and Klavan made atrocious individual mistakes that lead to goals. 

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Not his fault at all that Wijnadum and Klavan made atrocious individual mistakes that lead to goals. 

I thought they may have passed beyond atrocious to almost comedic.  What did Klavan think the striker wanted to do?

Klopp got a lot of flak for bringing on Matip for Coutinho.  I didn't see the game but was there a better option?  It sounds like Coutinho was tired (coming down with this illness) and he hasn't played beyond 70 minutes in many matches lately.  I can't think of anyone we had on the bench who would have been better.  Maybe Grujic but he hasn't played in months. 

6 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I thought they may have passed beyond atrocious to almost comedic.  What did Klavan think the striker wanted to do?

Klopp got a lot of flak for bringing on Matip for Coutinho.  I didn't see the game but was there a better option?  It sounds like Coutinho was tired (coming down with this illness) and he hasn't played beyond 70 minutes in many matches lately.  I can't think of anyone we had on the bench who would have been better.  Maybe Grujic but he hasn't played in months. 

It was a shite bench to be fair, but the idea is that if he had to bring off Coutinho he could have brought on Sturridge and kept the pressure on, because while being too open against the smaller teams has been a failure for you lot this season, against Bournemouth with their shite defence but really rather good attack putting more distance between you was more likely than holding on for 2-1 for the length of time it was.

Looks like if Arsenal want to sneak a top four spot they'll have to do it at the expense of Liverpool and United.

Chelsea and Tottenham are locks for the top four, and CIty are in decent shape.

Still not sure whether long-term that is the best thing for us. It might be good to miss out on the top four to shake things up a bit.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

It was a shite bench to be fair, but the idea is that if he had to bring off Coutinho he could have brought on Sturridge and kept the pressure on, because while being too open against the smaller teams has been a failure for you lot this season, against Bournemouth with their shite defence but really rather good attack putting more distance between you was more likely than holding on for 2-1 for the length of time it was.

Klopp said he didnt feel like Sturridge was ready for 30 minutes of action having just returned from an injury but yeah maybe throwing Woodburn on or something would have been better. 

That's some strange rationale. If Sturridge is not ready for even 30 minutes then he shouldn't be on the bench. I know 'Pool have a thin squad but if a player is not fit enough to play even half an hour then he is a waste of space on the bench.

If Bournemouth could take some points off Chelsea, ManUtd beat them next and then Everton. It's realistic considering Chelsea is far from impressive in the current form and Tottenham without many key players have been awesome.

Spurs looked really impressive tonight.  They actually slowed down and seemed less dangerous once Kane came on.  I am glad they got him on the pitch for a bit.  Son has been damn impressive, though.  Hope they find a way to keep him in starting.

-I love Sturridge. Dont think he will ever get back to his 13/14 level but man it would be cool to see him get a good run of games/form going. 

-Klopps changes worked out for once! Helps when you're putting three of your most talented players on though :D 

-Credit to Migs, defense was mostly awful in front of him and he stepped up and made some great saves in that second half. 

-Hopefully Henderson and Lallana will be back soon otherwise I still don't have much hope for top four. 

Archived