U.S. Politics: Russian Around

drawkcabi

4 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Rachel Maddow continues to dig up some really compelling Trump stories. This one involves a connection between Trump Tower Baku in Azerbaijan and an extremely corrupt Transportation Minister who is apparently laundering money for the Iranian Revolutionary Guard...

Isn't this the story out of the New Yorker quoted a number of pages back? And pretty well dismissed by an expert on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act?

15 hours ago, Commodore said:

have districts drawn by a Democratic legislature ever been voided?

LOL!  The basis of the decision in question is Shaw v. Reno (1993), which rendered race-based gerrymandering unconstitutional - but later decisions (e.g. Easley v. Cromartie 2001) clarified political based gerrymandering was not unconstitutional.  The irony is Shaw was a decidedly conservative decision - the liberal block at the time dissented in a 5-4 decision - because the redistricting in question were attempting to create majority-minority districts, thus increasing minority representation.  

The opinion of the case previously linked clarifies this redistricting attempt does meet the standard of a Shaw-type racial gerrymandering claim (see pgs. 29-33 for a start).  So, to answer your question - yes, districts drawn by Democratic legislatures not only have been voided, SCOTUS originally established such a standard against (North Carolina) Democratic redistricting plans.  In this current case, the GOP has been hoisted by their own petard!

2 hours ago, Triskan said:

Do you guys remember when the Republicans were so starved for an Obama conspiracy theory that they tried to go to town on "Fast and Furious?"  Cause I remember that.  

Pepperidge Farm remembers!  Sorry, couldn't resist.

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Isn't this the story out of the New Yorker quoted a number of pages back? And pretty well dismissed by an expert on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act?

Yes. Not sure the lawyer dismissed it as nothing as so much said that in the current form with current knowledge, it couldn't be proved that Trump violated the FCPA.

It's still shady as fuck and deserves further investigation.

1 hour ago, Leap said:

A former Wikileaks activist, may or may not have an axe to grind.

Presence of servers in Russia is evidence of not much in itself. Bu there seems to be plenty of other evidence about Russian interference in US politics and information being released via Wikileaks that it would make sense for Wikileaks to have servers in Russia, so that Russia can feed Wikileaks information without having to move the information across national boundaries before Wikileaks dumps it on the world and therefore make the information untraceable.  

Oops.

Sean Spicer was in an Apple Store in DC and a member of the public started asking him questions about government policy. He got annoyed and said, "Such a great country that allows you to be here." The member of public was of Indian descent, but was a natural-born American citizen.

Here's what I don't get about Trump and his healthcare plan. If it passes it will be worse the Obamacare an he creates an issue for dems run on for 2018 and 2020 successfully. Or it fails and Trump looks like a idiot for blowing a promise with his party controlling both houses. So it's a rock an a hard place

9 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Here's what I don't get about Trump and his healthcare plan. If it passes it will be worse the Obamacare an he creates an issue for dems run on for 2018 and 2020 successfully. Or it fails and Trump looks like a idiot for blowing a promise with his party controlling both houses. So it's a rock an a hard place

Trump has already told us why he is in this spot:

“I have to tell you, it's an unbelievably complex subject,” he told the reporters. “Nobody knew that health care could be so complicated.”

Guess he thought he could just tell Congress to repeal it already and boom, it would be done.   Dumbshit.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2017/02/27/trump_says_nobody_knew_health_care_could_be_so_complicated.html

edt; I speculate that when Obama heard this quote he wet his pants laughing.

26 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

The problem with being a trash talker is somebody might call you on it.

That's the situation he is in.

3 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Guess he thought he could just tell Congress to repeal it already and boom, it would be done.   Dumbshit.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2017/02/27/trump_says_nobody_knew_health_care_could_be_so_complicated.html

Of course Trump didn't believe Obama when he said healthcare is complicated because Obama suffers from total integumentary hypermelanosis, which 18th century science proved is associated with lower intelligence.

3 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Even a LBJ or FDR would have difficulty cobbling together a winning coalition between the fractious factions of the GOP right now.  What will be interesting to see now is a test of Trump's resolve.  He's at least been smart enough to maintain some distance between Ryan's plan and full-throttle support.  If/when he sees the Freedom Caucus and GOP Senators that insist on maintaining the Medicare expansion cannot be reconciled, does he cut the cord or dig in?  My money's on the former.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Oops.

Sean Spicer was in an Apple Store in DC and a member of the public started asking him questions about government policy. He got annoyed and said, "Such a great country that allows you to be here." The member of public was of Indian descent, but was a natural-born American citizen.

Perfectly encapsulates the heigth of arrogance and narrow minded people that now run the train wreck formerly known as the U.S. of A.  SMGDH!!:angry:

12 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/dean-heller-obamacare-republicans-235978

Another key Republican senator knocks GOP Obamacare plan
Nevada Sen. Dean Heller raises numerous objections to the House bill, according to audio obtained by POLITICO.

Heller must really be feeling some heat from his constituents, 'cuz really, he's just a water carrier for the GOP.  Interesting. The R Governor, Sandoval, embraced the ACA and brought the Medicaid expansion to Nevada.  That was really a good move as Nevada had been hit hard in the financial meltdown which saw a lot of business contraction, many homes lost and a lowering of wages.  Nevada is a place where the bad effects of the recession have lingered*, and losing the ACA for Trumpcare would be a disaster. 

* what's that word you use @OldGimletEye for the lasting effects of a downturn?  Can't remember it right now, that describes much of Nevada.

8 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Even a LBJ or FDR would have difficulty cobbling together a winning coalition between the fractious factions of the GOP right now.  

Maybe, but they were experienced pols who would know what they were facing.  They would know going in who the opposition is and who their allies were.  Not mention experience with the process of changing laws and working the politics of it and how to get thinks done.

Apparently, Pres Orange Thingie didn't have a fucking clue doesn't quite understand the process.  See the difference?

Well, I know this is not exactly the news item we were hoping for, but you can't be picky about anything that begins with "Steve Bannon 'under criminal investigation":

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/steve-bannon-voter-fraud-criminal-investigation-donald-trump-adviser-white-house-a7626721.html

Obviously, nothing will come of it, but it does give us the tantalizing "Breaking Bad"-ish details about "bizarre incidents at the property, including strange visitors and loud noises during the night and property damage worth tens of thousands from doors being padlocked or removed entirely or a hot tub seemingly destroyed by "acid".

2 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

* what's that word you use @OldGimletEye for the lasting effects of a downturn?  Can't remember it right now, that describes much of Nevada.

Hysteresis.

In more plain spoken language:"Man when the Republican Party fucks you over, it really fucks you over."

Any way, more tales from Republican nutland:

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/03/trump-omb-director-claims-obama-manipulated-unemployment-figures

President Trump has already claimed that Barack Obama left him an economy in a "mess"; that Obama is probably behind all the protests and leaks; and that Obama had him wiretapped during the campaign. Now along comes OMB Director Mick Mulvaney to add yet another ugly accusation:

We thought for a long time, I did, that the Obama administration was manipulating the numbers in terms of the number of people in the workforce to make the unemployment rate, that percentage rate, look smaller than it actually was.

These folks just don't stop. This isn't quite as bad as the wiretapping thing, but it's still plenty appalling. Then there was this:

And they're coming to take me away ha haaa
They're coming to take me away ha haaa ho ho hee hee
To the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see those nice young men
In their clean white coats

And they're coming to take me away
To the happy home with trees and flowers and chirping birds
And basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes
And they're coming to take me away ha haaa!

You know, Donald Trump didn't start crazy nonsense. The Republican Party has been doing it for a long time. Trump is a bullshit artist, but he just found a party where his crazy nonsense would get an audience.

Jack Welch pulled this bullshit a few years back. 

Its fine to look at other data like EPOP or U6, or whatever, to get a better view of the state of the labor markets. But, you know, the Republican Party didn't chose to go that route. It just stays with crazy.

On 3/12/2017 at 4:05 AM, dmc515 said:

The opinion of the case previously linked clarifies this redistricting attempt does meet the standard of a Shaw-type racial gerrymandering claim (see pgs. 29-33 for a start).  So, to answer your question - yes, districts drawn by Democratic legislatures not only have been voided, SCOTUS originally established such a standard against (North Carolina) Democratic redistricting plans.  In this current case, the GOP has been hoisted by their own petard!

I'm always amused at the goldilocks redistricting standard. 

If we don't have majority minority districts, that's racist. But if they are too concentrated, that's also racist.  

The real problem is the majority minority requirement, which is inherently offensive. Districts should be color blind. 

Archived